Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MRichards18 t1_j83riot wrote

It’s hilarious that about a year ago people wanted this dudes head on a platter because he refused to get vaccinated.

Now, no one seems to give a shit about that at all and he is ‘loved’ and ‘will be missed’ by the sixers fan base. How the times change…

DelcoBirds t1_j84a65z wrote

>he is ‘loved’ and ‘will be missed’ by the sixers fan base

Not really seeing much of this at all tbh. A lot more of "it's a shame he never developed as a player"

APettyJ OP t1_j84d0t2 wrote

I was more of the latter sentiment initially after the trade, but he seemed/seems like a cool dude. I remember the v-log series from the NBA Bubble he went viral over, and seeing this gesture reminded me of that Matisse, vs the frustrating one. Cool guy to have had in the city.

baldude69 t1_j84vitn wrote

I’ll miss his defensive game but yea that was a huge liability straight up not being able to play in Canada because of his refusal to vaccinate, especially in the Raptors playoff series last year. He is a pretty sick defensive player who’s a great stealer and rebounder, so that I will miss about him. He had some big moments this season that were clutch for the win, but I also feel he didn’t hit his full potential as a small forward

GarlicCookieMonster t1_j847roq wrote

Honestly I don’t think many people forgot about that. It’s just shit blows over but I don’t think anyone was mad Matisse had a holistic approach from his family when it came to medicine. It was just totally asinine that he got first dose and then starts spitting questions and it literally did end up having an impact in the playoffs. Not that it mattered for sixers overall but that shit was Stupid w a capital S 😂

MRichards18 t1_j84acqs wrote

It was stupid that he made a personal choice on his own body? Crazy thought process.

−13

292ll t1_j8gggwu wrote

He got vaccinated once - he refused the second one…

B-BoyStance t1_j8442q8 wrote

Ever consider that maybe you're the one too wrapped up in the vaccine thing? And that maybe people got over it?

I thought it was a stupid thing to fight the team over. Then, time passed by. Now I don't care. I bet most people would say something similar.

−14

[deleted] t1_j848bm2 wrote

[deleted]

−8

B-BoyStance t1_j849c0f wrote

I mean he couldn't play in important games. Pretty reasonable to want someone that could. Then he could play, and people got over it.

I think you're giving too much power to a frustrating moment in time, and you should also leave more room for fluidity (i.e. it's okay for people to change their opinions and minds about things).

And obviously, it goes both ways. Cause you are right that some people took it to an extreme. Basically treated it as a political issue when we're talking basketball.