Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

drpvn t1_ixrbx7n wrote

NYC spends a lot on police, but I don’t think 10% is the budget is unreasonable, and it’s certainly not “everything.”

Lucid108 t1_ixredgz wrote

Given how many other necessary public services are gutted as cops get near-constant increases to their budget, it seems to me that we are not allocating the resources into preventing crime, so much as creating it via societal negligence and then throwing cops at the problem.

drpvn t1_ixrepa9 wrote

If you want to see near-constant increases, look at the education budget. It is almost 40% of the entire budget.

Lucid108 t1_ixrhltt wrote

Education is among the most consistently underfunded social services. Teachers are certainly not nearly as well-paid/well-compensated as cops and they serve a variety of critically necessary roles.

drpvn t1_ixrhqjw wrote

The education budget is $38 billion this year. It’s not underfunded.

Lucid108 t1_ixriyu2 wrote

It is, however, being gutted.

drpvn t1_ixrj9ob wrote

That’s a small amount in the context of the massive DOE budget.

Grass8989 t1_ixrkjzo wrote

$300 million out of a $38 billion budget isn’t it being “gutted”, especially when enrollment has been pretty significantly declining.

Koboldsftw t1_ixsjeog wrote

What part of the city budget do you think we should use to fund schools instead?

drpvn t1_ixslalb wrote

There’s no magic number but there is no way that ~$35 billion is “underfunding.” People talk about it as if it’s draconian austerity. That’s ridiculous.

Koboldsftw t1_ixsll3e wrote

Do you know how many students there are in New York City? It’s like super easy for $35 billion to be underfunding.

drpvn t1_ixt82cz wrote

Yes, approximately a million if you include charter school students (which you should because charter school costs are included). So that’s approximately $35,000 per student. If that’s under-funding, I’d like to know how much is enough. $100,000 per student?