Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

skemojoe t1_jdvidhk wrote

I moved to Port Richmond ~6 years ago. Since then, Lunar, Nemi, Reanimator and some of the other places people have mentioned have all opened up. I was at the Flea this past weekend too, and the energy was great, and I really do feel like Port Richmond will only get better and better. I'm not sure if it'll ever be as hip as Fishtown, but once the trolley's are back I think development will take off even more.

There is so much potential here and with the proximity to Fishtown, lots of commercial space available and ready for redevelopment, and affordable housing. I'm psyched to see what happens in the next 5 years.

Tetsuo-Kaneda t1_jdvt9et wrote

It will. Fishtown was basically just a few bars scattered around for years and didn’t really take off until la Colombe was built.

Gobirds831 t1_jdw4cok wrote

I would say yes and no. Fishtown was already on the trajectory of taking off with Frankford hall, Johnny Brenda's and other establishments. It will be interesting once the construction takes off North of like palmer park on Frankford. Even further north of PBC it is becoming a nice little business corridor to Lehigh.

Tetsuo-Kaneda t1_jdw7gno wrote

I don’t know in JBs was the kickoff. That was 2006 and every other mainstay opened in 2010/11.

A_Peke_Named_Goat t1_jdwd86u wrote

Not technically Fishtown, but this is still Memphis Taproom erasure.

Gobirds831 t1_jdwlhb8 wrote

That area is so interesting cause see homes with the fish signs outside then north of York and I am just like this is not fishtown.

A_Peke_Named_Goat t1_jdwqhx7 wrote

I agree, but also if you find an old-school enough fishtowner and they will claim the neighborhood ends at Norris while realtors are probably calling areas across the viaduct Fishtown. And in my own internal map of Philly, Fishtown doesn't actually go all the way to Front St. even though thats covered by the FNA ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gobirds831 t1_jdwwizu wrote

I live on Gordon just a quarter block south of York, but how in gods name would you cut it at Norris. York is such a large street and goes up to the circle at Frankford and is more a definitive separation of the neighborhood. Back in the day it was just easier to know your neighborhood by Parish.

filladellfea t1_jdy5drg wrote

the barbary also deserves it's credit. when ownership flipped in 2007/2008, it really pushed fishtown as a destination. clubs like that simply didn't exist in philly before that time.

malcolm_miller t1_jdycw6n wrote

I remember going to The Barbary about 15 years ago. Fishtown is wild now. Hard to find parking easily.

spencersagan t1_jdw5npn wrote

I used to work in port Richmond near the la colombe bean roasting warehouse and it always smelled so good

Daisy_Steiner_ t1_jdyubyo wrote

It makes the whole neighborhood smell like toast. Took me a while to figure it out. I thought everyone really liked toast in the morning.

ADFC t1_jdw22c9 wrote

Wasn’t Starr proposing Frankford Hall a true “planting the flag” moment as well?

Tetsuo-Kaneda t1_jdw3suh wrote

Yeah you’re right. I thought Frankford hall was after la colombe but it was before.

baldude69 t1_je0mt11 wrote

By at least 3-4 years. I don't think that La Colombe opened until 2015/16

whatisevenleft t1_jdyc6nu wrote

Hahahhahahahaha!!!! Oh wow, that was something. La Colombe was what made Fishtown “take off”? Are you an owner at La Colombe? What a clown.

Umphreeze t1_jdwsz6n wrote

I moved here the exact same time. Agreed all around