Submitted by GhostRunner24 t3_zz6lbd in personalfinance

Out of necessity, my job duties have changed after one of our managers quit. I started doing part of his job. Because of that, I’ve become more efficient (not having to wait for him to do certain things before I do my part) and going through several months of training with new programs. My employer gave me a raise but because I’m not working 50hrs a week, my over all gross income has gone down by almost 17% in 6 months. I’m not sure what to do. Do I ask for another raise? Show them that being more efficient and taking on more responsibilities has actually resulted in me working a pretty normal 40hr work week and losing out on all my overtime? How should I present this to my employer? They’re not replacing they guy who quit.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Firm_Bit t1_j29s5rt wrote

You can speak to your employer about a raise after you do the math. It’d be nice to make what you were making before but in 40 hrs instead of 50.

If they don’t budge, you can just work more slowly and get even more OT pay.

If that doesn’t sit well, you have a fancy new promotion to put on a resume when you interview at other companies.

LM1953 t1_j2ad6ul wrote

Since he became a manager he is salaried- no more OT

−20

Security_Chief_Odo t1_j2ajy2k wrote

Not always true.

LM1953 t1_j2b7qbd wrote

Read the post again

−18

Security_Chief_Odo t1_j2b8ced wrote

I totally missed the section where they said they moved from hourly to salary. Can you show me where I am missing it in this post?

bros402 t1_j2bhbtu wrote

and you don't always lose out on overtime when you switch to salary

senseiteki t1_j2c310l wrote

Not always true. I was a Director and still was paid hourly with OT eligibility before changing companies.

CakesNGames90 t1_j2dz84k wrote

This isn’t true. My husband is salaried but he still qualifies for overtime.

Remarkable_Night2373 t1_j2b1422 wrote

On the low end that’s not true. Obama started that and it’s due to be upped. It’s one of those actual thanks Obama times.

−9

Gshawn112 t1_j2b2cbj wrote

The actual heck are you talking about. That's a corporate policy not an Obama policy.

CookieAdventure t1_j2b324h wrote

Literally federal law. There are non-exempt salaried employees who qualify for overtime.

southernwx t1_j2bfxj7 wrote

Yeah…. I was an “exempt” salaried employee making under 30k prior to that policy and getting abused with unpaid OT. Thanks Obama.

[deleted] t1_j29rqsa wrote

[removed]

GhostRunner24 OP t1_j29t39u wrote

If it makes a difference, I just checked the paperwork I signed when they gave me a raise and it states it’s a cost of living wage increase.

cooper8828 t1_j2b6i4l wrote

You need more money based on the responsibility you took on.

jgomez916 t1_j29r8kc wrote

To be honest they (leadership and HR) won’t care that you’d do not get overtime anymore. They benefit off not having to pay OT.

What was the raise they first gave you. At my work you get 5% raise for doing hiring duties.

As they just gave you a raise 6 months ago they likey won’t be willing to again until your next yearly review is due.

GhostRunner24 OP t1_j29rq8h wrote

I went from $25/hr to $27hr.

jgomez916 t1_j29s6j1 wrote

Okay so that’s an 8% raise. I’d def argue for more at the yearly review but it wouldn’t hurt to bring it up now.

However if they will be stingy then it will be hard for you to convince them because they already decided that the “manager” position is not essential and they can just pay another worker a little bit more to do the higher level work the manager did.

At that point the only thing you would be able to do would be less efficient so garner OT. You’d also just have the option to quite like the Manager did.

ItsWetInWestOregon t1_j2b4pww wrote

Ask for a promotion to that last persons position, if the won’t promote you (title as well) leave. If they do promote you, but don’t offer a raise that is inline with market rate for that position, polish the resume with the new title and start looking.

Techutante t1_j2biulh wrote

Ask him when he's going to replace your old position.

But sadly, the old adage comes back into play. "The reward for a job well done is more work"

Ok_Leg_6429 t1_j2aubdq wrote

Polish your resume/CV and start looking for another job.

ChiSquare1963 t1_j2c59rt wrote

Spend some of your work time developing new skills and learning about different parts of the company, instead of keeping your nose to the grindstone every second. Yes, using some of your working hours that way may require you to do some overtime. But if company expects you to pick up some of the managerial responsibilities, then you need to be sure you’re also continuing to develop skills.

sirguynate t1_j2cf8yv wrote

This is why I like Washington state exempt salary laws that went into effect this year.

Minimum exempt employee salary wage: 65,478.40

Job Duties: executive, administrative, or professional worker, outside salesperson or computer professional. Requires advanced knowledge in an intellectual field such as science, law,
medicine, theology, accounting, or math, that the employee gets from
lengthy specialized instruction (such as a graduate degree, or a specialized
certification like a certified public accountant). The work must regularly
require the worker to use their discretion and judgment, and cannot be
routine or physical.

Emotional-Savings-71 t1_j2dhdyv wrote

You jumped a tax bracket I'm assuming resulting in higher taxes being taken hence the loss in, income and you lost 10 extra hrs of pay which shouldn't seem like much but if you make 50 an hr thate 500$ less youd make

−2

absurdamerica t1_j2dkpjt wrote

Tax brackets are marginal. They don’t start withholding a ton more because you’re paying a few extra dollars from increased income. Yes if he got a 30k raise he’d notice but not going from 25 to 27 an hour.

Emotional-Savings-71 t1_j2dl5ln wrote

Yeah but he could of been teetering a few % extra being taken and the loss of 10 hrs of o.t will definitely be noticable was all I was saying because there's a huge difference in my checks between 50 hrs and 40hrs