Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

irockunow t1_j8yhzoe wrote

finally.

ksquad80 t1_j8zjb5h wrote

You could have changed the radio dial long before this.

−33

Robert_A_Bouie t1_j8yihej wrote

Haters will hate, but you can't argue with the guy's ratings. I think that Crossing Broad hit the nail on the head.

Personally I was entertained by him many mornings. I do, however, blame him for Donovan McNabb not panning out as well as he could have. Cataldi and his bandwagon of buffoons booed McNabb on draft day because they wanted Andy Reid to draft Ricky Williams. I always thought that was rotten thing to do.

Rahawk02 t1_j8yrmb9 wrote

Ha I remember that my buddy and I were arguing that draft day at Dave and Busters I wanted Akili Smith instead and he wanted Dante Culpepper. We both ended up being way off.

obi-jawn-kenobi t1_j8yybat wrote

Who knows what Dante Culpeper could have been with our offensive line and Reid designing the plays.

CRolandson t1_j8z9nqt wrote

I remember that day very well, it was opening day of trout season and me my uncle and his friend were at a bar after a morning of fishing. We were playing pool and the Eagles drafted McNabb. He got booed and I remember being drunk off my ass and thinking it was fucked up but pretty crazy. Then we all went and passed out in the parking lot.

UnusualCanary t1_j982532 wrote

Culpeper could ball. The other big QB that draft was I think Tim Couch who was as bad as Akili.

IPA_lot_ t1_j9382in wrote

Donovan not panning out had nothing to do with Angelo and everything to do with the front office not putting weapons around him.

That said, McNabb is still the best QB this team has had.

Robert_A_Bouie t1_j9392fz wrote

It was a shitty thing to do to a young, talented player who had just been drafted into the NFL.

P0tency t1_j910b3h wrote

Wing Bowl is something this city will always be proud of. Thanks Ang.

ocnj t1_j8ytjxy wrote

I'm really going to miss Angelo. There's no doubt his show was not for everyone. For me, it was the perfect balance of sports talk and entertainment. But regardless how you feel about him, there's no doubt he worked hard, paved the way for sports talk radio, and deserves a nice and relaxing retirement. I met him once....and contrary to his on-air persona, he's actually a really nice, low-key, and caring guy.

gubmintbacon t1_j8za9ei wrote

I couldn’t help but do my Angelo impression when I listened in the car by myself. The amount of times I’ve yelled “CARSON WINCE!”…

raredad t1_j8zbcd2 wrote

Not a fan but would listen from time to time. Listened today and felt the love. He played the part and made sports radio. Congrats an enjoy retirement.

Lower_Alternative770 t1_j8ytjro wrote

Say what you want, but he was prepared and was an excellent interviewer. I will miss him, but even more I will miss Al. I hope when they give him his new spot, it's a two hour something show.

trolleyblue t1_j8zyp8q wrote

I think they said Al is gonna be doing a couple hours on Saturday and a flyers podcast.

I never really got why Angelo was so openly hostile about hockey when he had Al and Jonesy on his crew.

Lower_Alternative770 t1_j91adjl wrote

Yes, that's what Al will be doing. Podcasts and a show on a weekend day. That's when I want the something show.

I never got the impression Angelo was hostile about hockey. It just wasn't his favorite sport. There was also little discussion from the callers, especially in the last several years.

irishgambin0 t1_j9e074v wrote

i waited on Al Morganti and Ken Hitchcock at the Applebee's in Voorhees around 2005. they were so cool, and so funny. just chirping at each other the whole time. lol

i waited on a lot of Philly sports figures at that Applebee's. worst one was Simon Gagne, bar-none. McNabb was the 2nd worst.

the absolute best Philly sports figure i served was Keith Jones, hands down. dude was so nice and down to earth, hilarious, and he tipped me 100%. Al and Hitch were a close 2nd.

ScottishCalvin t1_j8zntaq wrote

When I moved here, listening to him and Ray Didinger on the radio taught me pretty much every I needed to know about the Philly sports scene. Some outspoken opinions sure, but I preferred him over everyone else on the station. I quite liked his ability to engage in conversation with everyone, on all topics, a few of the other presenters on WIP seem to have a style of expressing their onion for 20 minutes, then inviting callers on air and dismissing any opinion that isn't exactly what they just said, with the same talking points over and over again for an hour

Minqua t1_j903rwq wrote

I thought his inquirer column before his radio show (Brooky & The Rookie maybe) was pretty good. I didnt listen to him much on wip and i think some of the ratings were because it was the only sports talk morning show for a good part of his run, but he was a part of the philly sports scene for a really long time

Lower_Alternative770 t1_j96dgz0 wrote

I'll miss him. But, even more I will miss Al. I know he's going to get a podcast and a weekend show. I am hoping for a something show in which Al just speaks off the cuff.