Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Rottimer t1_jdz6k3n wrote

Reading the actual description of the workshop, I see nothing wrong with it. If people get offended by the FACT that "white people, their customs, culture, and beliefs operate as the standard by which all others groups are compared" in the United States, then you're just denying reality.

−34

Jimmy_kong253 t1_jdza7jp wrote

Well if you go to another country where another race customs are the standard should people not be offended also? There's plenty of races customs and traditions that are celebrated in America. It's just a group of bitter super left wings that wants everyone to stay in their own lanes in terms of culture, fashion and music well also saying we need to blend and mix together. It's really a head scratcher because in order for the blending everything becomes available for use to everyone

Rottimer t1_je0018j wrote

Or, the people offended don’t like to confront the results of the history of this country on people of color and would prefer to perpetuate it and return us to a state where we’re “less than” by pretending that people of color are “bitter” and racist and have nothing to complain about.

−4

mehkindaok t1_jdzsvw0 wrote

Your self-flagellation whip looks very worn, time to get a new one!

Rottimer t1_je00nai wrote

Self-flagellation? Oh, you think I’m white and that somehow talking about a fact that has existed in this country for centuries is somehow beating up white people? Let me guess, you’re the type of person that would support removing race from teaching the history of slavery and civil rights in the US.

−1

ZA44 t1_jdzkmbk wrote

Instead of using the term white why don’t you use the term dominant culture like you do in every other country? Why not celebrate what things we have in common instead of lecturing us into groups that only solidifies grievances and grudges?

Rottimer t1_je00c4n wrote

Because we’re not in every country. We’re in the United States where the “dominant culture” is white evangelical. If you’re making comparisons across nations that would make sense, but this was speaking to the US specifically.

−1

Dont_mute_me_bro t1_je1ozgj wrote

There are more Roman Catholics in this country than any single Protestant denomination. And some of the "mainstream" Protestant groups are pretty Progressive- with rainbow flags, lesbian pastors, etc. Get real...

Rottimer t1_je1v372 wrote

Are you really going to argue that Catholicism in the US hasn’t had its own issues with regard to mainstream acceptance?

Dont_mute_me_bro t1_je1zz1v wrote

I would in so far as until Biden, we went 60 years in between a Catholic (roughly 25% of the population) was elected. But that's not the issue here. You're saying that the "mainstream culture" is white Evangelical and I'd argue that it isn't; that White Protestants are divided (Episcopalians are disproportionately influential and represented, for example) between mainline and more Evangelical groups. That said, if one were to lump in Catholics (not quite accepted, as you put it) with mainline Protestants, the Evangelical influence is diminished. Throw in Jews and Moslems (3% each -or 6%), some Buddhists and the unaffiliated. and White Evangelicals aren't that much of a force. For instance, New England has a very WASPY and disproportionately influential influence on America. It's definitely not Evangelical. Sorry

ZA44 t1_je063w5 wrote

I am making comparisons across countries. These talks about whiteness have been becoming mainstream in every English speaking country with a white majority. Countries generally speaking that have for the last 50 years been some of the most accepting and progressive nations in history. I think focusing on what binds us is much preferred over what differences we have. It’s much healthier for the country and makes it much easier to reshape the dominant culture to something we can all feel that we are part of.

Rottimer t1_je08ga1 wrote

But the workshop was talking about the U.S.. Not Japan, or South Korea, or Malaysia, or India - all countries that have issues and negative history with minorities to varying degrees. So it makes sense to use the term “White” given what they were addressing.

Further, discussing how what defines “American” culture in this country is often based in white Protestant terms is stating a fact. It’s not an attack on white people. But it’s something to be cognizant of if your goal is actually being accepting and progressive and identifying what binds us.