Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

UndercoverPhilly t1_jegga90 wrote

I guess it's just gentrification... what can you do but move?

NotUnstoned t1_jeggzgj wrote

Has gentrification caused the price of groceries and all other products to go up as well? Housing has been hit much harder, but It’s just inflation.

UndercoverPhilly t1_jeghrzc wrote

Please. If you are going to argue that there is no gentrification in Philadelphia, then let's just stop here. It's not just inflation when it comes to real estate. I've been here since 2006 and it doesn't even look like the same city--that's a good thing but on the other hand one can't claim all that was inflation.

erdtirdmans t1_jeglrdi wrote

People love saying "gentrification" like it's the boogeyman and leaving it at that 😪

Gentrify me, baby. I want that sweet sweet tax base and demand for more density and development so we can someday get back to having public transit where people aren't raped and sitting next to crackheads

UndercoverPhilly t1_jegm1gw wrote

The people who are going to pay $3000 a month to live in these apartments, or those buying one for 3 million plus on the square aren't ever going to take the MFL. If they don't have their own car, they will uber if they have to go somewhere they can't walk to. The city couldn't care less what those that have to take the MFL have to contend with otherwise it wouldn't be like that now. They pocket our tax money so it's just going to be more that doesn't go into city improvements and expenses.

erdtirdmans t1_jegmggm wrote

It's almost like i mentioned a tax base and you just went with whatever you decided you read

UndercoverPhilly t1_jegn4pe wrote

No, I've lived here for 15 years and the city government is corrupt. Everyone knows this. If it weren't then yes, increasing what the city collects would help. But the money won't go where it should to help.

erdtirdmans t1_jego17x wrote

Aight that's fair enough but then we're just black pilled with no way to pull out of the tailspin without somehow divesting from municipal government, which almost never happens. I still have hope that if we get people into the city that care about government working and demand something from it, we can turn it around