Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

drpvn t1_jaek1kv wrote

Working from home?

This headline reminds me how much a certain demographic fucking loved the pandemic.

k1lk1 t1_jaekpmp wrote

When you hate society, you think anything that shakes up society is a step forward. Turns out it was a step backward in a lot of ways, but at least more people now understand that teachers unions do not give a shit about your kid.

−13

Starkville t1_jaelanp wrote

Have you ever seen one of them be demolished and removed?

If you have, you wouldn’t eat inside one.

wefarrell t1_jaeo3vy wrote

The original streetsblog post is not clear about what the plans are:

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2023/02/27/exclu-council-will-move-ahead-with-seasonal-outdoor-dining-plan/

One council member says:

>The plan is not to make permanent the current outdoor dining sheds you see on our streets or continue with this patchwork quilt of random structures – some that are impressive and creative extensions of their brick-and-mortar motherships and some that have come to more closely resemble abandoned shipwrecks from the First World War – but to create a better program with new rules, new standards, clear design guidelines and operating requirements, moving away from the year-round structures that often sit empty during the winter months

That's entirely reasonable, we need these things to be regulated.

mrpicollo t1_jaeojqb wrote

Get rid of them. The side walks are for the people and the cars for the streets.

Also, pedestrian walk areas like in Mid-Town Manhattan need to be removed or reduced.

−6

bklyn1977 t1_jaepkru wrote

We always had outdoor dining. It's not new. Nobody is stopping sidewalk cafe permits.

dproma t1_jaepxwr wrote

They’re an abomination.

It’s 2023. Time to move on already.

Ok_Student3720 t1_jaeqnqb wrote

Glorified rat shacks- can’t wait to see them gone

What_Yr_Is_IT t1_jaeqyvg wrote

Move on from what? Eating outdoors like most major cities in America?

I do agree the shit or abandoned ones need to go but there’s plenty of nice ones out there that expand on the dining room of small restaurants

−1

cranberryskittle t1_jaev6ir wrote

Pretty unsurprising that Slate would come out in defense of the ugly, bulky, rat-infested, eyesore dining sheds. They really can't be dismantled soon enough.

Now, adding a few tables outside isn't really hurting anything, as long as it doesn't take up too much of the pedestrian area of the sidewalk.

Elevate247 t1_jaeyv5u wrote

95% of them are rat infested. Work across the street from a very fancy restaurant & if you all only knew the rats that go in & out after closing

Phil330 t1_jaezfw3 wrote

In a city struggling economically the sales taxes they generate are very helpful.

EzNotReal t1_jaezv3l wrote

Community boards aren’t representative of the community, they’re representative of people with nothing better to do (retirees). I would if I could but I don’t have the time.

koji00 t1_jaf08l0 wrote

Total editorializing in the headline. What kind of journalism is this?

SettingSufficient788 t1_jaf0moz wrote

Can someone explain why dining in street shacks in the winter months is so awesome?

WorthPrudent3028 t1_jaf0xtz wrote

Yep. That's pretty much the Montreal model, and Montreal's model is both really good and has been around for a long time. But instead of just having them send over their plans and making minor adjustments for NYC, I'm sure we will pay for a bunch of studies and never get anything passed.

We also need to bring back alcohol to go.

961402 t1_jaf2lgj wrote

I was worried it was going to be about the Open Streets program and not a bunch of shitty shacks