Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

hairlikemerida t1_isvel26 wrote

How on earth would the cop know what directions the accident occurred at? Just because the streets go a certain way doesn’t mean anything. People back up in intersections all of the time or even sometimes go up a street the wrong way if something is blocked off.

Asking cardinal directions is entirely standard. And yeah, actually, if you’re driving, you’re carrying a compass. All cars have one built in that displays on the dash constantly.

f0rf0r t1_iswdwnk wrote

wtf no they don't

new ones maybe

hairlikemerida t1_iswesk7 wrote

Uh, yeah, they do. All cars have a little display, whether it’s on your dash, infotainment system, rearview mirror, whatever, showing which cardinal direction you’re traveling.

It’s not an actual compass that spins around. Although those were certainly more common in the early 2000s.

ETA: Obviously, cars without digital capabilities in any way, such as vintage/classic vehicles are not likely to have this. But all 2000s and later vehicles should have a compass display somewhere.

It will just state the direction. Nothing else. So ‘NW’, ‘S’, ‘NE’ would be what is displayed.

−7

f0rf0r t1_iswfg8u wrote

Bro an absolute fuckton of cars did not have this and probably still don't (you can still buy ones without all the infotainment bullshit, although it's harder). I mean I generally know where I'm going and google maps is more useful than any of the built in shit anyway but I have never owned a car that had a compass anywhere on it lol.

hairlikemerida t1_iswg1r3 wrote

This is not some elaborate piece of technology.. It’s the direction and temperature. If it’s not on your cluster, screen, whatever the hell, it’s most likely this.

It seems a lot of cars were phased into this in the early 2000s. Most new cars do not utilize the rearview mirror display.

−6

f0rf0r t1_iswi0vs wrote

lmao yeah my dad's truck had one of these and they were pretty common but that's not the point - lots of cars didn't, which is why these aftermarket units even exist! you are confidently making an assertion that is demonstrably wrong, online! one of the classic blunders.

Away_Swimming_5757 t1_isxjiwr wrote

Agreed. It's a very standard question and drivers should be expected to be mindful of the directional details of their accident so the report can be made accurately.