Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

_mynameisclarence t1_jbg0f06 wrote

There was a time where damn near everywhere along Roosevelt boulevard there was a dude trying to sell you a turtle. This was like 10+ years ago.

courageous_liquid t1_jbg12qt wrote

Yeah I remember constantly seeing dudes on the el with them and even at lights, like at passyunk and vare

YourMooseKing t1_jbgo16c wrote

At one point my dorm room had a turtle tank with 2 turtles. As other people gave up their subway purchased turtles that number grew to 7 turtles. They lived for 8-10 years

Hanpee221b t1_jbic98w wrote

Does anyone know if you could just buy all their turtles and release them back from where they came? I feel so bad for these turtles and I’d spend some cash to just get them back home.

Nymwall t1_jbivzyw wrote

You cannot, the supply of turtles is infinite.

surfnsound t1_jbjn4fp wrote

Thanks, VSCO girls and your hydroflasks. Now look where you got us.

jbphilly t1_jbj82h1 wrote

Even if you could, these are probably invasive species that shouldn't be released into local ecosystems and there's no viable way to get them back to whatever part of the world they originate in.

Minute_Chipmunk250 t1_jbjg8l5 wrote

Yeah these are usually red-eared sliders, which are not native and will screw with the local wildlife. That's one of the huge problems with these turtle guys -- people get sick of their pets and release the turtles into local ponds, where they absolutely take over.