Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

cC2Panda t1_j5ofai0 wrote

Scam marriages happen but I wouldn't call them common either. Even if you look at unidentified "government success" at Murdoch run outlets they claim at most around 25% which is a lot but I'd guess "government source" includes actual fraudsters like Paxton and Trump.

I'd guess those people are just assuming that all marriages that ends within 2 years of the green card being issued are fraud that's the only way to get numbers that high. It's worth noting that divorces of people with green cards via marriage are on par with regular old marriages up until 5-6 years then they have a significantly lower divorce rate than the general population.

Basically I'd say while sham marriages aren't rare they are what I'd consider uncommon since they tend to outlast non-greencard marriages overall.

wellthatkindofsucks t1_j5onupl wrote

Also it can take years for a person to be processed and accepted, and if you get divorced during that time you would have to start all over. Easier to just stay legally married until the process is completed, then separate.

ike1 t1_j5p8x2b wrote

Apparently it's more common in the Brazilian community.

bernardobrito t1_j5soorr wrote

> more common in the Brazilian community.

I know a dude who married a chick from Help.

Moved her to America. She popped out a kid, got her papers...and she was gone!

The_CerealDefense t1_j5psekg wrote

It’s big in the Brazilian community. This type of stuff would be fully expected. Both his marriage and trying to recruit others.

cC2Panda t1_j5pt3oz wrote

Since there is a hard cap per country for work based stuff I imagine it's worst for developing countries with the largest populations like Brazil, India, and China.

The_CerealDefense t1_j5ptv9e wrote

I don’t know if that’s the case, just that it’s a pretty prominent thing in the Brazilian community. It’s not NYC related though, NYC doesn’t have an over abundance of Brazilians here (documented or not)

Vegetable-Double t1_j5p1hm9 wrote

I know a couple people who had sham marriages, but the demographic that usually does them are rich enough to pay someone tens of thousands of dollars to go through with it. The ones I know are rich expats from other countries whose families are loaded.