Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

KBAR1942 t1_iupn36z wrote

What happened to him?

desertrock62 t1_iupnp93 wrote

He got sent back stateside right away. That would have effectively ended his career (not promotable). I didn’t know him personally, so I don’t know if he was married.

I had seen her because she roomed with ladies I worked with.

sor1 t1_iuscsd4 wrote

were her roommates ifrc too? do you think they knew?

desertrock62 t1_iusgqj4 wrote

No, they were military. They didn’t know, because there wouldn’t be much overlap in duty responsibilities. Also, this lady moved in very early. Most people rolled in afterwards, so her being there was ”normal”.

In the early days, things were not very organized. If you were inside the perimeter, you were assumed “safe”. It wasn’t until many months later that ID was required to enter the chow hall. Until then, you just got in line with everyone else. The housing was likewise disorganized, with lots of turnover. With people rolling in and out every few weeks or months, it was easy to blend in. Show up for chow, watch movies together, show up for Salsa Night, and you’re part of the community.

sor1 t1_iusvobm wrote

oh, i didnt realize this was 2003.
i guess we will never know if she actually even work for the red cross/red crescent in 2003 at all, like after the invasion. she couldve also been a former delegate deciding to "parlay" her knowledge to living somewhere safe.

was the red cross compound that was bombed in august 2003 also part of this safe zone? maybe she had crashed there before.

eh, sorry for my curiosity.