Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

EcchiOli t1_j5zh4b8 wrote

The first time I read about a washing machine that needed an apache server update, I felt something perish inside of me.

zgembo1337 t1_j60d0le wrote

This is actually useful, because you can schedule the washing, get notified when it's done and start the wash at the right time for it to be done when you get home from work (so that wet clothes don't stay inside for hours if you're late at work)

Alaishana t1_j65emif wrote

And why exactly do you NEED all that?

Gimmicks.

ShitholeWorld t1_j67rc2t wrote

I feel like a lot of these things are solving non-problems. I've never thought "gee, I wish I could schedule my washing machine remotely."

As for notifications? If I'm home, I'll hear the machine stop. If I'm not home, what am I going to do about it?

zgembo1337 t1_j65vtr7 wrote

Because I can schedule the wash to be done when i get home, and then hang the clothes to dry immediately and be free for the rest of the day

The alternative is an ordinary timer, but if i stay longer at work, the clothes will stay in the drum and get crinckled, if a meeting is cancelled, I'll be home already before the wash even starts, and I'll have to wait for it to finish, before i can go somewhere else.

You dont need-need it, but it's nice to have, and doesn't really cost a lot... I can get a connected washer for ~300eur here, maybe even less if it's on a sale. If you reall dont need it, just don't connect it to wifi, and it'll still be a dumb offline washer