Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

alexm2816 t1_iydjis8 wrote

As a whole, one's problems often seem insurmountable but when parsed through there is usually a set of solutions that are achievable, measurable, and reproduceable.

It seems semantic but you never use the active tense in describing your situation. Everything happens TO you and you accept 0 accountability for WHY your loans have defaulted, why you're rejected for jobs, why you're in your situation. Certainly bad things happen to good people often but rarely can one accept no liability for the bed they've made. Become an active conductor of your own life and get milestone A to lead to B to lead to C.

You describe no details about what your specifics are and as such no one can help you but step 1 from years of therapy is to get over your wallowing, accept responsibility and decide if you're going to roll over or if you are going to control what you can control/improve. I wish you luck.

OrangeFox88 t1_iydlbv7 wrote

Agreed. I only recently joined reddit, but it seems to me like this community is very willing to help come up with solutions and goals, and, understandably, a lot less willing to join in on wallowing.

If you're ready to actively take forward steps, which often can be emotionally daunting, then we're here to help. Like another user said, the first step is to make a ledger of the past few months and sort it into categories. If you're willing to share, the community can help evaluate areas that may be most helpful to get out of the sticky situation.

You are still young and can work on turning things around for future you.

le_fromage_puant t1_iydkoc8 wrote

I read your backposts. Please get into a drug rehab program and amp up your overall therapy. You have a life problem in addition to your money problems

BeneficialSomewhere t1_iydj6r2 wrote

Do you have an actual written budget?

Jimmyneautronpowers OP t1_iydjbf1 wrote

I don’t.

−9

BeneficialSomewhere t1_iydjmtj wrote

OK, one step at a time. Write down all of your recurring costs on an excel spreadsheet and then your income. Figuring out where every dollar is going will help you understand where you can cut costs, save more, etc. As for the credit cards and student loans, have you called the lenders to explain your financial hardships? They're typically willing to work with you if you call and set up some type of payment plan. Ignoring the payments is never the answer.

guachi01 t1_iydmik5 wrote

You write "no matter how much I try it will never be enough" and yet you don't have a budget. There's a disconnect I'm seeing here.

IAmCyper t1_iydoud3 wrote

What was your degree

Jimmyneautronpowers OP t1_iydpd85 wrote

2 year degree in the electrical field

TooSweetCaroline t1_iydqmhp wrote

Where are you located?

Jimmyneautronpowers OP t1_iydrca2 wrote

Chicago

TooSweetCaroline t1_iyds1si wrote

You should try a temp agency.

I work in the same industry and our company hires our employees first through temp agencies. Once you prove you’re reliable for a certain amount of hours we hire you through our company.

Have you had anyone look over your resume? Did your school offer any career services?

What about an apprenticeship?

Mr_Candlestick t1_iydnxdj wrote

Nothing you do will ever be enough? You work one part time job. Do more. Pick up whatever unskilled labor job you can find (a lot of places need workers), and get on the beans and rice for 3 meals a day plan until you can stay afloat.

Jimmyneautronpowers OP t1_iydo5bs wrote

I don’t know why no one will hire me. I never hear back after interviews. Really destroying my self esteem because I keep asking what is so bad about me that they don’t want to hire me?

puds1969 t1_iyeyhyq wrote

Do you show up on time? Demonstrate real enthusiasm for the opportunity? Do you present well and clean and appropriate for the job? Long pants, shirt, shoes, take that hat off, not looking homeless or like some weird gang or current trend for young people? Are you really thinking about the answers you give in the interviews and how they appear to the recruiter? Analyse your own responses. Next time, explain that you’d really appreciate feedback afterwards, regardless of what it is and follow that up with a call (even try any recent interviews) because you are clearly turning them off and it’s important to know why

retroPencil t1_iydj7w3 wrote

How much is your rent?

Jimmyneautronpowers OP t1_iydje25 wrote

It is only 752. But when your working part time and making minimum wage it’s really a struggle to pay it on top of other bills as well

−4

GMUcovidta t1_iydkm5q wrote

You need an actual FT job- that's the only solution here. You can keep the current job on the side

t-poke t1_iydktvh wrote

Every fast food restaurant I drive past has signs up saying they're hiring, and often for well over minimum wage too. You're telling us you've applied for all of those jobs and are getting denied? I think they'll hire anybody who walks though the door

Jimmyneautronpowers OP t1_iydobfm wrote

The “we are hiring” is bs because they wouldn’t hire me in a million years

−5

PeterLynch_29 t1_iydn795 wrote

That’s not really sound advice to get a job at McDonald’s at 23…

−9

t-poke t1_iydng5k wrote

It is if you're making minimum wage at a part time job, are struggling to pay the bills and are on the brink of homelessness

PeterLynch_29 t1_iydocsg wrote

I was going to say lean towards something where you can learn something that pays a few notches above minimum wage, but sounds like op just needs discipline in all aspects of life after reading some back posts

−3

retroPencil t1_iydjivb wrote

What's your income and why do you feel like it's not more?

Largofarburn t1_iydkng9 wrote

24k isn’t that bad. You need a budget, and seems like roommates.

Hard to offer any specific advice without any details though.

Jimmyneautronpowers OP t1_iydoe0l wrote

I think I will make a new post that goes into specific detail about my budget

juanshaftpatel t1_iydsbpj wrote

take control by making a written budget...if you cant do this simple 1st step, nothing can help you

juanshaftpatel t1_iydskp0 wrote

how much do you spend on fun? drugs? booze? entertainment? cable? fast food?

FearlessProblem6881 t1_iydk8j1 wrote

What is your degree in? Are you working in that field?

Jimmyneautronpowers OP t1_iydkk0t wrote

I have a 2 year trade degree in the electrical field. I am struggling to find a job for whatever reason in my field. My degree is starting to feel useless

4thAmendment1 t1_iydz2dd wrote

Sounds like there might be too much competition for electrical work in your area. There’s a few options. Search for entry level jobs in that field, contact your school also to see if they can get you in somewhere, I know some schools will do this.

If this still doesn’t work, look in other areas if you’re able to move. If you’d like to stay where you are and competition in that field is too tight start looking at other things. I got i.t certs and was unable to find a job for a while in i.t so I went into a relative field, banking/ fraud. While I don’t work ON computers I work WITH computers and I actually ended up really liking it more than i.t. Good luck brother, keep your head up.

IndexBot t1_iyf5c06 wrote

This post has been removed because it does not meet the subreddit submission guidelines (rule 1).

Posts must be a personal finance question or discussion with a descriptive title.

We don't allow:

• Polls, surveys, or questions that ask others to answer for themselves
  • Hypothetical or improbable posts
  • Success stories or thanks (use weekday/weekend thread)
  • Meta posts
  • IAmA/AMA requests or posts
  • News without a discussion, quote, or summary

If you have questions about this removal, please message the moderators.

Alone-Ad-2022 t1_iydrh5t wrote

Can you maybe file for bankruptcy? I don’t really recommend it as it will affect you for years to come but if you truly have no way out it may be your only option.

−3

Jimmyneautronpowers OP t1_iydrkkm wrote

Bankruptcy for only 4k?

Alone-Ad-2022 t1_iydrsb0 wrote

You say “only 4k” but obviously 4k is alot for you and you don’t see a way out. If 4k is nothing then start chipping away at it. Send minimum payments.

Jimmyneautronpowers OP t1_iyduufv wrote

My minimum payments amount to virtually nothing because of late fees and my ever so increasing interest