Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

bittoxic00 t1_j6i69dv wrote

Most people would need to have saved a million dollars to buy an annuity that would pay 41k a year. Add in their social security and it’s a decent retirement, no one is entitled to retire in a high col area

−10

jay5627 t1_j6i6rmk wrote

Yet an institution is able to offer lower wages with the guarantee of certain things post retirement and then take it away once the people finished their careers?

mowotlarx OP t1_j6i747t wrote

Exactly. These retirees were promised these benefits. They're on a fixed income. $100-200 extra per month (plus extra healthcare costs they're now on the hook for) can make or break many people.

bittoxic00 t1_j6i7ijl wrote

Social security age of retirement has been raised since I’ve started working, it’ll likely go up again

mowotlarx OP t1_j6i6q2f wrote

So what do you think people who aren't millionaires, the vast majority of people in NYC, are supposed to do after spending their life serving people in the city where they live? Throw themselves off a cliff?

bittoxic00 t1_j6i7y22 wrote

Florida? Do you also think people who get 4 bedroom rent controlled apartments should get to keep them once their kids move out? I’m not for government changing terms but these once generous handouts need to adapt, no millennial will ever see these

−9

mowotlarx OP t1_j6i8ef0 wrote

You must know a lot of cops who flee to Florida. Because it's not normal for middle and lower income New Yorkers to pick up their life and move to fucking Florida because they retire. That's not cheap.

And don't pretend to speak for Millennials. Any Millennial who has thought for more than a few minutes on this subject knows that us fucking over these retirees means we are only fucking over ourselves. Every time we take away retiree benefits for current retirees we're making it less and less likely we will ever be able to retire.

bittoxic00 t1_j6ibtll wrote

I’ll let you in on a secret, we’ll never retire unless ubi is implemented or you save and invest privately.

−5