Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

NadzInTheCity OP t1_irkflgl wrote

I am SO sorry that happened to you. That must have been so terrifying. I agree about being frustrated - I also feel helpless for the first time in my life.

Shera939 t1_irkirkm wrote

Agree with you so much about feeling helpless too. Born and raised here as well, this is my first personal experience of all this happening. I hate this with every fiber of my being. And not much I can do about it. That ems worker had no chance, he came out of nowhere. I hate this. I feel scared every time I go down into the subway. Amd the street is becoming not much better.

NadzInTheCity OP t1_irkj67i wrote

This!!! The EMS worker story scared the shit out of me because there was absolutely no motive. The thing that freaks me out the most is that a lot of these attacks seem to be random.

brainfreezereally t1_irkw97n wrote

That story really shouldn't scare you -- you are falling prey to a very common bias: it's in the news and heavily covered so you are overestimating the risk. What you should be scared about is being hit by a car (pedestrian deaths are much more common. So common that they aren't covered in the news and so you don't worry about it.) You are much more likely to be hit by a falling branch or falling construction debris and be seriously injured or killed. Don't let the news make you scared. That was a very rare case, but rare stuff does occur -- just rarely.

−1

NadzInTheCity OP t1_irl1shg wrote

First, I am allowed to have my own thoughts and fears regarding my livelihood. While being hit by a car may be more common here than being stabbed, it doesn’t completely eradicate the possibility of being assaulted, nor does it make anyone’s fear of such less legitimate.

Second, I am scared because there have been countless random stabbings, slashings, and assaults in my neighborhood this summer. Just last month, two people were brutally stabbed in front of the deli I go to every day, and two people were slashed in front of the target two blocks away in a highly populated area in broad daylight. The EMS worker story is scary because the woman was simply doing her job and administering aid when a random person decided she needed to die. So even if these incidents are “rare,” they still occur and they should be viewed as frightening to everyone in the city.

Third, I think it is insensitive and obnoxious for you to compare your above listed scenarios when the woman who’s comment thread you responded to openly stated that someone attempted to push her into traffic. Please be more compassionate.

Shera939 t1_irkxdzq wrote

Did you read my post about what has happened to me recently? If you did that’s a pretty obnoxious post.

And even if you didn't its obnoxious. You have no fg idea what ppls experiences are, a lot of us have had actual real shit happen to us as well as are aware that many other people are being targeted, assaulted and menaced. No, it's not just on tv.

brainfreezereally t1_irmofil wrote

Actually, if you look at my post, the nesting will show that I was not replying to you, but rather to a person who was just saying that hearing about the EMS working made them scared.

I would not have said that to you, having lived in The Village in the 1970s/80s when there were many odd/dangerous people there (as well as many criminals who were very dangerous throughout NYC). Being afraid is part of what makes you safer (though not safe) and you seem to be making very good decisions when confronted with those people. Since you responded to my comment, what I wanted to say to you is that when it gets to the point where you are not willing to go out, you may have tipped into depression (not surprising given the last several years) and you may want to seek professional assistance.

Shera939 t1_irn6g6j wrote

“Actually” they had very similar experiences. THey wrote a whole post about it. So how about ppl have reasons to actually be scared, not just shit they see in the news. Btw, If the news played all the shit that actually happens most everyone, especially women bc we are more frequently the targets for this shit, would be terrified. It’s exactly why I don’t read local news. But keep assuming news is why, but stop telling ppl who live these experiences that they’re just falling prey to the news, it’s obnoxious.