Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ZA44 t1_j8w7fdw wrote

> City correction officers, who are largely barred from cooperating with federal immigration officials, on at least several occasions in recent years went above and beyond to coordinate with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents in the deportation of incarcerated immigrants, according to a trove of emails unveiled during a City Council hearing on Wednesday.

I don’t get the outrage, if you commit a crime and your immigration status is dodgy then you should be deported. Also, a ICE detention center is probably better than Rikers.

railsonrails t1_j8wnbd4 wrote

See, I’m with you for violent crime, but it’s not just violent crime that sends you down the NYPD to DOC to ICE deportation pipeline.

See for instance the case of Castillo Maradiaga, a DACA recipient who got arrested for jaywalking in the Bronx and then sent over to ICE.

sad as it is, criminal statutes are enforced unevenly (if you’re gonna start ticketing people for jaywalking in New York without racial prejudice…that’s about 8 million people who’re jail-bound)

Not unopposed to violent felons being deported, but I’ll bring up the Exonerated Five as an example of people being wrongly convicted for violent felonies. Sadly that wasn’t a one-off and the trend continues even today — and I don’t think anyone should be denied a future in the US because an overeager DA was wanting to increase their conviction rate.

IKNWMORE t1_j91gjla wrote

I doubt he was sent to jail for just Jaywalking. There is more to the story the article isn’t saying. Also in the article it self it states that he was sent to ICE on error.

−4