Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TurbulentArea69 t1_iwrl11j wrote

I recently had a guy not want to let me out of his car because he wanted me to pay him in cash. I legit didn’t have cash on me but he didn’t believe me. I wasn’t locked in the car or anything he was just really pressuring me. It was sad, he seemed desperate.

terryjohnson16 t1_iwrlf27 wrote

I would have called the cops if he locked you in. They dont want card cause its a paper trail.

You could have used the curb app too

TurbulentArea69 t1_iwrlrb5 wrote

I wasn’t locked in and didn’t really feel threatened. It was a “normal” nyc shakedown that we all experience from time to time. I mostly just felt bad for him because he was clearly on hard times.

specialcommenter t1_iwukoj0 wrote

I don’t think he was on hard times. These guys are averaging $300-$400/day. They just like good ‘ol cash. I take yellow a lot and most of them say they make that amount after gas. Some of them say business sucks but I can tell they’re new drivers by the way they drive.

Pennwisedom t1_iwus889 wrote

$300-$400 a day probably in Gross. But how much are they paying for the medallion?

specialcommenter t1_iwuswky wrote

I’m talking about the guys that lease the cabs from the garages. $110/day for the car + another $20ish/day in gas. Most of them say they take home $300-$400 “clean” after all that.

specialcommenter t1_iwuk93f wrote

I give my yellow drivers cash if it’s a short ride. I tell them not to turn on the meter and hand them a $10.