Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

mdeltam t1_iy6y5gq wrote

I’m just going to put this legal monopoly dick move out there:

You land on someone’s property and are about to go bankrupt.

Before you declare bankruptcy you can always trade properties for cash to try to make the rent. You trade everything you own and all your cash to someone you want to win for one of their dollars.

Then when you declare bankruptcy the landlord gets everything you have left, a dollar.

I only use this if someone is being completely insufferable. It doesn’t help, but at least now they have a reason.

GOLDANDAPPELINC t1_iy7zg0c wrote

Okay, that particular dick move is actually legal, but still a dick move. The game was invented to bash capitalism, after all, and nobody who is losing hard isn't going to eg: help his wife out if he wants the rest of the evening to go well. I'm talking more about the shit people do that makes it take forever (the chief complaint) such as the "Free Parking Pot" and refusing to trade at all.

GOLDANDAPPELINC t1_iy7zyby wrote

Y'know what the best dick move in Monopoly is? Are you prepared to read the big black evil book bound in human flesh? The rules say you don't replace houses with pennies or Lifesavers or some shit when they run out - when they're gone, they're gone. So never build hotels and nobody else can build anything. Check and mate.

My nickname in my Monopoly club (yes, I know) was "Slumlord." I would give some sucker my entire bankroll for Baltic and Mediterranean and then bleed them like Jack the Ripper.