Submitted by bibbitybobbityfuck t3_11zuff4 in philadelphia

I come home to my small apartment building, and three of the bags have been torn open, with rotten food scattered everywhere. And yes, I live in Kensington. It used to be that it would happen once a while to people who put out a white bag, but now this happens every week and it's been getting worse and worse. Who do I even talk to? The landlord bitches and takes a week to touch the stuff, trash collection only does closed bags, and the street cleaners came yesterday. I'm the only person in the building who regularly cleans out front, but I refuse to touch this nonsense (they're not even my bags).

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

homiefive t1_jdeibnx wrote

i've cleaned up similar situations in front of my place. i knew, in principal, that it wasn't my responsibility, but i wasn't about to live in filth.

bibbitybobbityfuck OP t1_jdfy4jl wrote

I'm just tired of being the only one in an apartment building who will take responsibility for it.

wizardjian t1_jdg7zz2 wrote

I feel you man. The apartment next to me never does their trash right and ends up having trash piled up in a small mountain on the sidewalks. It gets so bad that people in my apartment had to clean parts of it just to use the sidewalks.

CozzaFrenzy t1_jdeaqtv wrote

do you put your bags out the night before? we’ve stopped doing that and started putting them on the curb the same morning of pickup. (we live in kensington too and have had 3 trash cans walk off so that’s not a solution either)

bibbitybobbityfuck OP t1_jdfyetm wrote

Yeah, I put out my bags in the morning, but not everyone can do that. The only reason I do is because I have to be at work at 7:30am.

Also, that's the reason our landlord won't provide trashcans. That, and unattended trashcans quickly meet a fate worse than death in Kensington.

Away_Swimming_5757 t1_jdehqws wrote

This is the type of quality of life issues that come with living in Kensington. Easiest thing to do is move to a different area.

bibbitybobbityfuck OP t1_jdfyl5l wrote

I've been here for 7 years and it's never been this bad. I'd rather not move, because this is my home now. I hope it's just temporary.

Lorenaelsalulz t1_jdelys4 wrote

It sucks but to be a good neighbor, you suck it up and re-bag it. I’ve had to do similarly on my block. I rather clean it than let it sit for days and get scattered about.

NotAJawn t1_jdebs8u wrote

The only thing to do is pick it up, put it in a bag and try again next week. Wear gloves so you don’t get Hep A. Look out for needles. It once took 6 weeks for a big beef bone I was trying to throw out to actually get hauled away. I got tired of that kind of nonsense and moved out of the city. My trash gets picked up by 9am twice a week with no issues now.

bibbitybobbityfuck OP t1_jdfzbdr wrote

>"

Feces and needles are things I refuse to deal with because of the biohazard element (also clothes, because, hey, Kensington, heroin does weird things to bowels). I tend to nag my landlord about that, which sort of works. Although I had the fun(?) of coming home to a needle disposal box dumped next to our steps. Literally hundreds of little orange caps. Luckilly(?) no trace of dirty needles, so I could deal with it.

Also, a friendly warning to Kensington people who might be reading this - get your Hep A vaccine. It's actually really easy to accidentally get Hep A around here, if you're cleaning up. Human feces doesn't always stay recognizable, and can become dust that scatters on the ground. A friend of mine who gardens in the area contracted it.

malcolmfairmount t1_jdhwnmh wrote

I saw a dude sweeping up his block (South Philly) last month while walking by and witnessed a neighbor open her door, hand him some baked goods and thank him. I thought, what a wonderful thing to witness.

I decided to sweep up beyond my stoop the next week and 3-4 neighbors watched in amazement, called me the new block captain - all because I was tired of seeing broken glass on the block.

I hope if you continue to do what you're doing you'll inspire someone else (like my lazy ass, or maybe one of your lazy neighbors) to do the same.

danmusic666 t1_jdeqmnm wrote

Pay a rando 5 bucks to clean it up? Get a trash can? Idk man sounds like raccoons but could be hungry people. Either way you have options

bibbitybobbityfuck OP t1_jdfzlz4 wrote

>s

Oh, it's my homeless neighbors, for sure. I just wish they'd put shit back in the bag after.

danmusic666 t1_jdkbfsx wrote

I’m all seriousness sometimes a note helps. Like an “ I know you’re gonna do it just clean up please” you’d be surprised how many homeless people are more respectful of that sorta thing

DunieMunny t1_jdfnuc1 wrote

Yeah it sucks, there's so much in this city that falls through the cracks, and a few of us that still care enough to clean it up. Consider it an investment in your future karma, and know that there are literally dozens of us that appreciate your contribution.

hairlikemerida t1_jdkn2b0 wrote

You either do it yourself or you contact management.

I’m a landlord. It’s my job to make sure the building (including the outside) looks and operates nicely. I mean, yes, I would groan and bitch about it internally when the request came in, but if it has to be done, it has to be done.

Submit a request through 311 or call your councilman. It’s surprisingly easy to develop contacts within their offices; most of the aides are really responsive. They can also issue a trash ticket to the property owner.

PopularPopulist t1_jdfb81z wrote

It’s definitely squirrels and rats looking for food, but yeah there’s not much you can do unfortunately. If you could get your neighbors to put their trash in a can with a lid, or put their trash out in the morning, your problem would be solved.

I know it’s annoying, but maybe making a sign or leave a note for your neighbors to see that clues them into the fact that it’s animals who are tearing open the bags to get their food scraps. I know that they should know better, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t ever think about it. Maybe hoping that they would do something different after finding out is naive, but I doubt they wanna be stepping over tons of trash outside their own building every day. Hopefully.

bibbitybobbityfuck OP t1_jdfzvvh wrote

It's people. I'm 100% on that. I've assembled the neighbors on many other trash initiatives, including the "don't try to recycle pizza boxes, you idiots, the ratties will come and run over your feet when you leave the building" initiative.

icedoutskimaskszn t1_jdfwlwd wrote

people really need to put their trash out the morning of pickup. Unless you’re working overnight, It’s really not that hard. I’m in kens and get mine out between 639-715 and they come around 745-8 to get it. Everyone who has their trash out the night before ends up with issues where people, animals, or the wind have their way with it. I’d consider leaving a note requesting AM placement.

bibbitybobbityfuck OP t1_jdg07jo wrote

Where were you during the last three trashpocalypses where collection just straight up didn't come until 2-3 days later? I mean, in Kensington, laws are just guidelines anyways, but that was a little much.

Even then I didn't have this bad of a problem lol.

rjack1201 t1_jde9p8e wrote

Maybe it is time to move?

−10