Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jimicus t1_isl7rkk wrote

Considering that in just six weeks in office, Liz Truss has:

1. Seen the death of the Queen. (I maintain this is not a coincidence).
  2. Done nothing for ten days because it was a period of national mourning.
  3. Crashed the economy, brought the pound almost level pegging with the dollar and very nearly destroyed an awful lot of people's pension funds.
  4. Sacked the Chancellor she appointed only a few weeks previously, then denied sacking him.

In theory, she has at least two years before we're due another election. So she could stay in power that long.

In practise, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if she either resigns or calls an election within the next week.

mypantsareonmyhead t1_islyvc8 wrote

Watching Britain and the US and A from afar - I swear, it's hard to tell which of the two is the biggest clusterfuck sometimes.

sexybimbogf t1_ismtrlu wrote

eh, we take turns. we're friendly like that tbh.

Pelicanliver t1_isn3w64 wrote

Canadian here. Hoping it all goes away. Some of the fever is creeping in around us.

whyhercules t1_isnfzzn wrote

You just know if people were to storm Downing Street, they’d probably be doing the country a favour. Because somehow, worse and worse people keep getting put in charge. The electoral college may be dumb, but the British system isn’t much worse at the end of the day.

fat-bat t1_israxti wrote

It’s us !(US) we are Still dealing with Trump and the people that want to take the country back to the 50’s

Simplyobsessed2 t1_ist0rwd wrote

Until they stop shooting five year olds at school the USA will always be the bigger clusterfuck.

The_Jealous_Witch t1_isnde7r wrote

A ten-day period of doing absolutely nothing being your best performance thus far isn't what I'd call a ringing endorsement.

jimicus t1_isne73x wrote

Considering she crashed the economy almost immediately after the ten day period, she’d only actually been doing anything for about seven days at the time.

As one journalist pointed out, that’s about the shelf life of a lettuce. Hence the live stream.

a4techkeyboard t1_isngauu wrote

Has he been sacked again? Because I watched either HIGNFY or Mock the Week and I swear for two weeks straight they talked about him having just been sacked.

Inconceivable-2020 t1_isopz7n wrote

If they even suspected that she was going to call for elections, Tories would have her disappeared.