Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Early_University_907 t1_jeaflrc wrote

This. Plus, if OP is young and this will help toward long-term career earning potential it’s even more the right move.

mrdannyg21 t1_jed90nt wrote

That was my first thought too - giving up that much freedom and the extra costs may or may not be worth it for the income increase, but every salary raise sets the expectation for future salary raises. If OP has more than 5-10 working years left (which seems likely, since they’re living with their parents), this $18k/year raise will likely translate to hundreds of thousands in higher lifetime earnings.

forgerator t1_jecx9sc wrote

This. Yes the sacrifice is there in terms of work life balance but with the bump in salary, future growth prospects and salary bumps will take into account this new salary as the baseline.

[deleted] t1_jebdomk wrote

[deleted]

−3

tallham t1_jebsy8u wrote

I believe Early_Uni isn't saying the pay is good for career, they're saying if the job change is a good progression in OPs chosen career that adds non-monetary worth to the change as well.

Edit to make it clear this is my interpretation/opinion on his comment, not an absolute

travbart t1_jebutxz wrote

I think both things can be true. If you apply for a job where the application requires salary history, having a higher past salary can show a potential employer that you had $X worth of responsibilities at your last job. Not saying it' a great metric but it's there.

tallham t1_jec2y5e wrote

TIL that is something a potential employer may actually ask for, it's not something I've ever had requested during a job application or interview.

MTG_Stuffies t1_jeczcrm wrote

It's more that companies ask what your current salary is, and like to base their offer on that, and that information is becoming more and more readily available to employers, so lying works less.

​

Shit practice, and sad reality.