Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

wefarrell t1_j6tvu31 wrote

This isn't mass illegal immigration though. These are asylum seekers who entered the country through ports of entry, presented their case to border patrol, and are waiting to have it heard by an immigration judge.

−50

bittoxic00 t1_j6ugset wrote

The wait in Mexico policy really was onto something now that you think of it

movingtobay2019 t1_j6uxgwh wrote

And what the fuck do you think happens when their asylum case is denied, as is the case the vast majority of time? They just get up and leave?

NYC is seeing first hand why fiscal reality > feelings. Hopefully the bleeding hearts wake the fuck up but I am not holding my breath.

wefarrell t1_j6vc01p wrote

Well yeah, if they face death back home then they probably won't return and I don't blame them. Either way they didn't enter illegally, they're not here illegally and they've followed the legal asylum process.

−24

koreamax t1_j6w332s wrote

It's kinda funny how much dehumanizing people do that are defending this, without even knowing. Assuming that all of them are from warzones and are only safe in the US.

There's a reason so many towns in Central America have so few men. They all come here to make money to send to their family. That's fine, but if the situation was really that dire, they wouldn't leave their children there.

nybx4life t1_j6xab0y wrote

Safer to risk one than the whole family I assume.

throws_rocks_at_cars t1_j6uh0e4 wrote

How is this not mass illegal immigration

They are immigrating into the country, illegally, in mass.

wefarrell t1_j6vb5rk wrote

They're not though. If that were the case they wouldn't be bussed to NYC, they'd be deported. There is a process for asylum seekers that's defined by law and they've followed it.

−12

Longjumping_Vast_797 t1_j6wrmdy wrote

First safe country absolutely would be Costa Rica for anyone coming from South America. It's a fucking tourist destination. Noone can claim it isn't a safe haven. Literally any place beyond is truly an economic migrant, which isn't seeking asylum.

Yongle_Emperor t1_j735rzw wrote

Majority is masquerading as Asylum Seekers. They are for the most part economic migrants.

captainktainer t1_j6u1aeq wrote

Yeah, this is "Cuba and Venezuela are collapsing and there's a mass wave of human suffering moving through the Americas," not the "illegals" boogeyman. Most of that happens with visa overstays - a phenomenon which NYC has always been an epicenter of - and not border hoppers.

Like, people think the Cuban refugee crisis was bad when Elian Gonzalez was on everyone's mind - this year is by far the worst emigration crisis since the Cuban Revolution.

−6