Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

IllegibleLedger t1_izjwaoh wrote

“Corporal John A. Seravalli Playground in Manhattan had designated two courts solely for the tennis-lite game, but many adults were so desperate to get their pickleball fix they put up their own nets and courts on kids’ play spaces”

Gross

raysofdavies t1_izl5f9b wrote

Pickleball players have gotten extremely weird and territorial over it. They take over tennis courts and here kids playgrounds then get super mad when people point out that those exist for a purpose that isn’t pickleball and they need to leave. Stupid fad that needs to die out. Just play mini tennis you losers.

ekim7267 t1_izlgkzc wrote

WTF is pickle ball, it sounds made up. I wish I could still live through a game of handball like I played growing up but those days are long gone.

[deleted] t1_izlk05b wrote

[deleted]

DevChatt t1_izlyip9 wrote

For additional lols go to r/10s and search pickleball

sneakpeekbot t1_izlyjqw wrote

ekim7267 t1_izlr8yc wrote

Don't understand why people would get angry over goofy adults having some fun. I guess my opinion on things is if it ain't hurting others than have at it.

−17

blackfire932 t1_izluls3 wrote

Ahhh though if you read the article and others complaints it does seem to be hurting people. Namely people who don’t want to play the game or lose the court that was already allocated for there game.

So in this case anger is appropriate.

lemondsun t1_izm4w8k wrote

I mean the article is literally all about how the adult pickle ballers are using up all of the children’s playground. No one condemning goofy adults

-wnr- t1_izlulll wrote

It sounds to me the upset is due losing their limited play spaces.

UncomfyNoises t1_izltjvi wrote

It’s lazy person tennis.

ekim7267 t1_izlukq7 wrote

I play "lazy persons tennis" and it doesn't involve leaving the house. I play a tennis video game.

WednesdayKnights t1_izn3wlw wrote

My parents decided to move upstate when I was in high school in the early 90s and that’s when I first learned of pickle ball. I thought it was made up by the gym teacher (I was too cool to ask the gym teacher about the game and it was before one could look it up on Google). It’s a little like tennis with paddles and a whiffle ball (there are proper pickles balls and paddles now). It’s actually really fun, and was happy to see that it’s a real game that’s becoming popular because I would love to play it again, but not at the cost of being a dick to children and others in a public park.

Handball was fun too and would attempt to play if everything didn’t hurt as much as it does these days.

The_Razielim t1_iznlui6 wrote

Every park near me now, the handball courts have been turned into bloody pickleball courts...

I still keep a blue handball in my work backpack lol I agree, I miss those days in JHS/HS when that was my afternoons after school

pton12 t1_iznyjgn wrote

Pickle ball is tennis for elderly people. As well as a bunch of younger doofuses who play it like total chumps. Like, just play a real sport, not a retirement home activity.

ctindel t1_izv6t0a wrote

Shit I was in a poker room in Vegas last week and they were showing pickle ball on espn. I guess some famous athletes bought some teams so they’re trying to build it up in a big thing.

Mammoth_Sprinkles705 t1_izm8vvc wrote

Lol, wtf what?

How can they take over a tennis court? It's a public space. I am just as much right to use the court as anyone else.

Oh my God they use a a paddle instead of a racket call Parks department

childpeas t1_iznzrso wrote

it’s a public space with a designated purpose* you don’t have the right to use the court however you please, actually.

beagle_bathouse t1_izktncs wrote

At least play a fun game if you're going to be a little shit about it.