Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Sketcha_2000 t1_ix4g52k wrote

That parent (who does not have children at Murrow) who can’t believe that 11th graders might be reading on a third-grade level…she needs to spend some time in a school because there are plenty who need it.

The Post is pure public education-hating trash. They are attempting to write about scaffolding like anyone claimed it to be a magical cure-all. I implore these “journalists” to try substitute teaching for a week. For students who are way behind in reading level, progress is a slow process. There are many, many students who come into high school reading at primary grade levels or worse. Should we drop War and Peace in front of them and expect miracles? Or try to get them to read at a somewhat proficient level before they graduate so that they can be productive in society? This is what comes from years and years of not teaching basics in phonics and comprehension and teaching to the balanced literacy crap instead.

RaisedByMonsters t1_ix4kw8u wrote

Aaaand these kids just went through like 2 years of learning through a glass box, so yea maybe it’s a good idea to check in on that stuff.

Rtn2NYC t1_ix4ngo5 wrote

Well said- Could not agree more. The detrimental effects of eliminating phonics have been passed upward to elementary, high school and now even college educators to fix but until the root cause is admitted and methodology adjusted these educators are fighting an uphill battle. They deserve support, not criticism.

Sketcha_2000 t1_ix4pmzq wrote

100 percent. I’m fortunate enough to have worked only in schools where admin actually care about what’s best for students and not what’s coming down from above. So I’ve been teaching phonics to kids who need it. I taught middle school for 10 years and you honestly wouldn’t believe the transformation in their reading ability and confidence when you actually teach them what they need to know. Granted I am a sped teacher so I have a little bit of wiggle room in what I’m allowed to teach, as I’m supposed to address IEP goals.

Rtn2NYC t1_ix4sr16 wrote

Oh I totally believe it- I volunteer with a family literacy organization and have kids identify sounds and blend them to read words and they make progress pretty quickly, and the parents too are incredibly grateful as they also struggle with reading (the point of the group) and balanced literacy prevents them from helping at home and progressing together. I’m really grateful for NYC teachers- my daughter’s public school middle school teachers here were so excellent and so thank you and your colleagues. Hopefully this recent attention on the issue will right the ship and result in an improvement in experience for students and teachers.

Sketcha_2000 t1_ix4t3wn wrote

So nice of you to say! So glad people see through the BS put out there by articles like this

Rtn2NYC t1_ix4vtx4 wrote

It makes me mad they take actual issues and politicize them so badly. Makes it harder for nuanced discussion.

Enjoy the weekend and holiday!