Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

nightofthenothing t1_j8ddeoc wrote

Do you think the city will be a better or worse place to move to in the next 2-5 years?

Lucretian t1_j8di2r6 wrote

Frankly depends on your income level, what part of the city you can afford, your stage in life, etc.

mortgagepants t1_j8dj2v0 wrote

real estate values are going up, if that is an indicator you think helps.

Pfizer-Gang t1_j8dej05 wrote

Much better. Half because the city is coming off a low (crime wave). The other half is because it seems to me that the city is allowing more residential construction in center city and decrepit industrial parks. Will a lot of it be luxury/for the middle class? Yes. But at least the better off aren’t competing with lower income households for the same housing. There’s also a chance that public transit improves but I’m not holding my breath there.

Christinamh t1_j8qb0mb wrote

West is gonna be booming too because Penn and Drexel focusing on density and inching their way west. I work out there and I see more and more changes every day.

uptown_gargoyle t1_j8de6q0 wrote

in what sense?

nightofthenothing t1_j8deejj wrote

Affordability, public transportation, crime, etc. In the early stages of planning a move in the time frame mentioned.

uptown_gargoyle t1_j8df9el wrote

I'd speculate that it'll be less affordable in that time frame, probably both for renting and buying.

Public transportation is a toss up for me: if the bus revolution is allowed to happen I think it could help SEPTA improve, but it's already been delayed at least a year so I'm not holding my breath. The risk of inaction is that SEPTA will go on a downward spiral whereby reduced ridership causes reduced funding, which exacerbates the issues that themselves result in reduced ridership, and so on.

I'm optimistic about crime, although if CoL becomes less affordable (which I expect it will) and if SEPTA does the downward spiral thing (I suspect it might) then our crime problem could be compounded. There's only so much cops and local politicians can do to affect this (although they could be doing a lot more than they are currently).

UndercoverPhilly t1_j8ditll wrote

It has deteriorated a lot since COVID, although it has improved since summer of 2021 which was the worst in my area in terms of crime. But it is not the same as it was before the pandemic, although nowhere is.I always encouraged people to move here and enjoyed living in Center City. I’ve been here since 2006/7. I would not encourage it now. If you have another offer go somewhere else. I don’t see the city improving, but that could depend on the next mayor. It could get much worse if the next mayor is ineffective. I am staying due to my job. Otherwise I’d move. I had planned to buy a property since rents are outrageous (for me) but I can‘t imagine taking out a mortgage for a home in this city now.

ChooseYourStruggle t1_j8devua wrote

I think a lot depends on the next Mayor. Kenney was focused on some... interesting things. The next Mayor's focus will decide a lot. But from a people standpoint, a lot of us are getting fed up with the status quo and demanding certain systemic changes. That's a positive.

fisheggmafia t1_j8dhvaa wrote

Worse. It's progressively getting worse since the pandemic. The opioid epidemic is insane. People are like zombies. There's trash, and heroin needles everywhere. And if you're a woman do yourself a favor and don't move here. The cat calling and harassment is daily.

−16

lapeirousia t1_j8e3qqb wrote

>And if you're a woman do yourself a favor and don't move here. The cat calling and harassment is daily.

I'm a woman, and, while I can only speak for myself, I'm so glad I did myself the favor of not listening to comments like this when I was browsing this subreddit and considering moving here. Been here two years and haven't had any problems yet. I love it here.

fisheggmafia t1_j8e7d37 wrote

If you have Instagram please follow watchoutphilly it reports on creeps. Stay safe out there.

−3

heyitskaitlyn t1_j8dia3n wrote

Do you even live in Philly?

fisheggmafia t1_j8dm543 wrote

For 12 years, lived in East Kenzo and worked in center city. Moved out in January of 2022

−2