Submitted by normandy34 t3_10uz6ie in philadelphia

I have to be in DC for the Super Bowl. My significant other promised everyone there we'd throw a party for the game (like, this was advertised before the divisional round). Someone had a lack of foresight. Whatever, I got to climb a traffic light on Broad St five years ago.

Anyway, we're going down on Saturday. I'm planning on making DiNic's-style roast pork sandwiches. What are your suggestions for rolls? I'd like to bring something actually from Philly, but will they still be good the next night? Are Liscio's or Amoroso rolls available somewhere down there?

Anything else I should bring down? Mini cannoli? A gallon of red gravy? A handgun?

Go Birds

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Aromatic_Cockroach91 t1_j7ffs1f wrote

Sarcone. End of discussion.

SaltPepperKetchup215 t1_j7fn859 wrote

This, I took a shit load of Sarcones camping a couple years ago. The sandwiches we made 2 days later were still good on the rolls.

Phila21767 t1_j7eoiff wrote

Del Buonos hands down..forget the fact that it’s in Jersey.

mortgagepants t1_j7fvx9c wrote

agreed. depending on which way you drive to dc it isn't too far out of the way.

mortgagepants t1_j7fw157 wrote

if you're doing roast pork, day old rolls are best. there is a lot of juice/sauce whatever you want to call it, and a fresh roll just doesn't have the structural integrity to hold up to it.

OwnAlternative t1_j7g6y08 wrote

Depends on when you're leaving too. Cacia's is open 6 a.m. and they make the smaller hoagie/dinner rolls with a tighter dough. If you go there, I would recommend taking some pizzazz pizza (white pizza, slice tomatoes & hot peppers; good cold or hot) with you as it's always a hit when I got anywhere outside of South Phila.

tasker_morris t1_j7h9rm9 wrote

Liscio’s are classic and travel/keep well.

TooManyDraculas t1_j7j8gu1 wrote

I pickup Liscio's kaiser rolls on the regular. Kinda the only proper kaiser rolls you can find around here.

Hold up great for the week it takes me to work my way through 6 of em.

robo45h t1_j7jf56t wrote

Plenty of people have mentioned the staples: Sarcone's, Liscio's, Amoroso's, Cacia's. One thing I can add as a tip: You can get Liscio's at P&S Ravioli spots, such as 1722 Oregon Ave.

courageous_liquid t1_j7fsdsw wrote

Honestly if you're gonna do roast pork or something, you can make it ahead of time, bring it down in a sealed container with the rest of the ingredients separate, then heat and assemble on location. They'll be soggy as fuck otherwise.

I did this and it was using amtrak.

ringringmytacobell t1_j7g2ky0 wrote

If you're in the area, I've made great roast pork sandos using rolls from New York Bakery on 11th and Daly (between Jackson and Wolf). Whatever you do don't use amoroso.

MikeDPhilly t1_j7gmgs1 wrote

Cacia's or Sarcone's in South Philly. People will flip ove them.