Submitted by RelevantToTheNameOf t3_z85z8c in personalfinance

Does anyone have any idea for how to go defensive in a 401(k) with limited funds available to invest in? It is with Empower Retirement, formerly MassMutual.

I can't go into cash or short the market or into a sector that I think is going to be bullish. What should I look for in the funds description to see if it's defensive? I would like to be a bit more active in managing my retirement funds.

EDIT: to close this out, once I actually tried to change my allocations, I was able to put 100% of my 401k into what's called a "General Account" which seems to be the same as cash. So I went into cash as of yesterday close. Let's see in a year how many gains I missed out on.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Mysunsai t1_iy9yopj wrote

What do you have available?

RelevantToTheNameOf OP t1_iya5kfc wrote

I don't appreciate the snark. I can have a view about the economy and the market direction. Maybe I won't have sick gains but why would it bother a commenter on Reddit if I don't know certain details about a specific retirement plan?

−10

Default87 t1_iyaaykv wrote

It sounds like you would be a great candidate to go 100% into the target date fund that closest matches your expected retirement year, assuming your 401k offers them (which outside of extremely small businesses, you most likely have target date funds available in your plan).

That will give you an appropriate mix of funds for your situation.

RelevantToTheNameOf OP t1_iyaha9k wrote

This is one thing I don't like about reddit.

OP: "Guys, what's the best way to peel an apple?"

Commenter 1: "You shouldn't be peeling apples."

Commenter 2: "Have you tried peeling bananas? They're a better choice."

−5

MikeWPhilly t1_iyannxf wrote

I think you are missing his point. It’s more like:

OP - I want to protect my money.

Commenter 1) - Keep investing

OP - I don’t need investment advice.

Commenter 2 - You do need investment advice since you can’t figure out the safe funds which are specifically labeled. I.e. Mutual funds. This is literally a 10 second google.

OP - I just want to protect my Money

Commenter 1, 2, 3 - Keep investing you already took a huge amount of pain.

DaemonTargaryen2024 t1_iybsm5h wrote

Think again
https://www.schwab.com/learn/story/does-market-timing-work

Those who flee to cash in response to short term market losses (after the market has already gone down by the way, locking in losses) have a far lower balance by retirement age than those who simply buy, hold, and keep buying through thick and thin.

You've conceded you don't know much about investments, which is okay. The people who frequent this forum do, and are telling you to reconsider "going defensive", as it's a data-proven losing strategy.

Good luck