Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

whyyoutookmyname OP t1_j5ap1u3 wrote

Description of the photo:

March 1943. "New York, N.Y. Times Square on a rainy day." Now playing: Disney's "Saludos Amigos." Afterward we can grab a bite at the Automat. Medium format negative by John Vachon, Office of War Information.

Source Photo (in B&W) retrived from Shorpy.com

IndyMLVC t1_j5avpx6 wrote

Do we know what street we are looking at?

Silo-Joe t1_j5bb8j8 wrote

Nice photo of the Horn & Hardart Automat.

lamb_pudding t1_j5bw5bu wrote

I thought this was a screenshot of a Fallout game.

SendTacosPlease t1_j5c3o9u wrote

This is a rough approximation of where it would have been taken from via google street view, August 2022: See here . As noted, the Disney store is directly behind the photographer. If you look, you'll notice the awning of the current Lunt-Fontanne Theater on the left hand-side to try and match it appropriately!

dekalbavenue t1_j5cii1e wrote

I was curious about the names of the stars on that billboard on the right. The only full name I see is Ina Ray Hutton and she was definitely not a nobody according to what I could find of her.

grambell789 t1_j5cv2gw wrote

here it is now: https://goo.gl/maps/7o6FTzpzC2F3mB4w7

you can see the little round window on the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre down 46th st.

the building on the corner is gone but according to wikimapia the Automat is still there just buried under advertisements.

PorchHonky t1_j5cysns wrote

Wow. Times Square was recruiting wack people even way back then!

LittleKitty235 t1_j5d789v wrote

How can you tell? By looking at the pixels? 🥴

Medium format like 120 could have shown more detail, but any number of factors in the steps from through development to digitiation could have degraded it. Seems reasonable to me to be medium format.