Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Mashtatoes t1_jeadofd wrote

It’s an extra 6 hours of your time for those four days of commute. (Might be a little more in total if your current commute on that 5th day is shorter). Assuming a 40 hour workweek, that’s a 15% increase in hours for a 42% pay increase (minus whatever you pay in gas). That seems worth it to me if you can put up with the drive.

Early_University_907 t1_jeaflrc wrote

This. Plus, if OP is young and this will help toward long-term career earning potential it’s even more the right move.

mrdannyg21 t1_jed90nt wrote

That was my first thought too - giving up that much freedom and the extra costs may or may not be worth it for the income increase, but every salary raise sets the expectation for future salary raises. If OP has more than 5-10 working years left (which seems likely, since they’re living with their parents), this $18k/year raise will likely translate to hundreds of thousands in higher lifetime earnings.

forgerator t1_jecx9sc wrote

This. Yes the sacrifice is there in terms of work life balance but with the bump in salary, future growth prospects and salary bumps will take into account this new salary as the baseline.

[deleted] t1_jebdomk wrote

[deleted]

−3

tallham t1_jebsy8u wrote

I believe Early_Uni isn't saying the pay is good for career, they're saying if the job change is a good progression in OPs chosen career that adds non-monetary worth to the change as well.

Edit to make it clear this is my interpretation/opinion on his comment, not an absolute

travbart t1_jebutxz wrote

I think both things can be true. If you apply for a job where the application requires salary history, having a higher past salary can show a potential employer that you had $X worth of responsibilities at your last job. Not saying it' a great metric but it's there.

tallham t1_jec2y5e wrote

TIL that is something a potential employer may actually ask for, it's not something I've ever had requested during a job application or interview.

MTG_Stuffies t1_jeczcrm wrote

It's more that companies ask what your current salary is, and like to base their offer on that, and that information is becoming more and more readily available to employers, so lying works less.

​

Shit practice, and sad reality.

hawkiron t1_jebmjk6 wrote

Not just gas, wear and tear. 11.5k miles per year assuming 250 working days (250x43).

EDIT: By the IRS mileage rebate standards which include gasoline and damage, it would be $7532 (65.5c/mile). This is based on "an annual study of the fixed and variable costs of operating an automobile." Of course, every situation is unique.

jburcher11 t1_jeby7fa wrote

I came here for this was simply going to state that the government has it pretty nailed down what a mile is worth. Good ole travel and per diem rates, ah, I miss those days.

But yeah, just use those rates to see if its worth it. YMMV

Triscuitmeniscus t1_jecrjf9 wrote

I don’t think the Fed mileage reimbursement rates are directly applicable like that. Whenever I’ve done the math on my used Mazda3 I end up with something like less than half the Fed rate. Maybe if I was buying a new $50k car every 5 years and getting $10k for a trade in it would work out that way, but I’ve always felt the reimbursement rates were set that way as a gift to employees who get mileage reimbursed or use it as a deduction. I’m saying that as someone who is regularly reimbursed for using my vehicle.

munchies777 t1_jed7tap wrote

Yeah, it’s definitely way high if you have a cheaper used car. By those mileage rates, even after gas and maintenance I would have depreciated my used car 4 times over by now.

hawkiron t1_jeerl4g wrote

Certainly it's based on worst case scenarios. Though even if you cut in half it's still a chunk of change worth considering. Keep in mind 11.5k miles at the median gas price ($3.50/g) by itself is ~$1350 with a car doing 30MPG. 11.5k miles is also a couple of oil changes, potential increase in insurance costs, and you're going to see a lot of general failures of parts after a few years.

Euphoric-Blue-59 t1_jedzuuh wrote

you are not including gas, maintenance, tires, CAR, insurance, food cuz youll eat out more often.. ... $$$ that eats into that.

Manders4444 t1_jec3l05 wrote

Don't forget the mental anguish. It'll be fine at first, then miserable to an unbelievable degree. Maybe moving closer to new job could be in your future?

−2

Endaar_F t1_jec5f5w wrote

From a 45 minute commute...!?!

Manders4444 t1_jec5wip wrote

45 Min each direction, eventually that starts to cut into your life. I had done it for years. Wait until adverse weather or traffic problems make that drive an hour and a half. It gets frustrating after a while.

Endaar_F t1_jec6wa9 wrote

I did a 75 minute drive for a few years. Mornings didn't bother me but the evening was tough. I wouldn't call it mental anguish though.

I've done a 35-45 minute drive for the past 20 years. Maybe it bothers me once a month, probably less. Most of the time it's perfect.

I like driving. I have a nice car. I blast music. It's almost cathartic.

45 minutes is probably the cutoff for a lot of people as to what is and isn't reasonable. But it is certainly not enough to pass on a significant raise at a young age.

ShopEmpress t1_jecai1b wrote

Mines 75 right now and I just listen to audiobooks to pass the time. Its great!

Seattle0718 t1_jedllhl wrote

You commute 12 hours a week? That’s genuinely crazy

ShopEmpress t1_jee91xc wrote

I do. It's not ideal and I'm looking for a place closer to work but this is how the dice fell and I'm making it work.

Boshly t1_jecgsv1 wrote

The other issue is that a lot of people think a long commute has to involve heavy traffic and stop and go.

I love listening to music and books and find I’m much more relaxed when I get home.

When I have a bad day when I work from home and walk from my home office to my living room later there is no buffer. Those issue fade after a commute to decompress.

DinkleButtstein23 t1_jed207o wrote

Not possible in an hour plus of stop and go traffic. It requires constant focus and attention.

Boshly t1_jeekupu wrote

Did you read my first paragraph 😜

Not all commutes involve stop and go.

WelcomeToOzz t1_jec96fd wrote

Yeah, I did a 90 min each way for 4 years and it wasn’t that bad. My office is 45 min away now but I rarely go.

adamstempaccount t1_jedzjku wrote

What kind of car? I’m always curious what my fellow long-haul drivers find themselves behind the wheel of.

AnEpicTaleOfNope t1_jedyqzx wrote

My commute is 1hr 15 mins and I've done it for many many years, every now and then traffic gets bad and it's 2 hours, but i don't mind. I like commuting, and i love my job and being in an office. Everyone is different and I guess OP has to work out what they are happy with.

Fkn1v1mem8 t1_jecflhy wrote

I’ve been driving 2 hours each way for 8 years. It sucks kinda sometimes but it’s not that bad

−1

podcartfan t1_jecks50 wrote

There is no universe where 4 hours of commuting a day is “not that bad”. Hope it pays well.

Faringray t1_jecgm9f wrote

Wasn't there a thread recently where people talked about having commutes like this and thought the same, until COVID suddenly made them not have it. And they realized there life could have had hours more in each day and they missed it.

It's not just 2 hours more for a 24 hr period, its 2 hours more of awake time. So like 2/16.

maybe im thinking of wsj article.

Fkn1v1mem8 t1_jeckqhp wrote

That’s definitely probably true. But I will never make the kind of money I’m making with my current career anywhere else. I am the sole provider for my family so it is worth it to me. I use the time to listen to audiobooks or podcasts or be introspective

DinkleButtstein23 t1_jed50ob wrote

Yet the money isn't good enough to move closer to the job?

Fkn1v1mem8 t1_jedvtp1 wrote

It’s in the construction industry so the “job” is always moving. I can’t move closer to the job

According_Surround_7 t1_jedd3go wrote

Maybe they like where they live and their family is happy there. Not everything is about money.

Elegant-Row-2396 t1_jee5e12 wrote

You literally have another 50 percent of work on your day that’s costing you money, how is it “not that bad” that’s genuinely mental

Fkn1v1mem8 t1_jeehliv wrote

Because I’m a high school dropout making 150-180k per year

Elegant-Row-2396 t1_jeeiacb wrote

Congrats, doesn’t make it any less insane though.

Fkn1v1mem8 t1_jeeiln1 wrote

Definitely not for everyone

Elegant-Row-2396 t1_jeej6cr wrote

Did a hour and a half commute for a year it’s definitely not for me at any wage, fair play for doing it though.

tartymae t1_jecd38l wrote

45 minutes is a short commute many places on the west coast.

Fragrant-Hamster-325 t1_jecomgk wrote

Such anguish. /s I do it everyday and it does suck but audiobooks and podcasts become your crutch. I learn a lot while driving so it’s not terrible.

OrneryTortoise t1_jeeffoh wrote

I don't know why you're being downvoted. Forty-give minutes is nothing to sneeze at. I used to do that. It sucks. Now I work from home, and even the 25-minute drive to my current employer's location makes me wonder how I ever did that every day. Commuting doesn't just cost time and money.

Nameless408 t1_jeaew2h wrote

It depends on how you are with driving. My wife hated her 20 minute commute, I was fine with my 45 minute commute. But for a 45% increase in pay, it's absolutely the right choice IMO

If_you_just_lookatit t1_jebjiv4 wrote

I enjoy being 40-50 minutes out, but I am also flexible on my office time. 8-4, 9-5, 10-6,. So I stagger my time around rush hour and it's a nice morning audiobook with thinking time.

akareeno t1_jecpwsa wrote

Sorry if it’s off topic but how do you calculate the percentage increase?

amsterdammit t1_jecrr3b wrote

New pay minus old pay, then divide that by the old pay. That will tell you how much higher %-wise the new pay is

Nameless408 t1_jecs6fa wrote

I wasn't trying to be precise, but to find the proper percentage, you could just divide the new salary by the old salary and then subtract 1.

60 ÷ 42 = 1.428

1.428 - 1 = .428, which is 42.8% just under my rough estimate of 45% hope that helps!

buildyourown t1_jeahb7k wrote

Let me add this. I think wfh jobs aren't a great idea early in your career. Your entire career trajectory is based on relationships. Those relationships are hard to build remote. Take the job. Suck up the commute. I also advocate for moving out. Get roommates. Again, relationships.

bakerzdosen t1_jealja4 wrote

As someone who recently started a higher paying job with a better company and with better co-workers entirely because of relationships I’d built over the past ≈15 years, I second this advice.

Dandan0005 t1_jed4bgb wrote

Same.

I love wfh, and I’m a big proponent, but without the connections I made in office early in my career, I would not have the job I have now.

With that said, 45 minute commute each way can be brutal. I’d be on the lookout for something higher paying closer to home, or look to move closer.

DJ_DD t1_jeaq6gh wrote

Think this entirely depends on the profession. I do web development - when I was in the office all my working relationships were through digital messages/online meetings to team members across the country. It’s the exact same now that I permanently work from home.

But to piggy back on what you’re saying - things like tone of voice matter way more when the work is entirely digital. No one can see me, so how I sound is the major influence for how they’ll perceive me.

enjoytheshow t1_jeaup0y wrote

Yeah it really depends on the org and position. My best network was made remotely with a big tech company. I met most of them in person 1-2 times in 2 years. My small company I worked for in person, all of those people in that network… still work for the small company.

Actually-Yo-Momma t1_jebsanm wrote

I would be so poor and lazy if my first real job out of college was 100% remote

CCJonesy t1_jebpfuq wrote

This is ridiculous. I work with an international team and we are very tight-knit. You just have to put yourself out there and not be anti-social just because you’re on a computer. I’ve used references from coworkers on the other side of the world and expanded my network more than any pointless water cooler conversation ever could. Remote work makes employees enjoy more free time at home too, so it doesn’t feel like as much of a hassle when coworkers in town want to meet for lunch or dinner.

NorwegianPearl t1_jee68f4 wrote

I mean y’all can both be right in the correct context. Not every job or culture functions that well remotely. In my old job I was able to work remote, but I just got a raise and promotion this past year more or less because I ‘am around’. Obviously there’s a little more to it, but I was building relationships at the plant, helping out troubleshooting with things outside of my scope, and just giving the plant a feeling that engineering cares about what’s going on. That would not have happened if I stayed remote.

DD_equals_doodoo t1_jee7fej wrote

I think the issue is that fresh grads (people in their first jobs) generally don't understand professional norms and that is a function of lack of experience (not their fault). Having fewer examples around that help establish professionalism can cause issues. While many people can manage remote work just fine, many people cannot. Companies are calling employees back into offices for this reason (and others) - it isn't because of the reddit excuse of "real estate."

Andrew5329 t1_jecz7py wrote

> Get roommates. Again, relationships.

I'm with you so far as the physical presence, having done both and now gone back to hybrid (few hours remote, then on-site for about half the day) the rapport I have with my colleagues is almost entirely based around in-person interaction. I don't think anyone calls or IMs people to chitchat the way you do when you bump into someone in-person. That matters.

That said, living with a roommate is probably going to be irrelevant to OP's career. Unless you're rooming with strangers, which is ten flavors of gross.

mrdannyg21 t1_jed9f4a wrote

Really well said. I love love love remote working but everything you said is on point. Forming important relationships early in your career is much harder (not impossible) working remotely. Your 20s can be a very important time to explore jobs, people, places, living situations and learn about yourself - everyone is different but most of us can’t get a detailed understand of who we are and what we want out of life by staying too comfortable at home or remote working.

[deleted] t1_jeb9j5f wrote

[deleted]

−6

TrafficScales t1_jebk1px wrote

As a software engineer I’d like to caution against this perspective a little bit… it’s certainly possible now to build a career and network through fully-remote positions (especially if the entire company is fully-remote), but for mixed/optional WFH positions I have seen extreme and obvious career benefits for people who are friendly/social/helpful in the office.

It’s not so much that remote employees are at a disadvantage in software positions, but more that in-person employees have the opportunity to capitalize on being in-person, which can go a long way.

buildyourown t1_jebjjpm wrote

It's antiquated boomer middle management talk to say nobody can work from home because you don't think they will work. That's not what I'm saying at all. Relationships exist in every job in every industry. When people blame nepotism, what they really hate is that somebody got an opportunity they didn't. When I need to hire someone, I ask around. "Do you know anyone who would fit this role". Etc. Maybe it's someone you play golf with. Maybe it's an old coworker. You don't make those connections at a wfh job.

HelloS0n t1_jeaqu7z wrote

If you’re young, assuming you are since you’re at home and your parents don’t want you to move out, 60k is going to do a whole lot more for your career and salary trajectory than work/life balance.

rufous-nightjar t1_jeb7xcd wrote

Also if you are early in your career, you will seriously benefit from the in-person development of your skills and relationships.

GeorgeRetire t1_jeap8qo wrote

>Honestly I just like the idea of having a higher salary. But my work life balance and car is going to take a hit.

Is "work life balance" worth $18k each year to you?

​

>My parents don't want me to move out.

Does the $60k salary allow you to move out? Do you want to move out?

Seems like you are young. Seems like a 42% increase would be worthwhile, particularly if it helps further your career. But it's an individual decision.

Bgrngod t1_jeck7hy wrote

>My parents don't want me to move out.

Probably worth getting into this conversation a bit more. Finding a place around the halfway point would probably be just fine?

slushee_slinger t1_jeah18f wrote

I recently reduced my commute from 40 min each way to 10 min each way. It’s better, but occasionally I miss the commute. On rough days I find myself coming home “hot” if you will. The commute was a nice time to wind down, zone out, and listen to some good music or podcasts.

I would say the commute is worth it for that pay increase.

WingZombie t1_jeaocgy wrote

I agree. For years I had an hour commute and then I switched to a 10 minute commute. There are still times when I miss the alone time in the car. I think a 25-30 min commute is the sweet spot.

These days I make my 10 minute drive and then the moment I walk in the door I leash up the dog and go for a 30 min walk.

churningtildeath t1_jeb5gd1 wrote

Not for everyone, but I ride my bike now it takes 20 mins longer sure but definitely makes me feel better at the end of the day. Where I live I can ride off of the road mostly so it works out.

EcoAffinity t1_jeaoh1c wrote

A few things here, but ultimately I would take the 60k offer:

1. You're young and live at home? Have you lived away from your parents before? I think it would be socially beneficial to commute to an office and have socialization with other adults that are not childhood friends or family.

2. I lived at home for a time after graduating, and had a 30-45 minute commute home through the city. It was a nice buffer between work and home where I could decompress, blast some music or play podcasts, and just be by myself. I would also be more likely to go out or do some after work errands because I was already out and about.

3. An 18k increase in pay is pretty substantial at that level of income.

4. I feel WFH is always first on the chopping block for layoffs. It's much easier to avoid personal investment between employees and upper management when there's a screen between you guys under every interaction. I don't work in a volatile field like tech or something though. I never once worried for my job during COVID, but the nature of our work is best achieved with office time and requires travel with others at times.

5. You mentioned your parents don't want you moving out. I would urge you to look into the why of this. It's totally fine to live with your parents, but if they're holding you back from making progress in your career either for financial or protective parent reasons, it's time to reassess. You should put your career goals ahead of their wants.

Take the 60k job, go through with the commute, and if you hate it after a while, start looking for a new job. But getting the better salary, presumably better job title, and the different work experience will help you get better jobs later, ones that can offer a WFH and better salary.

inventionnerd t1_jebfegk wrote

No offense but 42k is fuck all money. This is absolutely worth it and your time honestly isn't worth that extra 18k and what it'll open up for you in the future. If it was an 80k job to a 100k job, then yea, the money might not be worth it. But 42k to 60k? 100% worth it.

Individual_Baby_2418 t1_jeau038 wrote

Think of this as a short term change. You do this job a year and apply for something paying 75k next year that’s remote or hybrid. 2 years max at this job.

yamaha2000us t1_jebfz5d wrote

You increased your salary by 50% for an additional 10 hours a week commute.

Financially it makes sense. As long as expenses are under 15K.

Gigglefluff7 t1_jebsguf wrote

Take it.

It could open up other opportunities. Social. Career. Financial Etc.

Why don't they want you to move out?

You know eventually you will have to live on your own right. So would 42 or 60 per year make living on your own harder or easier.

thealimo110 t1_jecd1e8 wrote

A lot of people advocate for moving out whenever possible, but it doesn't make sense for a lot of people.

The question should really be flipped; instead of asking people why they don't want to move out, I think the following question should be asked of people whl do want to move out if they don't need to, "Why do you want to move out and waste money on rent, extra living expenses, etc instead of saving money for a down payment, etc?"

For people who have good relationships with their family, there's no value to moving out, especially if they haven't saved up a down payment.

blueboot09 t1_jechzwq wrote

>"Why do you want to move out and waste money on rent, extra living expenses, etc instead of saving money for a down payment, etc?"

On a house I assume? Someone who is young and has flexibility can make moves and continue to increase pay and job position. Buying a house isn't the end all at this point, considering she's coming straight out of her parent's home. It has nothing to do with good relations w/parents. Socializing, networking, and being independent has value, especially at the beginning of a career. Get a small apt. or rent a room with another professional. Paying for a roof over your head and expenses isn't a waste of money. It's the next phase of life.

thealimo110 t1_jecu66d wrote

I think you're missing the point. They can buy a small condo instead of rent a small apartment. When it no longer suits them, rent it and move to the next property. What you're advocating is an unnecessary spending of tens of thousands of dollars per year, essentially for no value other than independence.

If OP works (whether remotely or not), they can socialize and network just as easily from an apartment or their parent's home.

As mentioned earlier, the only loss is the supposed value of independence. Your life experiences have led you to formulate your opinion on the value of that. My experience and what I've seen from higher net worth people around me is that people with assets tend not to go this route, and think that the value of this independence is overvalued.

Again, I'm not saying to stay home forever, or to live at home at the expense of moving out of the area for better career prospects. I'm saying that if a person can live for free at home without much sacrifice, it makes sense to me until they can live in an asset and not a liability.

4runner01 t1_jeagqbv wrote

To really answer the $$$ question the OP would need to determine the vehicle costs of the commute.

23 miles X 2 ways X number of days per week X 50 weeks. Then divide the total “work” miles by the mpg that the car gets.

Then add in a few extra oil changes and then about 33% of the cost of a new set of tires per year.

Then you’ll REALLY know if that commute actually makes financial sense.

Lastly, you’d need to factor in the additional 1-1/2 per day you’d be driving.

DD_equals_doodoo t1_jee83lm wrote

Part of this is incalculable. For example, the $60K job likely comes with higher potential earnings later on. It is generally much easier to move to $80K from $60K than it is from $42K and so on. Spending extra year(s) at a $42K job could come with significant opportunity costs down the road. Then you start thinking about time value of money, etc and those become magnified quite a bit.

mutantfrog25 t1_jeaxu23 wrote

Think of it this way. You want to be making 80k in a few years. 60K puts you closer to your target when you’re talking to future companies. Also worth leveraging this offer with your current company to see if they will match/get closer

simply_ira t1_jeamhsa wrote

I hate long commutes, so to me the pay increase and commute cancel eachother out. What other factors are there? Is this a good move for your career progression? That would be reason enough to take it imo. 45 min isn’t far enough to move out of your parents house, otherwise you spend the difference on rent. However, even then - what other factors? Are you excited for the new role?

Ready_2_Plow t1_jeb1txo wrote

If you’re young go with the higher paying job. Building a salary early in your career will be beneficial in the future

Creepy-Floor-1745 t1_jeb34a6 wrote

For me, it would be worth it. You’ll have the ability to answer $60,000 in your next interview when they ask about your previous salary. Your income is low enough that getting $10 or $20 thousand more a year will be significant even if it takes a little longer and more effort to earn it.

YMMV

Gofastrun t1_jeb8z6x wrote

I would take the job assuming advances your career.

Your future comp is loosely based on your current comp. Raises are generally based on a percentage of pay. Higher paying roles usually have more responsibilities, and more responsibilities lead to promotions, until you completely top out for your ability.

So let’s say you get an average raise of 4% per year.

After 10 years

• Job A ($42k) you will be making $56k and have cumulative wages of about $500k
  • Job B ($60k) you will be making $80k and have cumulative wages of $700k

In real life it will probably be more exaggerated because if you take Job B and you’re good at it, you’ll be promoted faster than if you stay with Job A due to the responsibility snowball.

HOWEVER if both of these are just random jobs, not careers, then this doesn’t apply. Careers snowball, odd jobs don’t.

PanicV2 t1_jec5ckp wrote

You're young. That's a substantial raise, and more importantly, it shows that you are on an upward trajectory.

Then, do it again in another year or two. (I'm assuming you are in some sort of tech as you are WFH). Early in your career, your salary can skyrocket in the first 5-7 years.

Maybe it impacts your work-life balance, but, maybe meeting people will improve your personal life! My coworkers from my second job out of school are still some of my closest friends, 20 years later.

When in doubt, take the money. ;)

Otherwise-Degree-368 t1_jecu2wv wrote

60k-42k = 18k 5days/week x 50weeks/year = 250 days of work 250 days x 1.5 hours driving = 375 hours driving / year 18k / 375 hours = 48 bucks an hour... To sit in a car and press a pedal.

Is it worth it? Only you can answer that.

billionaire23 t1_jeddzqs wrote

I don’t like it personally. What industry? If you work from home now find another work from home gig.

kynthrus t1_jead9r8 wrote

45 minutes isn't so bad imho. It depends on the person though. I like to have that time to think and adjust my mental state into or out of work mode.

Pimp_Daddy_Patty t1_jeaixz3 wrote

Buddy of mine does wfh, and as soon as he's done work, he jumps in his car to gtfo of the house for an hour to reset mentally.

innkeeper_77 t1_jeafj4r wrote

Living with your parents- I’d totally do it and stay at home for a while. It’s a terrible commute but I assume you are young and that this will be a good step up in your career, probably helping you long term.

That commute is too far to do forever in my opinion, but at this point I think it likely makes sense given the limited info.

MrPlushT t1_jeaia3m wrote

Financially worth it, commute isn’t insane if you don’t mind driving.

iamaweirdguy t1_jeatm20 wrote

The gas and wear and tear on the vehicle can add up as well. Depending on gas mileage of the vehicle you can be looking at 2k a year in gas and quite a bit of wear and tear, changing tires earlier, more maintenance, addition depreciation because of extra mileage (2k+ miles)

I’d factor in somewhere in the 3-4k range for vehicles expenses based on all that, which brings your take home pay down.

Also, factor in whether you want to actually work in person or prefer WFM. This can make a big difference in your personal happiness.

Lastly, look at the future potential of both opportunities. Is there more room to move up at your current job? Have you tried asking for a raise? Maybe let them know you got an offer for 60k and are considering it, but that you prefer to stay if they can make a better offer (this depends on your relationship with them). You’d be surprised what a company would do to keep you, given that you provide them value.

KaiserTNT t1_jeatwor wrote

That's a 40%+ increase in pay. Hell yes you should take it. Just don't drive something stupid ‐ keep your car economical to minimize gas and depreciation costs.

Yearly raises and promotions tend to be % based, so jumping up that much in salary will deliver additional gains over time. Move somewhere closer later if you need to.

HamBoy2 t1_jeavg4z wrote

It depends on what you value in life and what you want. How much is time worth to you?

Rpolo247 t1_jeb1ivo wrote

Try to work a hybrid arrangement if possible I would personally take the the pay increase,but that will get old quick. If it’s anything like central Florida that commute would drive you insane. If you’re flowing for 45 mins that’s cake nice podcast or audio book.

BonyUnicorn t1_jeb2s7f wrote

Driving is expensive. You can probably cut that additional 18k in half in terms of actual costs and worthiness.

tyroswork t1_jeb5qfa wrote

It depends what you value. I wouldn't get a job with 45minute commute ever. Maybe if I got 100% pay increase (double salary).

Fire_Mission t1_jebpll2 wrote

I was lucky enough to make the jump to wfh about a year before Covid hit. If I can possibly help it, I'm never going back to in-person again. YMMV.

Annual_Fishing_9883 t1_jebquv2 wrote

18k a year for 45 min drive? I would say absolutely. My wife and I both drove a hour one way each day for our jobs. My wife just recently took a closer job that is 40mins instead of a hour and 10mins. A 1 dollar a hour pay cut. Worth it in that sense. 9/hr? Hell no.

phalangepatella t1_jebu0rd wrote

I went from a commute that was 9 feet down my hallway to my office, to a commute of 45 minutes each way to an on-site position.

The ONLY reason this has worked is because my commute is against traffic. I wouldn’t do 15 minutes in a bumper to bumper crawl.

Some_Nibblonian t1_jebzc6e wrote

It’s not great but I’ve seen worse. Do it for awhile and try to negotiate off site wfh.

somathegreat t1_jec12fj wrote

45 minutes a day is killer. I don't think the trade off is worth it. If the pay was 100k then maybe. I haven't been in the office since 2019 and never plan on going back. Besides working from home is far more lucrative and pants are way overrated.

Ella0508 t1_jec3vgw wrote

Can you move closer to the new job, reducing commute time and expenses?

ybrodey t1_jec8gpu wrote

Probably worth it assuming you have better career trajectory.

Trav_k03 t1_jecbn60 wrote

In my experience, a 45 minute commute with no traffic is fine. 45 minutes in heavy traffic is miserable.

tomatuvm t1_jeccbmj wrote

That's a 50% salary bump. Do it for a year, learn some new things, find a job making $70k. This is the time in your career where you can have slight inconveniences to accelerate your growth.

tartymae t1_jecd8fi wrote

Does your local library offer the Hoopla app?

Because if they do, take adavantage of it for a lot of free audiobooks for your commute.

thealimo110 t1_jecep8i wrote

As others have mentioned, choose the job that's better for your career. You're essentially getting paid the same amount hourly for both jobs (math below). Definitely don't move out if you are comfortable at home. If one job is a clear winner for your career advancement, choose that. Otherwise, I'd stay at the remote job...you never know how bad the unknowns are at a new job (grass isn't always greener).

Assuming no state income tax, $42k and $60k become around $35.5k and $49.4k, so around $14k difference after tax. Subtract gas, car depreciation, etc, it'll be closer to $7k net increase in income ($35.5k vs $42.4k). Effectively 19% more income for 15% more hours (40 hours plus 6 hour commuting vs only 40 hours working).

Quiet-Road-1057 t1_jecgn5u wrote

Take it. We’re in a recession and stockpiling more money would be a good idea. Also, WFH is a terrible idea both early in your career and in a recession. I work for a major company and we literally just laid off all of our remaining WFH employees because the firm said that our younger staff has really struggled to perform well in the WFH environment and it’s the responsibility of older staff to develop them. The firm essentially saw the WFH employees as a net cost on the firm. You do not want to be in this position because the fed is trying to dramatically increase unemployment and I have the feeling it’ll be hard to get a new job sooner rather than later.

HumanCompany t1_jecof6b wrote

not everything is about money. is this a better job? will it lead to more opportunities? are you going to just stay at your current level bc it’s a good deal? all depends

Triscuitmeniscus t1_jecq99b wrote

Take the job. A 45 minute commute isn’t bad, and you can always move closer when you move out if you don’t like it. Even if the commute isn’t for you and moving closer is impossible for some reason, it will at least set you up for a higher salary in future job searches.

Most people will be able to get used to a 45 minute commute. A few (myself included) will actually come to enjoy it.

BankerBrain t1_jecus4g wrote

Financially it is probably worth it. If the new job will lead to you increasing your skill in an area that could catapult you into even higher paying positions later, then it is even more worth it financially. However, not all decisions are financial ones.

MsDisney76 t1_jed2h71 wrote

I’d go with the higher paying job, stay home as long as you can, totally max out your retirement, and plan for some great weekend trips with your friends.

superfluousImportant t1_jed58g5 wrote

Okay, so the breakdown.. Firstly, I find when people want something, they will 100%, 9 out of 9, LIE to themselves (and others) to make the math work by 'under-approximating'. And, secondly, I'll make some assumptions about mileage at 20mpg, $3.19/gal for fuel and I'm using 2hrs even for drive time @ 60mph so 120mile drive ea/day. So, here's my take (AND, thank you for the problem, as I was bored): 42k = 20.19/hr, 60k = 28.85. Of that, you can factor approx. 104hrs (52days) in drive time (current) = $1049(lost ducats)/6240miles ($995.28/gas) OR $39955.72/yr with an estimated drive time (future) of 260days or $5249.40 (lost ducats)/31200miles($4976.40/gas) equals $49774.20. Fed tax bracket is the same, so it's a 10k bump but you gotta spend more time going to-fro which increases risks (accident, etc). Is the 10k worth it? Only you know. GL!

Twoehy t1_jedkkqj wrote

Not all drives are created equal, but I had no idea the kind of mental and physical stress that commuting a little over an hour each way put on me, until it stopped.

It's not just those hours, it's the hours you lose when you get home because you are tired and stressed and need to calm down just from your drive, and then you're up earlier because everything has to start an hour earlier.

I value time not spent driving to be almost unquantifiable. Time is the only real commodity any of us have. If it's an easy drive and you like listening to podcasts and you get home refreshed then go for it.

That wasn't my commuting experience.

TMtoss4 t1_jeb6l2l wrote

Almost 50% bump.... I'd take it.

dogmom_humanaunt t1_jeb86to wrote

You don't mention whether *you* want to move out. What does rent closer to the new job look like. If *you* want to move out and rent near the new job is reasonable, you can take the increased salary and have a short commute.

I made the decision to accept a long commute for less of a salary increase (but still significant) and ended up staying at that job for years and really liking it. I didn't move near the new job, but I did eventually find a good paying job closer to home.

There are a lot of other factors that go into the decision, but with only the information you've given here, it sounds like you should take the new job.

VMI_Account t1_jebego1 wrote

Listen, depending on your lifestyle you might be able to justify this. Got nowhere in particular to be after work? Is this job a step up in your long term career goals? Pop in a podcast and commute. If you're a busy person though, probably not worth it based on the info provided.

Mirror_tender t1_jebkr6t wrote

BTW a 45 min commute isn't bad. Of more importance is your professional advancement and opportunity to learn. All the Best in your new gig.

NiceAsset t1_jebmmiu wrote

Work life balance is the key to career happiness my friend choose wisely

SnooLentils2432 t1_jebs5ru wrote

Been there, and done that. After some months, you gonna be driving down the freeway everyday, from and to work, and ask yourself if it is worth the move. Hopefully, you can say yes.

dlr1965 t1_jec01ic wrote

Listen to podcasts or audiobooks. Your commute will benefit you if you do this. Don’t waste that time.

TheRianKing t1_jec72qp wrote

I've been driving 45 minutes to work and back 5 days a week for 4 years now, the morning drive is fantastic, it's cool, I feel at peace, the roads are empty and smooth. The afternoon drive isn't worth the 45% increase in salary.

djpmc15 t1_jec8q2c wrote

An extra $18k for 300 hours of commuting. So you'd get paid $60/hrs to commute. Subtract out the cost of the commute.

Not sure about your job but I know people who work from home that used to work in the office. When in the office it was 40 hours of actual work but when at home they can get by only doing 20 hours. So something to think about if that's the case for you

anoxiasama t1_jecghre wrote

I would take a pay cut to work at home. I have driven so much in my life that Im ok with not doing it anymore.

A year ago, my commute from my garage to my locker room and back was 2.5 hours. Now its 1 hour. Its DRAMATICALLY improved my anxiety and stress.

lordByronVXI t1_jecn06j wrote

A lot of comments are focused on commute time. The office environment Ian a factor as well. As someone who only recently started going back onsite after 3.5 years away - it’s kind of nice seeing people.

datnetcoder t1_jedhfr1 wrote

At $42k, an $18k raise is transformative. Would be much less of a no-brainer (to take the new job) if they were already making say $75k. And the commute is not crazy by any means. Since you’re living w parents it sounds like you’re young/ no kids. My advice: 100% take this opportunity if that’s your situation. Stay living with your parents if you are OK with that outside of the commute consideration, thoughtfully saving to set yourself up for later.

drunkenbull26 t1_jedk1qy wrote

He is spending basically 2 hours a day commuting, he is working an extra day a week. After calculating his costs of his vehicle, along with 12 hours of time spent traveling per week or 624 hours of travel per year. I doubt he'll barely earn more than does now.

datnetcoder t1_jednh8f wrote

He’s not working an extra day a week, he works from home 4 out of 5 workdays per week. 1.5hrs commuting. Young, no kids (mentioned at least), tons of flexibility. It’s 7.5 hrs travel per week, not 12. Do it while young & free / if there are no kids or major commitments in the picture. That base salary is also a stepping stone to higher salaries. I’ve made a number of jumps and without bouncing around, it’s generally really hard to get to a certain income.

Imortal366 t1_jedpulj wrote

If you take the job and use it to move closer it makes a lot more sense

Euphoric-Blue-59 t1_jedzq8h wrote

Do the numbers. Milage, 1 1/2 hours of not paid work travel. Whats that come out to per year?

Igotme2022 t1_jee3u7n wrote

Eventually you may want to move out of your parents place. The increase will help and you can move closer to work?

Apollyon314 t1_jee75sn wrote

People in big cities would kill for that kind of commute for 12 mile each way. This is a no-brainer totally worth it move. Edit. I think i misread OP as 23 miles round trip. Still a great commute though.

CircaSixty8 t1_jeeck5r wrote

A 90-minute round trip daily commute is 7 ½ hours a week. That's a full work day. On top of which you're losing a day off by working 5 days instead of 4.

Plus, you're going to end up spending about 50 extra dollars a week on gasoline. Not to mention all the extra money you are going to spend on lunches.

If I were you I would not take it and try to find other ways of making extra money instead.

IndexBot t1_jeecne1 wrote

Your post has been removed because personal advice topics are off-topic here and better suited for other subreddits (rule 9).

• For general advice, consider /r/Advice.
  • For relationship advice, consider /r/relationships, /r/relationship_advice, /r/JUSTNOFAMILY, or one of the subreddits in their sidebars.
  • For career or job advice, consider /r/jobs, /r/CareerGuidance, /r/findapath, or one of these job-related subreddits.
  • For education advice, consider /r/Parenting for primary and secondary education questions (or one of the subreddits linked here) and /r/ApplyingToCollege for tertiary education questions (or one of the subreddits linked in their sidebar)
  • For medical advice, please talk to your primary care doctor, but /r/AskDocs may be helpful.

If you decide to post elsewhere, please read the subreddit rules before reposting. Some subreddits have strict requirements for submissions.

Submissions removed for this reason typically include one or more of these off-topic aspects:

We don't allow relationship or personal advice discussions. That includes:

• Content better suited for /r/relationships
  • Recommending a poster end their relationship or start a new relationship
  • Posts about suicide or violence
  • Posts asking for advice on how to convince someone else to change their behavior
  • Relationship drama not essential to a question or discussion
  • Family planning advice, especially unsolicited or flippant
  • Career, job, and education questions
  • Medical advice

If you have questions about this removal, please message the moderators.

DirtySocialistHippo t1_jeecps9 wrote

Your parents would rather you make less money than take the step towards higher pay? I don't understand this about a lot of folks, especially parents. A higher salary job isn't going to just fall into your lap. You need to make strategic career moves, including physical ones, to advance your career. I understand everyone's situation is different. But the argument that moving out offsets the salary increase is moot once you realize that the cost of living will always increase and your pay will remain stagnant unless you make these jumps. But barring physical disabilities where children may be playing caretaker roles, parents cannot be stunting their adult children's growth for the sake of feelings. I also can't imagine how it affects one's mental health to be working from their parents' home 100%. Good luck in this new endeavor! You've earned it!

Aliteracy t1_jeamdsg wrote

Not to me. 230 miles a week, 7.5 hours of commuting. Idk what you drive so raw fuel costs would vary. Thinking about it as nearly 400 hours of driving a year you aren't doing now sounds sucktacular.

bigpolar70 t1_jeaz0hb wrote

Mileage alone $0.655x23x2x4x52=$6,267.04

That's a third of your pay increase gone right there.

If you ve your time at $20/hr, $20x1.5x4x52 =$6240, that's another third.

So you are effectively getting an extra $6,000. But, you will pay income tax on all $18k.

If you need a better car to make the daily commute work, it is probably not worth it.

GoalVirtual9713 t1_jedtw89 wrote

That’s the IRS mileage rate? Unless they’ve got a weirdly nice car, that’s a large overestimate.

Also, it seems a bit strange to value or off work time at $20/hour. It of course doesn’t actually cost you that amount.

Rampag169 t1_jebctne wrote

Many people will commute multiple Hours one way to work. Look at California. Areas outside NYC.

lonea4 t1_jebhqjq wrote

Yea, and those people are miserable.

I-did-not-ask-this t1_jebd2oe wrote

Working on site with anything more than a 15min commute almost never makes sense. Remote is the way!!

−2

lonea4 t1_jeatsx8 wrote

You would hate your life and want your current job back.

Commuting sucks, period. Anything over 15mins is worth at least 50k more.

You are also forgetting you would need to waste another 15-30 mins to get ready for work. Time you would never get back.

Find another WFH job and just double up.

−4

KaiserTNT t1_jeavaad wrote

LOL, that's a ridiculous sense of entitlement. The median salary doesn't even pay much more than 50k total.

Assuming a 1 hour commute over 220 work days each year, that 50k comes out essentially getting paid $227 per hour.

If I'm getting paid $227 per hour to drive around I'll do it all day, wherever you want.

lonea4 t1_jeazw14 wrote

Entitlement? Or perhaps you've been trained all your life that companies shouldn't be paying for your actual time.

Time is money and it is something you will never get back in your lifetime.

The OP essentially only getting paid $375 per week (or $75/day) more. He/she can easily earn that without commuting that much. Op is wasting roughly 2hours each day on commuting and preparation. Not to mention the cost of the devaluation of the car.

Give me a break on this "entitlement" bullshit

KaiserTNT t1_jeb1tyz wrote

Uhhh, the only training that's relevant here is elementary level math. In your original comment you told a dude earning 42k a year he should refuse to drive more than 15 minutes for anything less than a 50k raise (more than double his salary, presumably based on a 40hr work week).

If you are really living the "time is money" ethos, you may want to revise your calculation.

lonea4 t1_jeb2so6 wrote

18 000 / 12 / 4 = $375 per week (assuming he's getting paid bi-weekly)

I mean that's a rough estimate, but give or take the tax deductions, gas for the commute. He'll be taking home a lot less than that.

LOL, so what exactly is your point of argument? That OP shouldn't value their time and just salve away at work?

KaiserTNT t1_jeb9893 wrote

>Commuting sucks, period. Anything over 15mins is worth at least 50k more.

THIS COMMENT IS WHAT I"M ADDRESSING. That you willfully keep arguing numbers from OPs actual situation instead of defending your above position is enough to tell me you realize how ridiculous an assertion it was. I understand this is the internet where nobody can ever admit to being wrong about something, even when they know they are. So...we agree to disagree, I guess.

lonea4 t1_jebgzqe wrote

Bruh.... I've been talking about the delta between the new job vs old job all along.

The difference between the pay is such minimal that you didn't think about how ridiculous your antics is/was.

You obviously didn't calculate the gas it'll cost the op to drive everyday and other commuting necessities.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't doubt the OP is only taking home additional $100 each week.

>I understand this is the internet where nobody can ever admit to being wrong about something

Yes, you are correct here. You are clearly wrong in this case.

bowoodchintz t1_jeak5iz wrote

Looks like I am the minority but that commute sounds brutal. I would be happy with that much time in the car. I think people underestimate the impact of a long commute.

−5