Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

sysyphusishappy t1_izoxqnh wrote

> Answer my question. Do you think a mask that lets through 100% of particles spreads a disease more or less than one that does 90%?

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Is this a joke? What happens with your "compounding effect" after a half hour in a crowded room wearing a mask that lets through 90% of COVID aerosols? What do you think happens to the odds of infecting someone else over that time period? Does it stay at 90% or does or go up?

Is a 90% risk of infecting others "effective"?

> Yes, as people infect each other, that population of sick people compounds over time.

I see. So what, you think masks led to a 10% reduction in infections?

[deleted] t1_izoyl4j wrote

>🤣🤣🤣🤣

>Is this a joke? What happens with your "compounding effect" after a half hour in a crowded room wearing a mask that lets through 90% of COVID aerosols? What do you think happens to the odds of infecting someone else over that time period? Does it stay at 90% or does or go up?

>Is a 90% risk of infecting others "effective"?

So basically you can't answer, lol.

>I see. So what, you think masks led to a 10% reduction in infections?

More than 10%. Don't forget the compounding effect over time. Ah wait, you don't understand any of this further than "this media blocks X% of particles" 😂

sysyphusishappy t1_izozltm wrote

> More than 10%. Don't forget the compounding effect over time. Ah wait, you don't understand any of this further than "this media blocks X% of particles" 😂

This is highly amusing. So the thing you want to happen compounds over time but the thing you don't want to happen doesn't compound over time.

[deleted] t1_izp1p8e wrote

>This is highly amusing. So the thing you want to happen compounds over time but the thing you don't want to happen doesn't compound over time.

The thing I don't want compounds less if you block it. This can't be made any more simple. You're trying to pull some kind of "gotcha" but you're not smart enough to do it.

Either those masks block some particles or they don't. If they block any, that has a compounding effect over time vs if you just let the disease spread unimpeded. The more blocking, the better.

Go take the course. You've already been schooled enough on here.

sysyphusishappy t1_izp2jfo wrote

> The thing I don't want compounds less if you block it. This can't be made any more simple. You're trying to pull some kind of "gotcha" but you're not smart enough to do it.

Huh?! 🤣

It "compounds less" but it still compounds and since we are STARTING at 90% what does it compound to?

I'll ask you for a third time. What happens to your risk of spreading COVID after a half hour in a room wearing a mask that lets through 90% of COVID aerosols? Does it go up, go down, or stay the same at 90% risk?

[deleted] t1_izp3nx8 wrote

>It "compounds less" but it still compounds and since we are STARTING at 90% what does it compound to?

Take out a calculator and multiply 1.9^100. Now do 2^100.

See the difference? That's why you should take epidemiology 101.

sysyphusishappy t1_izp429d wrote

🤣 Why can't you answer my question? We start at 90%. What does it compound to over half an hour?

[deleted] t1_izp4fbs wrote

I've answered your question. You are just refusing to recognize reality at this point. Pandemics are created due to unchecked transmission of a contagious disease.

sysyphusishappy t1_izp9crk wrote

No you didn't. We start at 90% risk of infection. What does it compound to in half an hour?

[deleted] t1_izpa6gq wrote

Yes, I did. Go reread my posts and do the math yourself. Your little contrived example isn't how this works. Pandemics occur over large geographic areas in the span of months and years. Much of the transmission is in passing and not in small rooms where people are sitting together for a long time -- that's what the lockdowns/social distancing target. Duh.

sysyphusishappy t1_izqfbu7 wrote

> Much of the transmission is in passing and not in small rooms where people are sitting together for a long time

Any evidence for this? Also, the idea that letting through 90% of COVID aerosols magically stops the spread despite the laws of physics is pretty amusing.

[deleted] t1_izqiskx wrote

It's amusing that you think letting through 100% has the same effect as letting through 90%. You don't seem that great at physics, tbh.