Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

casanovaelrey t1_jchj9xi wrote

My brother. You have NOT lived in China is you think that's the case. I'm convinced that in certain areas, they've perfected the art of littering. Still a great country though. Mention Japan and Taiwan, you might have an argument though. But it's not just culture, in terms of cleanliness. And that's still a weak excuse, on the part of our government, to not handle business. We lie about how we're the "greatest city in the world" and I was embarrassed to live abroad and see that we aren't even the greatest city amongst the top economic powers. NYC is looked at as TImes Square, Billionaire's Row, and Wall Street and we're supposed to pretend like that success and glamor is everyone's. It's NOT. We can do so much better.

gregbeans t1_jchk08p wrote

I was referring to Tokyo and Seoul, can’t speak for china so I believe you. But I stand by NYC people treating public places like shit, sounds like a lot of Chinese do too.

I also agree that the government is corrupt and incompetent, but what can we do about that?

casanovaelrey t1_jchkyb2 wrote

Yeah Tokyo is a different level of meticulous lol. Seoul is great too. Other places outside of Seoul though can be a little different.

Naw you're not wrong though. We treat the city like shit but it's like the chicken and the egg. Do we treat it like shit because of the government or is the government ineffective because we treat it like shit?

Firstly start demanding accountability. I don't mean a couple of policy wonks on Reddit or the couple of tech millennials who go to the meetings. I mean as a city vote these clowns out then go after the governorship. The amount of naked corruption is staggering.

jonnycash11 t1_jchmrmn wrote

Depends on the neighborhood. It’s clean where I live.

iv2892 t1_jci0tug wrote

That’s what I say , nyc gets a bad rep as a dirty city . But there are many neighborhoods where people would get surprised at how clean it is