Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

julpalm3 t1_j8dsg3b wrote

Hello! My partner and I are moving to Philadelphia in July and visiting the city/his family at the end of March.

We have our sights set on East Passyunk, Fishtown, and the Center City area. I would love to live in East Passyunk just based off all there is to offer in that community, but was wondering how Point Breeze, Newbold, and Lower Moyamensing are? We plan on looking at all these neighborhoods when we come visit, but know you can’t experience everything in a short trip so I come to you all.

A little about us, we have been car dependent our whole lives, but plan on getting rid of one when we make the move. Fiancé is a bartender and is already excited for the scene. I’m in the environmental science world and imagine I’ll have a commute. So being reasonably close to public transportation would be clutch. But we’re both really looking forward to being able to explore the city on foot. We have two Aussies and are pretty active with them, so close proximity to parks is really important to us. Though we will definitely check them out first before bringing them to see how other owners/dogs are.

Thanks in advance if you read this and can offer any input!

julpalm3 t1_j8dt9fo wrote

Oh, also our rental budget is around $1800-$2000. We’ve already been looking at Trulia and Zillow in anticipation and know we can get a decent place with that. If there’s any other sites or realtors that you all recommend I’m all ears.

courageous_liquid t1_j8e32mq wrote

> Point Breeze, Newbold

Block to block, but getting better. It's significantly less maintained than east passyunk, but if you're closer to broad it's easily walkable to everything east passyunk offers, as well as the subway and access to some good buses.

It feels very neighborhoody over here though, where if you find a good block you'll know all your neighbors and everyone looks out for eachother. I don't know if east passyunk is like that, but once grad hospital gentrified it went from neighborhoody to just rich out of touch people living in their own little castles with little interaction with the world around them.

julpalm3 t1_j8e7fr3 wrote

Thank you! That’s what I imagined, we lived in east Atlanta for a year and it was very similar so I figured it’d be the same up there!

Definitely keep an eye out for Broad St.

Really appreciate your response.