Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MikeDPhilly t1_jbk0q41 wrote

It used to be New Market. I remember going to the Rusty Scupper seafood restaurant there (on the Front Street Side) some time in 76 or 77. I also remember there were a number of retail merchants and artisans on the first and 2nd floor levels. Dickens Inn anchored the Head House side of New Market as well.

GreyAardvark OP t1_jbkgzyt wrote

That's a bit back for me. I only remember it from the 80s. Had some unique stores in it, but can't remember what as I was a kid. I know they were stores that sold pricey things, there was a restaurant or two I believe which might be what you were referring to, but I can't place the name. The stores never lasted there and it then became a neat place to walk through, and later became a bit dangerous.

MikeDPhilly t1_jbl6rwr wrote

Yes, it was really nice for abotu a year or two when it opened (think of it as a precursor to the Bourse Building, witha lot of cool shops) that later nosedived due to a number of factors. I'm guessing high rents, not a lot of weekly foot traffic, and only minimal parking available all played a part. I remember seeing a lot of skate kids hanging out in the late 90s/early 2000s and knew that meant it was past its primeand was becoming a good place to get jumped.

GreyAardvark OP t1_jbl9357 wrote

I remember the skate kids now that you mention it!

MikeDPhilly t1_jblk5ez wrote

For me looking back, it's amazing how quickly New Market went downhill. I think it took less than a decade from opening to failure. That was one of the hottest areas of development in the mid to late 70s; had it thrived, the South Street corridor would have looked a lot different by the 2000s.

Away_Swimming_5757 t1_jbkkp5w wrote

There was some food market that was supposed to open there maybe 5-7 years ago, if i recall correctly. they have their signage with a "coming" message on it for awhile. I haven't been in that area since pre-pandemic, so I'm not sure what ever happened to it,.