Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

squarepeg0000 t1_j6hfhx2 wrote

Yob: a rude, noisy, and aggressive young person.

I had to Google it...never heard that word before.

BeYourself2021 t1_j6hk7j8 wrote

YOB. lol sounds like something the British would say lol. Seems to roll off the tongue easily, and especially after a few drinks.

GetlostMaps t1_j6hm4mi wrote

In Australia we say Yobbo.

Calorus t1_j6hn7td wrote

In Australia, you say "o" then try to find a word to put in front of it.

itskdog t1_j6im5ui wrote

It's boy backwards, which I believe may be the etymology, though that may just be what I was taught as a child.

brick_eater t1_j6jidxk wrote

It is something the British would say (source: am Brit)

GatoradeNipples t1_j6hfv0p wrote

Someone's never seen A Clockwork Orange, or they'd realize this isn't the greatest plan.

autoposting_system t1_j6hga5o wrote

The glorious Ninth

TheSean_aka_Rh1no t1_j6hwqhc wrote

I don't remember the movie, or the scene you refer to, but I do know me some Symphony #9, and that is some proper 1820s fight music right there!

Mrsparkles7100 t1_j6hzifd wrote

Or they get inspired by Gary Oldman and his killing spree in Leon.

Stansfield : I like these calm little moments before the storm. It reminds me of Beethoven. Can you hear it? It's like when you put your head to the grass and you can hear the growin' and you can hear the insects

You don't like Beethoven. You don't know what you're missing. Overtures like that get my... juices flowing. So powerful. But after his openings, to be honest, he does tend to get a little f***ing boring. That's why I stopped!

greetp t1_j6hzp92 wrote

Or Stansfield in Leon (the Professional).

A_norny_mousse t1_j6hf0rv wrote

Damn, "yob" must be a really common word in Wales, the article uses it 5x without explaining.

Howtothinkofaname t1_j6hgzfp wrote

It’s a very well understood word in Britain, I wouldn’t expect a newspaper to explain it. Comes from the word boy, but backwards.

EdgeOfWetness t1_j6ikdoq wrote

Not everywhere is Britain, just as not everywhere is the US.

−3

Howtothinkofaname t1_j6ilx63 wrote

I’m well aware of that. But local newspapers tend to write for local audiences.

EdgeOfWetness t1_j6im897 wrote

Oh I firmly expect the newspaper article to be local. But the posting on reddit would be helpful if it came with the vocabulary lesson.

Or a [Britain] tag

−4

RevengencerAlf t1_j6kjjx5 wrote

The first part of the URL, literally visible at the top of this thread, is walesonline with a uk web address.

If someone hasn't figured out that this is british news they deserve to be damned to an eternity of geography based confusion

23drag t1_j6imunu wrote

thats on you mate not the poster to understand the lingo.

−2

__Shake__ t1_j6hjiwy wrote

I find Bri'ish slang to be quite fascinating, especially when the origin is explained. Don't think I've heard "backwards" as an explanation before though

−8

residentdunce t1_j6hgx7f wrote

It's a fairly archaic term tbh and often the reserve of aged boomers and the right wing press. It's usually also used as a term for working class youth by the aforementioned.

Howtothinkofaname t1_j6hguu5 wrote

This has been a pretty common thing in late night McDonald’s in Britain for years. And some not late night.

Frangipani_Glass t1_j6kul9f wrote

A McDonald’s in downtown Denver, Colorado, did this from open to close throughout the late 90’s and early 2000’s. I moved away so I don’t know if it’s still a thing.

Gilgie t1_j6hhend wrote

What is a ute?

Consistent-Flan1445 t1_j6hm6gt wrote

It’s the word us aussies use to describe what Americans call a pickup truck. I didn’t realise the Brits used it too

DoubleALight t1_j6hn84k wrote

A ‘youth’, it’s just slang for it, usually means young wannabe gangsters causing trouble.

boweroftable t1_j6io69j wrote

From Jamaican English, the breathy ‘th’ sound isn’t used in that dialect

CondorLane t1_j6jg0f6 wrote

A local pub in my little town was claimed as their regular spot by a group of traveler people who scared away the other clientele by starting fights and had to be thrown out by police a bunch of times. The landlord started playing classical music all night and they moved on pretty quickly. It works apparently.

nyrB2 t1_j6jgs6q wrote

and what about the yobs that *like* beethoven?

i guess ronald macdonald never watched clockwork orange

Isteppedinpoopy t1_j6jr2r1 wrote

Viddy well droog

Cakeski t1_j6l2do3 wrote

Come my little droogies, we shall drink our milk and have at them with a bit of ultra violence.

nick_shannon t1_j6hwh77 wrote

Some of the tube stations that are in the not so great areas play classical music through the speaker systems and have done for a while now.

Chasman1965 t1_j6ila3a wrote

The Wal-Marts have started this. I went to one recently that mainly played "bro-country." I went to another that was playing 90s music in the parking lot.

Jman50k t1_j6ipb8a wrote

Does "yob" occupy the same ideological space in England as "thug" does in US media-speak?

robonut5 t1_j6iewag wrote

But I like Beethoven

factman1000 t1_j6kicya wrote

Annoying music (too loud) deters everyone.

Life-Meal6635 t1_j6l4hql wrote

There’s a 7-11 in Los Angeles that blasts opera to discourage the homeless from hanging out

HoppityHooper t1_j6lko0d wrote

So if you're Verdi hungry and too Bizet to cook Bach home, this music helps you Handel yourself and not be too Straussed.

TimeShareOnMars t1_j6kbbym wrote

Learned another fun British slang term....some tines I wonder why we kicked the Brits out if USA...then i remember they banned all guns, all knives, and allow for no self protection or self defense and I remember why.

But I might use that YOB and yell it at some one...so at least we have that in common!

−4

sneer0101 t1_j6lyamd wrote

>then i remember they banned all guns, all knives, and allow for no self protection or self defense and I remember why.

None of this is true. It's genuinely incredible how much they indoctrinate you with bullshit over there.

And for that reason, I'm sure they're glad they're not part of your country.

>so at least we have that in common.

You're literally speaking their language. Are you ok?

CuriousGeorge__82 t1_j6mhubv wrote

It’s like they have no capacity for independent thought, or like the world outside the US is completely alien to them.

The idea that modern day British people ever think about the fact the US was once a colony… it’s like 300 years ago. Such a weird worldview.

TimeShareOnMars t1_j6oao7p wrote

In the UK, it’s illegal for any member of the public to carry a lethal or non-lethal self-defense weapon. The maximum sentence for possessing a weapon in the UK is 6 years in prison, whilst possessing firearms is 10 years. This includes pepper spray, any knife, or other weapon for self-defense. Any knife you can cary that opens one handed and locks...illegal. pepper spray...illegal to use. Your only option is to be faster or stronger than your attacker. Period.

https://brittontime.com/2021/10/22/everything-you-need-to-know-about-self-defence-law-in-the-uk/#:~:text=Are%20self%20defence%20weapons%20legal%20in%20the%20UK%3F,possessing%20firearms%20is%2010%20years.

−1

CuriousGeorge__82 t1_j6ofroi wrote

If I lived in the US I’d want to be armed, because it’s so dangerous.

The UK isn’t dangerous. British people don’t need to be armed to the hilt on a daily basis. The US has 18x as many murders despite only being 6x larger in population. Last year there were six months with no shootings at all in London. That would be unheard of in NYC or LA. Even stabbings are worse in the US.

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Violent-crime/Murders

TimeShareOnMars t1_j6oiasa wrote

It is definitely an issue. I live in a pretty rural area. It's relatively safe, but we have our share of gang violence and plenty of guns. I carry a firearm and other items for personal defense daily. I don't like going to other states where firearm carry is prohibited. My permit to carry is good in about 33 states.

I have to travel to NYC soon. No guns allowed for me there... very restrictive knife laws (most locking one-handed opening knives can be classified as an illegal gravity knife through a very tortured interpretation of their law).

Guns have always been part of my life growing up. Going hunting or shooting for recreation at family holidays.

−1

CuriousGeorge__82 t1_j6ok69v wrote

Yeah I get it if guns have always been a part of your life, or you live somewhere rural.

For me it’s something I never think about, because virtually nobody is armed. Not even the police usually. And gun crime is so rare it’s not really a worry for me. I feel bad that you have to worry about it daily.

TimeShareOnMars t1_j6oa9jw wrote

In the UK, it’s illegal for any member of the public to carry a lethal or non-lethal self-defense weapon. The maximum sentence for possessing a weapon in the UK is 6 years in prison, whilst possessing firearms is 10 years. This includes pepper spray, any knife, or other weapon for self-defense. Any knife you can cary that opens one handed and locks...illegal. pepper spray...illegal to use. Your only option is to be faster or stronger than your attacker. Period.

https://brittontime.com/2021/10/22/everything-you-need-to-know-about-self-defence-law-in-the-uk/#:~:text=Are%20self%20defence%20weapons%20legal%20in%20the%20UK%3F,possessing%20firearms%20is%2010%20years.