Submitted by pigwona t3_10pkmnw in personalfinance

My girlfriend moved out of her apartment and back home nearly 4 months ago and she followed up with idk who but someone handling the insurance to make sure she wouldn't get charged for it in the future and what do you know they charged her. She said the apartment management doesn't handle the insurance but a partnered company does. She calls and calls but can't get through to a person even after an hour on hold. Can she just go to her credit company and dispute it since the insurance is making it impossible to contact them?

We live in California.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Werewolfdad t1_j6kz4i4 wrote

Renters insurance is a personal expense.

She should have called and cancelled it herself.

If she didn't do so, it'd be her fault

hopingtothrive t1_j6kz8qr wrote

Dispute it on the credit card. The CC company also may have a phone number or email to get in touch with them

Puzzleheaded_Put534 t1_j6kzebz wrote

Renters insurance is less than a Netflix subscription. Personally i would keep it even if she moves back to her parents home

pigwona OP t1_j6kzy3e wrote

I only talked to her briefly today so I don't have all the details but it sounds like she tried to ensure she went through the process to have it cancelled and re-iterated the question that she wouldn't be charged in the future. Also something about having got a plan that wouldn't auto renew. What questions should I ask her to see if she went through the proper steps?

pigwona OP t1_j6l22op wrote

I'm starting to think it was longer than 4 months ago because it might have been a 6 month lumpsum payment. She checked with whoever it is that the insurance is through at the beginning of the month and was told she would not be getting charged again. She talked about it before kinda worried it would happen anyway. Sorry I don't have much experience with this as I never rented in a contracted way. I've rented but for an internship at a company guys house with other interns and we venmo'd him.

pigwona OP t1_j6l3q0p wrote

Called her. I was a bit way off. She moved out in march 2022. Paid a 1 year lumpsum in January 2022 even though she moved out March 2022(things changed) and was told it would not be auto charged by the renters insurance company. She called again early this January and was told then it wouldn't charge. She admitted to not actually canceling but was under impression it would kinda end on its own I guess. She also found an email saying her policy was canceled in April 2022 so she thinks she canceled then.

Werewolfdad t1_j6l40p3 wrote

> She admitted to not actually canceling

Ahh, so we have the truth.

She can call and cancel and get a pro-rated refund.

She should have called and cancelled in March 2022 and gotten a pro-rated refund

Puzzleheaded_Put534 t1_j6l4u4t wrote

It's protection essentially for her things. It is a little redundant but if her parents house has a fire and they have a lot of expensive/significant stuff in there it can exceed their policy limit for reimbursement which would leave her out in the cold, kinda literally.