Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

101ina45 t1_j7vevwf wrote

Yeah, a home somewhere that sucks for most people interested living in NYC.

colourcodedcandy t1_j7viv44 wrote

Well the city can't be highly coveted and the center of everything and be cheap at the same time -- it's expensive because so many people want to live there and there is little supply

101ina45 t1_j7w1vgr wrote

I don't disagree. Why we need to work on increasing supply.

I can afford it, but it shouldn't take what I make to live here.

ChornWork2 t1_j7w2k6u wrote

Supply is the issue. Need to streamline zoning rules and facilitate more construction.

[deleted] t1_j7wezjk wrote

[deleted]

−2

[deleted] t1_j7wr1bi wrote

In what world is housing cheap in Tokyo and Seoul? Both markets are more expensive per square feet to buy than nyc. Rent is sort of cheaper there because there’s extreme stigma against renting and people own for the sake of owning. Adjust the rent prices to local salary as well in both cities and it’s still miserable.

[deleted] t1_j7vyqb1 wrote

Let’s all move to middle of rural America!

[deleted] t1_j7wqpt6 wrote

You can have a mortgage on a house in Queens for that price. My mortgage is like 2k lol. And yeah Queens is part of the city I can get to Manhattan in an hour.

There are coops in queens for like 200k which is only 5 years of 4k a month rents.

101ina45 t1_j7y1ad8 wrote

You're right. With that said, not everyone is willing to stomach an hour commute to Manhattan.

Personally I would rather do that than move to Ohio or some BS, but don't think that's true for everyone.

[deleted] t1_j7zh3ar wrote

It’s increasingly more common to have a job in the outer boroughs and live in the outer boroughs. So living in eastern queens isn’t the commute death sentence that it used to be for more and more people. Agree that the 1 hour commute would suck. But hey is it worth a 2k+ premium in rent? That’s for each to their own to decide.