Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

nycdataviz t1_j5dn43i wrote

Naïve of you to assume that the U.S. attorney’s office dropping the case indicates that there was no case. The U.S. government creates news and resolves news for diplomatic influence all the time, all year. This was a power move to show Beijing they are onto their moves, and a power move to let it go. The U.S. sends powerful diplomatic and military messages to China in everything it does, to keep China in check.

They will observe the Chinese spy known as "Baimadajie Angwang" for the rest of his days. Zero innocence was proven here. That you can't read that between the lines of the NYT article is laughable. Did you miss the 6th grade social studies class on critical thinking?

Ask yourself this: this man was a marine. Do you think the military wants him even mopping floors in a barracks after this? And do you think the Tibetan community (or any other non-Chinese community) would find his presence comfortable in any corner of the city? The man is a known foreign intelligence spy.

Try to think without the aid of the CCP on that question.

skydream416 t1_j5dp6l1 wrote

what's more normal:

1. me reading an article about how they dropped the case, and going "guess he's innocent" or at the minimum "guess they couldn't find enough evidence to make their case stick"

or!

1. whatever nonsense you're spouting

lmao ok here's one for you logicman, have you heard of occam's razor? google it!

nycdataviz t1_j5drsgd wrote

Occam's razor? Cut myself with this one just now:

A foreign national got caught spying on Tibetans on behalf of the Chinese consulate.

Listen, I get it, you're not a CCP shill, you're probably just trying to speak up on behalf of Chinese Americans. China and the United States wage cold war actions against each other every day - you just aren't smart enough to hear about most of it. Get over it, it has nothing to do with race, racism, or AAPI hate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_spy_cases_in_the_United_States_of_America

Angwang is even on the list, with this detail, which was omitted from the NYT article: Angwang's father is a retired member of China's army and a member of the CCP. His mother is also a member of the party and a former government official.

There are literally thousands if not tens of thousands of Chinese spies working on behalf of the CCP in the U.S. The federal government is well aware of it and there are public intelligence briefs on the topic.

You don't need to die on the cross for this one spy, who was literally caught red-handed but didn't have to face jailtime for various diplomatic reasons.

cloudcrafterzNYC t1_j5evc60 wrote

I think they are a CCP shill. This is all so obviously diplomacy at work that I don’t know how you find a different reasoning AND commit to arguing about it on Reddit without it being your job lol