Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

oledawgnew t1_jab6dh1 wrote

100% VTSAX for life can be an adequate choice. If that gets to risky you can reduce its allocation by adding a total bond market index fund as you get closer to retirement. Recommend reading JL Collins’ very popular book “A Simple Path To Wealth.”

slapstick15 t1_jad5qfd wrote

I’ve read that book and it only has 1 message: invest in VTSAX and avoid doing anything fancy with your money.

oledawgnew t1_jadcutm wrote

In relation to investing, it's the "fancy" stuff that causes people to underperform with their portfolio. Fortunately Mr. John "Jack" Bogle, the man credited with inventing index investing, realized that and happily shared it with the world.

2wheeloffroad t1_jads6fh wrote

LOL. The key word in the book is simple, because the entire book could be re-written to what you said. I thought he recommended 2 funds though.

TheSecretAgenda t1_jae3l3k wrote

If OP does VTSAX for thirty years he should have enough dividends even in a down market that he will have no financial problems at all.

Win-With-Money t1_jadqkrr wrote

Arguably the best book on beginner retirement investing. Anyone at any level can read this and understand it.

kepachodude t1_jaehx2m wrote

Loved that book, the first financial literacy book I read. Than I read John Bogle book “The little book of common investing” and then my mind exploded even further.