Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

KaiDaiz t1_j9vcxu1 wrote

Also love that we considering a pricey tunnel to improve the neighborhood, and air quality in one of the priciest parts of Brooklyn when we still debating capping highways in poor areas of Bronx that's been asking for a long time.

Tunnel idea basically a want idea to boast their land values & remove the unsightly expressway blocking their views. Fix that road as is, if they want a different route do it and we think about capping it in the future.

−5

TeamMisha t1_j9wgiap wrote

I agree, CBE seems more pressing tbh when there is already a proposal for the BQE to rebuild the cantilever into a basic and cheaper to maintain box-structure with park space on top. DOT is kicking off a multi-million dollar study for the CBE but I don't foresee capping ever happening really

Bertie_Woo t1_j9yq1li wrote

The Brooklyn Heights section is also uniquely owned by the city. I think the wealthy Brooklyn Heights residents should buy bonds to fund the tunnel/park. The completed project would benefit everyone.

Ok_Yogurtcloset8915 t1_ja0jbwz wrote

great, let's set the precedent that neighborhoods only get the infrastructure they can directly fund, that definitely won't backfire

Bertie_Woo t1_ja0li20 wrote

I don't think they even have enough money to directly fund it fully. All the NY Moses highways were originally funded by bonds. Seems fair that they would be buried with a similar mechanism.