Submitted by TheBigFish2004 t3_11c3lmm in personalfinance

I use TD for my brokerage

Looking to start building up an SP500 investment using an ETF as that seems like my best option Will hold long term, not looking to sell anytime soon, and will dollar cost average over the years

Vanguard, Fidelity, and others all seem reputable Which has the lowest fee? I think fidelity has a zero fee one? Are there any other Pro/Cons to any specific ETF or reason to buy one vs the other?

Will start with a few thousand and then try to add to it each month Thoughts? Thanks!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Cruian t1_ja1qwac wrote

>as that seems like my best option Will hold long term

Personally, I consider S&P 500 obsolete (in any account where you're not limited to a short list to pick from): why ignore the US extended market and ex-US markets?

Doing S&P 500 only means you take on an uncompensated risk (single country) and ignore a compensated risk (smaller caps). For long term (or even mid-term), I see no reason to do either of those.

>Which has the lowest fee?

Fidelity's FXAIX is the lowest I know at 0.015%. Though I'd consider FSKAX better for the US market: it covers smaller caps as well and is the same cost at 0.015% (then just add FTIHX or similar for ex-US).

>I think fidelity has a zero fee one?

No. Fidelity's Zero funds follow Fidelity designed indexes, so FNILX is 500 large caps and is probably more rules based than S&P 500 is (see the difference in how each handled Tesla in 2020).

Also FXAIX and FNILX (and FSKAX) are index mutual funds, not ETFs.

Edit: Typo

Super_Mario_Luigi t1_ja32s4z wrote

Obsolete? It has traditionally delivered a 10%+ return per year for decades.

Cruian t1_ja3fuxd wrote

But why use that when for the same costs you can use US total market? Better diversification and gives coverage of a compensated risk factor.

Super_Mario_Luigi t1_ja3wjur wrote

The S&P 500 has returned 11.88% since 1957. I think the intent of diversification has stayed the course. 66 years of great returns isn't some fluke.

The biggest risk I'd say, is when you plan to retire. As it is volatile, it takes big swings. Many funds down significant amounts right now would be rough if you are looking to retire. However, historically, it returns.

Cruian t1_ja3x9h6 wrote

I'm not saying avoid S&P 500. I'm saying to not use S&P 500 only funds, but to use broader funds that cover S&P 500 and more.

S&P 500 works, but for the same exact cost and difficulty, there are better options (US total market). And for only a slightly higher cost (and maybe 1 additional fund), even better than that (going global).

>However, historically, it returns

Like I said, it has worked so far, but it both:

• Ignores the compensated small cap risk factor

• Takes on the uncompensated single country risk factor

I don't see any reason to do either of these.

nkyguy1988 t1_ja1fuwb wrote

If they all track the same index, they should all be virtually the same. High liquidity/volume and low expenses are best.

listerine411 t1_ja3cx4i wrote

It's splitting hairs, and the S&P500 has just become a "catch all" term for things like total market.

Fidelity's FZROX has a zero expense ratio. I would only own it though in a retirement account.

TheBigFish2004 OP t1_ja4nnnx wrote

What’s the “downside” or con of owning this, or something similar, in a taxable account?

listerine411 t1_ja57jql wrote

ETFs are better than mutual funds in a taxable account. It gets complicated for why, but its just slightly more tax efficient. Mostly splitting hairs.

Also, FZROX can only be owned through Fidelity, so if you ever wanted to leave Fidelity, you'd have to sell your FZROX and incur a large tax penalty. With a retirement account, this isn't an issue.

ETFs though are portable and can go to any brokerage.

TwstdSista t1_ja2cuw6 wrote

If this is in an IRA, then the Zero funds are great options (I invest in them myself). If this is a taxable account, then you'll want a tax efficient and low cost ETF that is not "substantially identical" to what you hold in IRAs so as to avoid wash sales. Good options are: VTI/VOO, ITOT/IVV and SCHB/SCHX are all good options.

TheBigFish2004 OP t1_ja32dvz wrote

Good points…. This is going to start as a taxable account so o will start with ETFs…. I do also want to look into a fund for my IRA too which I have through Vanguard so I assume I would just use Vanguards index or mutual fund.