Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Sideways_X t1_iuihtdq wrote

Would love to, but to break it costs 2 months and I'm not going to be able to afford December, let alone 2 months.

−4

Cara_Marina t1_iuijpn7 wrote

Is your wife's name on the lease? Then she's also responsible for the rent. The landlord can come after both of you for the unpaid rent. Talk to your landlord, tell them you can't pay, terminate your lease, move to housing you can afford. They can't force the 3 months of rent out of you, they have to file a claim for it.

PoliteSupervillain t1_iuin275 wrote

I like this idea, then it will dock her credit score and she'll be more likely to pay

But would there be any interest on the rent if OP leaves it unpaid? Like snowballing debt?

Cara_Marina t1_iuinvem wrote

That's a good question - the landlord could potentially add additional fees on top of the unpaid rent, but as far as interest goes, I'm not sure. But if OP can't afford the rent and can't find a subletter, IMO it's best to cut losses, find affordable place to live before his credit score is affected, and go from there.

OP, as long as your wife's name is on the lease, she doesn't just get to leave you high and dry with the rent.

DoubleHexDrive t1_iuivvfu wrote

Landlord here… just talk to the landlord and explain. We all know someone that got screwed by a shitty ex and also know you can’t squeeze juice that isn’t there. If you can’t pay, their best option is to turn the unit around as quickly as possible. You may have to move quickly, but I suspect they’d let you leave without fines.

lilfunky1 t1_iuioa8d wrote

did you already talk to the landlord?

maybe they'd be willing to waive the normal fees of lease breaking considering the horrible way you've been treated by your ex partner.

No_Tension_280 t1_iujx4jk wrote

A lease is what they can do, not necessarily what they will do. They can't treat you worse just because you talk to them

zhentarim_agent t1_iuk7o03 wrote

Doesn't matter. Talk to your landlord anyways. They may take pity on you given the awful circumstances and let you out of the lease agreement.

Liquidretro t1_iujsyle wrote

You should still try to talk to the landlord, explain the situation and see if they can cut you a deal. Some money (if that) and letting you go on your own accord is better than no rent money and trying to evict you from a landlords point of view.

monarch1733 t1_iukbay7 wrote

Doesn’t matter. Have a face to face, human being to human being conversation.