Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

PhillyPanda t1_istys2v wrote

Rhynhart is a gem

this_shit t1_isuc0wb wrote

TBH, this is definitely making her look more appealing. Last year when she caved to the "blame krasner" trope I was worried we wouldn't have a single candidate willing to talk about police dysfunction. But this report basically nails it.

If she follows up with a platform designed to fix PPD (that will actually work, starting with a new commissioner and upper management) she might earn my vote.

themoneybadger t1_isufk23 wrote

She firmly blamed Outlaw and Kenney for the dysfunction during the protests turned riots, so its not like she's on one side or the other. She's calling out all the bullshit.

this_shit t1_isumuh9 wrote

Oh I agree, but last year she came out with a series of policy recommendations on how to address crime that were heavily focused on the DAO and very little on policing. I think this report is much more in the right direction.

FWIW, I'm not a Krasner diehard (I like many of his policies, but he's made plenty of mistakes, too) - but the FOP has gotten way too much mileage out of blaming Krasner for the police department's stunning incompetence, and it bothered me that she was seeming to align with that narrative instead of talking about what was wrong with PPD.

Every other philly politician seems to be incapable of talking about police from a perspective of trying to fix what's broken. Even MQS (who's running on a 'make government work' kind of platform) can't seem to articulate what she thinks is wrong (besides 'too few cops')

themoneybadger t1_isuosw6 wrote

If you read the report you would see she's been working on this since 2020. She didn't want to put out some half ass statement like the rest of our city politicians do.

I still disagree with your overall statement though. Her Jan 2021 report was extremely critical of the police and their failings. The fact that you would even consider somebody criticizing Krasner to be a "trope" shows how biased you are. Being critical of the DAO is not mutually exclusive to being critical of the PPD. Krasner and his office are incompetent. Outlaw and McNesby are equally incompetent.

Scumandvillany t1_isvvcor wrote

Yeah this is the big problem for me. Even Rynhart herself isn't really articulating strongly the sheer depth of the incompetence of the police and their ineffectiveness and lack of efficiency and organizational transparency. We need someone to call this shit out LOUDLY AND OBNOXIOUSLY, and at the same time criticism of Krasner is definitely warranted, especially his attitude on gun possession charges.

ipissexcellence21 t1_isxo2po wrote

When you run out everyone in the command staff that knows what they are doing and replace them with incompetents, after hiring an inexperienced commissioner who couldn’t handle a much smaller department only due to her race and gender, I don’t know what else anyone expects.

this_shit t1_isxu1q7 wrote

> that knows what they are doing

So... you didn't read Rhynhart's report.

>Philly Police Dept. has inconsistent strategies, slow response times, and outdated systems, city controller says

Other than sexually harassing/fucking direct reports and failing to show up to work, what exactly does the current leadership excel at?

ipissexcellence21 t1_isxxf2k wrote

Your reading comprehension skills are awful wtf. You quoted me saying the entire command staff and commissioner are incompetent then asked what do they excel at? Read it again but slow this time they excel at nothing that was my point.

this_shit t1_isyobpu wrote

Where is this evidence of a command staff that ever knew what they were doing? If the department started falling to pieces when Ramsey left, that would indicate that Ramsey was the one holding the shit show together, not a mysterious clique of competent managers.

And are you implying that someone (Ross? Coulter? Outlaw?) purged the upper management of PPD? Do you have names of competent inspectors you think were purged?

You implied (not stated) that there was at some point a competent command staff. My reading comprehension could be shit, but if you're not actually saying the things that you're thinking, that's just bad writing.

ipissexcellence21 t1_isyzt84 wrote

Yes Kenney and outlaw have, you do know the deputy commissioners are pretty much if not all new since outlaw arrived right? Are you just arguing to argue or do you not know what’s going on? Sullivan, Wilson… if Sullivan was still there the riots wouldn’t have happened. Kenney got rid of him the brought in outlaw, there was no plan for the riots at all. This is all well known.

this_shit t1_isz20jm wrote

> Are you just arguing to argue or do you not know what’s going on?

Bro you've got to unwind your conception of who you're talking to. Look at your comments: you come in hard with accusations of bad faith and then act incredulous when people ask you actual questions. It's fully weird.

> if Sullivan was still there the riots wouldn’t have happened.

No argument there, Outlaw's incompetence was well-established as the primary reason for the lack of a response plan and the way the riots devolved. She is also the one who threw Wilson under the bus for the tear gassing on 676. She's a politician, not a professional.

But both Sullivan and Wilson were inspectors and deputy commissioners during a 7-year period when the city's murder rate steadily climbed and their ability to solve crimes declined. Calling the people who ran the department into the ground "competent" is exactly the kind of willful blindness that /u/scumandvillany is talking about.

This is all interpersonal politics, same as every other dysfunctional agency in philly - one group is mad at another group so they blame everyone for all the problems. But surprise, surprise, ousting your political enemies isn't the same thing as solving problems.

ipissexcellence21 t1_isxnm67 wrote

She criticized everyone but I won’t let her criticize my guy 😂. He’s a huge part of the problem, she’s laying it all out for us. You shouldn’t only believe the parts that agree with your views.

−2

this_shit t1_isxtfzo wrote

What part of "I was frustrated when she hadn't articulated criticisms that were merited, but now that she has she might win my vote" led you to that conclusion?

ipissexcellence21 t1_isxxqsg wrote

When you called blaming Krasner a “trope”.

this_shit t1_isyd0cf wrote

Oh okay, so you read half the comment and lost your shit at a word, then rage-replied before finishing the rest of what I said.

That actually explains a lot.

randym99 t1_isyi899 wrote

sir this is reddit, it's what we do: read headlines, ignore substance and nuance, call names, shitpost

/s

actually not-/s, this is modern day political discussion

ElenorWoods t1_isv4ya4 wrote

She goes above and beyond financial audit. Is the normal for a comptroller? As an auditor, I think this is beyond her purview.

Edit: not sure why I’m being downvoted. I love her. She’s my audit superhero.

−10

themoneybadger t1_isvc4w4 wrote

Outlaw is that you?

ElenorWoods t1_isvctwl wrote

Huh? I was just wondering if this is normal for what comptroller does. I don’t think normally, which makes this impressive and unprecedented. It shows she cares about the city by going above her duties.

filladellfea t1_isw7vhs wrote

as someone who regularly defends the PPD on this sub, i say this:

thank fucking god she is putting in this work. who gives a fuck if it's within the normal bound of her responsibilities - this city is spiraling, we should all be thankful that someone is willing and capable of stepping up to the plate to try and address this shitshow.

ElenorWoods t1_isx3et7 wrote

I’m not disagreeing with anyone. I think she’s a boss.

Scumandvillany t1_isu7ssu wrote

"A handful of officers sole responsibility is to physically deliver on paper interdepartmental memos"

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK

MANDATORY REASSIGNMENT TO WALK A BEAT

Seriously, a politician could make huge amounts of hay by criticizing the police and saying at the same time we need police but we need them to modernize and improve operational efficiency.

Marko_Ramius1 t1_isungmj wrote

They don't have email? I mean I know there was a report a few years ago that the city's computers still running on like Windows 95 but Jesus Christ

Scumandvillany t1_isuu1mg wrote

These motherfuckers are still using TELETYPE printers for gods sake

RustedRelics t1_isv9jf7 wrote

Next up: those damp blue-purple mimeograph sheets we got in grade school. (dating myself here)

kkirchhoff t1_isv4ov1 wrote

Hey, have you ever received a memo by hand? Much more satisfying than mail or email

Scumandvillany t1_isvaaxo wrote

I've always wanted a set of those Charlie's angels speakerphones it's true, but I didn't think the police would still be using pages to deliver memoranda

Iceman705 t1_isx88id wrote

This is some office space shit.

“I HAVE PEOLE SKILLS! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!!”

mustang__1 t1_it53kge wrote

Let's not .... JUMP TO CONCLUSION.... Here....

_token_black t1_isyeac2 wrote

>a politician could make huge amounts of hay by criticizing the police

Not in 2022, where doing that makes you pro criminal and your opponents will run on that fact alone, and nothing else. And it works, as sad as that is.

Ng3me t1_isyxbtw wrote

All the reasons the right wing nut jobs give for hating unions are actually things their bffs the cops do all the time.

signedpants t1_isu0acb wrote

11-22 per district on patrol. Seems low, that's like 250-500 across the entire city. I don't actually know if it helps tho.

Edit: Would also like a more robust way to track 911 calls than simply answering them. Calling 911 after you've been t boned and your car totaled then having the operator tell you a cop won't come out unless you're hurt is not exactly my idea of emergency services, even if they answered it quickly. Obviously this is anecdotal lol.

Scumandvillany t1_isudq8q wrote

11-22 per district seems low as fuck. There's 21 districts, you take an average, that's 350 police on average on patrol. There's not a distinction made for shifts, but it seems they're all on 12 hour shifts lately, so what, that means 175 officers on patrol in the entire city at a given hour? That is incredible. Damning actually. Maybe I'm reading it wrong and that means 350 per shift for 700 or so assigned to patrol, that's like 14-% of officers assigned to patrol. It's complete institutional failure.

Tps64 t1_isyqoxh wrote

its probably closer to 3000 are assigned to patrol

−1

Scumandvillany t1_isytbiy wrote

Idk man. That's 142 officers per district, so 45 or so per shift assumes three shifts. I don't see it. At least not in my district. I've been told maybe 5 for roll calls are around.

Tps64 t1_isytj0y wrote

district like the 1st and 5th have less, probably around 100 or so. districts like the 22nd and 35th have way way more.

and the shifts arents even. last out is lighter than the 2 daywork shifts.

Scumandvillany t1_isyy3lo wrote

I don't see anything close to that in my district in terms of deployment

Tps64 t1_iszghs4 wrote

yea well after days off, different shifts. people wjo work inside and people IOD, it drastically cuts it short. first is lucky to have 6 overnight most days.

_Sebaceous_cyst t1_isubf7t wrote

Yup. Had someone hit my parked car with me in it. Was my first car accident so I called out of instinct and was told I would have to go to the station to make a report. Cop berated me with questions about North and south like you’re the cop you should know. I don’t carry a compass around. Anecdotal but I felt like a suspect for just sitting in my parked car lol.

TiberiusDrexelus t1_isug2pb wrote

> I don’t carry a compass around

not to victim-blame in any way, but Philly is the easiest city to orient yourself in; just figure out where City Hall is on the skyline, and remember where in the city you are in relation to City Hall

it's what I miss the most while living in the suburbs

_Sebaceous_cyst t1_isugbaw wrote

I have a sense of direction but that’s not the first thing I’m thinking of when I was just in a car accident.

TiberiusDrexelus t1_isup2bp wrote

certainly not, especially after they made you leave the scene to report it

ThreePointsPhilly t1_isup50w wrote

It breaks my brain trying to think how I should orient myself with this method.

TiberiusDrexelus t1_isuqlwl wrote

>be in Graduate Hospital and need to get to Temple's North Philly campus, despite not knowing how to get there, but knowing that you're in the southern half of the city

>look at skyline, see City Hall ahead of you and to the right

>think "ok I'm looking north, City Hall is to the east, so I'm southwest of it"

>think "I need to travel east a bit, and then North till I hit Temple's campus

works really well if you know the grid too

Away_Swimming_5757 t1_isxi7ln wrote

City Hall is central. If you're west, north, east or south of City Hall, should be able to inform the other directions any corners and traffic. It's very simple once you think about it and will benefit you in life to make note of it.

(For example, knowing if you're getting picked up on the NE of a corner, rather than just saying the intersection.

ThreePointsPhilly t1_isyddfd wrote

I get it. Just the “anywhere in the city” part makes my brain hurt. If I’m standing in Ridge Avenue in Roxborough I’m gonna have to really think of how to orient myself.

Maybe I’m just bad with directions.

hairlikemerida t1_isvel26 wrote

How on earth would the cop know what directions the accident occurred at? Just because the streets go a certain way doesn’t mean anything. People back up in intersections all of the time or even sometimes go up a street the wrong way if something is blocked off.

Asking cardinal directions is entirely standard. And yeah, actually, if you’re driving, you’re carrying a compass. All cars have one built in that displays on the dash constantly.

f0rf0r t1_iswdwnk wrote

wtf no they don't

new ones maybe

hairlikemerida t1_iswesk7 wrote

Uh, yeah, they do. All cars have a little display, whether it’s on your dash, infotainment system, rearview mirror, whatever, showing which cardinal direction you’re traveling.

It’s not an actual compass that spins around. Although those were certainly more common in the early 2000s.

ETA: Obviously, cars without digital capabilities in any way, such as vintage/classic vehicles are not likely to have this. But all 2000s and later vehicles should have a compass display somewhere.

It will just state the direction. Nothing else. So ‘NW’, ‘S’, ‘NE’ would be what is displayed.

−7

f0rf0r t1_iswfg8u wrote

Bro an absolute fuckton of cars did not have this and probably still don't (you can still buy ones without all the infotainment bullshit, although it's harder). I mean I generally know where I'm going and google maps is more useful than any of the built in shit anyway but I have never owned a car that had a compass anywhere on it lol.

hairlikemerida t1_iswg1r3 wrote

This is not some elaborate piece of technology.. It’s the direction and temperature. If it’s not on your cluster, screen, whatever the hell, it’s most likely this.

It seems a lot of cars were phased into this in the early 2000s. Most new cars do not utilize the rearview mirror display.

−6

f0rf0r t1_iswi0vs wrote

lmao yeah my dad's truck had one of these and they were pretty common but that's not the point - lots of cars didn't, which is why these aftermarket units even exist! you are confidently making an assertion that is demonstrably wrong, online! one of the classic blunders.

Away_Swimming_5757 t1_isxjiwr wrote

Agreed. It's a very standard question and drivers should be expected to be mindful of the directional details of their accident so the report can be made accurately.

mistertickertape t1_isufkwj wrote

Huge warehouse across the street from me was on fire a couple years ago. Had to call five times before anyone answered. Even then they seemed unconcerned.

this_shit t1_isucck3 wrote

Patrol is a black hole of wasted effort. We need officers to respond to calls, but beyond that you're wasting a payroll on security theater.

Solving violent crimes and arresting criminals is the only way to fix the perception that doing crime won't lead to consequences. We need more murder/assault arrests and fewer contraband arrests.

Kageyblahblahblah t1_isufg7t wrote

Patrol is useless, they’ll sit in their cruisers on the phone. Get out and walk a beat.

ColdJay64 t1_isuftjl wrote

Yep. There should be 24/7 patrols walking up and down Center City and other neighborhood's primary commercial corridors. The pedestrian volume warrants this.

RustedRelics t1_isv8uzx wrote

Agreed. In NYC it’s just part of the landscape that beat cops are on foot nearly every block on the avenues. (also a good number of bike cops). Where the hell is Outlaw in explaining her decision making on all of this?

ipissexcellence21 t1_isxygnf wrote

Where would they get all these cops from for these foot patrols?

ColdJay64 t1_isy9x99 wrote

ipissexcellence21 t1_isyzzwf wrote

After you hire civilians to do the jobs sure.

ColdJay64 t1_iszb8nm wrote

There are 6000 officers with only 2500 on patrol.

"More than 650 Philly police officers are unavailable for duty because of injuries. But some blatantly work second jobs, and their peers are fed up. Says one commander: “It’s a shame we don’t even hold ourselves accountable.""

These changes could be made now dude

Scumandvillany t1_isudyve wrote

Even if this is true(I'm not convinced), what exactly are the rest of the police doing? Certainly not solving crimes.

MANDATORY 4K

this_shit t1_isuijyv wrote

Lol, apparently writing up paper messages to hand to other desk jockeys to deliver in person.

PPD had 7,167 employees in Dec. 2020. Of those:

• 4,000 in field operations
  • 1,000 in support services
  • 1,050 in criminal investigations
  • 450 in "homeland security/intelligence"
  • 225 in professional standards
  • 175 in forensics
  • 150 in aviation

Within "field operations," the big chunks are ROC North (1,900) and ROC South (1,850). As an illustration, ROC South looks like this:

• 1,587 police officers
  • 143 sergeants
  • 46 lieutenants
  • 33 corporals
  • 12 captains
  • 3 inspectors
  • 1 chief inspector

Within Criminal Investigations division, there's a different breakdown:

• 537 detectives
  • 322 police officers
  • 96 sergeants
  • 57 lieutenants
  • 12 corporals
  • 14 captains
  • 6 inspectors
  • 4 chief inspectors
  • 1 staff inspector

It's very strange to me that middle and upper management in the criminal investigations unit are staffed at similar rates to patrol divisions with >2x the number of officers. Also, the number of budgeted detective positions decreased from 2020 to 2021.

mustang__1 t1_it5340m wrote

I dunno. Sometimes theatre works. I think. I'd like to think someone wouldn't break the law right in front of a cop..... But.... Yeah. Who knows anymore

Bartleby_TheScrivene t1_isxt5bp wrote

I'd rather have a security theater than a crime circus.

this_shit t1_isyoz6l wrote

Okay but what if it's not a tradeoff?

What if the security theater does nothing to affect the 'crime circus?'

Is that a good reason to spend money on security theater?

Bartleby_TheScrivene t1_isyrfc8 wrote

Yes. It is. Perception is reality.

this_shit t1_isyt2zr wrote

Then why didn't you just say that? How can we have a conversation about my ideas and your ideas if your ideas are so obscured by such a thick layer of ironic sarcasm that I can't even tell what you mean?

What's your argument for why patrol reduces crime?

a-german-muffin t1_isu71bz wrote

LOL, my favorite detail might be that the PPD is using fucking teletype machines to distribute info at roll call. Good thing no one invented some kind of electronic mail system 50 goddamn years ago or anything.

thirst_annihilator t1_istxqee wrote

i was told this was all krasners fault

NonIdentifiableUser t1_isu5ehx wrote

400 comments on the other thread about Wawa and relative silence on this one, so yeah. Krasner is a problem but if anyone thinks this is all at his feet, you’re ignoring a huge part of the problem

themoneybadger t1_isufw00 wrote

I think most sane people realize that both the PPD and the DAO are completely incompetent. They are the two halves of our criminal justice system and the fact that they don't even try to work together shoes how much they actually care about the people of Philadelphia.

Scumandvillany t1_isvw5g5 wrote

I have always been as critical of the police as of Krasner. Probably even more so of the police. their incompetence is deep and institutional. At least krasner is semi open about who he is, though I vehemently disagree with his operational decisions, but not so much what he ran on(focusing on violent crime vs nonviolent crime). Though I will admit that it does seem that completely abandoning minor crimes seems to have not been the right move.

_token_black t1_isyex6e wrote

They're all too busy going through any other PPD topic and downvoting the comments they don't like. There's not much to add here that wouldn't expose their bias.

redjonley t1_isu4mnq wrote

Krasner has to stop running around the EMS dispatch office unplugging everyone's workstations. Everybody has an office prankster smh. /s because I guess that's needed.

Scumandvillany t1_isue1kp wrote

it's the whole team

thirst_annihilator t1_isufs7m wrote

the whole damn team!

seriously though philadelphia might be able to unite behind the idea that both krasner AND the police suck at their jobs.

willashman t1_isuwbl5 wrote

I think most people don't like Outlaw. This report shows she doesn't know how to run anything, and should be fired.

But Krasner is not any more innocent in his poor leadership of the DAO just because Outlaw is a moron.

ipissexcellence21 t1_isxorc4 wrote

I don’t think anyone thinks it’s all his fault, he is a huge part of it though.

−1

dc122186 t1_isu2e8w wrote

> Our review identified many organizational and operational challenges, including ... a convoluted city system for monitoring and investigating officers out with Heart and Lung cases

Shocking. /s

randym99 t1_isuf3j2 wrote

>Consistent with national standards, PPD seeks to answer at least 90% of 911 calls within 10 seconds. Between 2017 and 2021, the percentage of 911 calls answered within 10 seconds dramatically decreased from 95% to just 68%. While the decline was most significant between 2020 and 2021, and it appears that some improvement was made in early 2022, PPD has not met this goal since 2018. Additionally, PPD’s time to respond to the highest priority 911 calls was longer than any other large city reviewed.

Why is Krasner/Kenney not letting them answer the phone or respond to 911 calls??

​

>From 2016 to 2020, Philadelphia had the lowest homicide clearance rate of the 10 largest cities in the U.S., significantly lower than the rates for cities of comparable size such as Phoenix and San Antonio.

Why aren't Krasner/Kenney letting PPD clear these homicides??

B0dega_Cat t1_isx6hdt wrote

Ummmm... If the police don't investigate the homicide well and provide evidence, especially since so many are banned from going on the stand sure to a history of lying on the stand, then the DAO can't do much. You need evidence to convict someone and it's the PPD's job to collect it

randym99 t1_isxepno wrote

lol yes, I agree with you, I was being sarcastic haha, mocking all the people blaming 100% of the crime on the DAO when PPD is doing a terrible job too. DAO can't do it's job without police first doing theirs, but idiots will ask "why should police make arrests when DA isn't prosecuting"

PhillyPanda t1_isy0ie3 wrote

>Why is Krasner/Kenney not letting them answer the phone or respond to 911 calls??

Dispatchers are civilian employees employed by the city. Kenney could assist by making the hiring process less burdensome, removing residency requirements, increasing salary so we don’t have a dispatcher shortage

randym99 t1_isy6h7j wrote

The city's FY2023 budget includes those types of comments, noting they are down 31 dispatchers (of 246 expected, not counting 39 spots for trainees):

>Currently, Police Radio is 31 positions below its authorized staffing levels. We continue to work to fill these vacancies. We are working with OHR to finalize a pay evaluation and to streamline the hiring process in an effort to fill our vacancies and retain our dispatchers, once hired.

- https://www.phila.gov/media/20220526172241/Philadelphia-Police-Department-Budget-Detail-FY2023.pdf pgs 20, 25

Meaning yeah I think they're working on it, that budget was passed so doesn't look like Kenney is blocking any of that, just takes time.

Re: the residency requirement, I'm not sure that a city of 1.6M people should need to look outside its own borders to hire 30 dispatchers. I don't disagree in general that hiring requirements only add barriers but this doesn't feel like the reason that they're understaffed. I'd guess it's more the interviewing / processing of candidates and the low pay ($46-51k, though I don't know what the expectation for that job ought to be, apparently higher). [update: that range looks normal based on quick googling of other city dispatcher salaries, cities much higher COL than Philly]

Further, I'll check back through prior budgets and see how the current staffing level compares and if the headcount numbers correlate with the reduced response times (something I'd guess the Controller's report would have included if they found anything interesting, surely they did this simple check) and report back, stay tuned.

Update: yeah that group took a staffing hit (like literally every other lower-pay industry) during COVID and is struggling to refill positions. The answer is almost certainly paying more, which ofc being a municipal government is a pain to address.

_token_black t1_isyety2 wrote

Paying more and filling jobs within a reasonable amount of time. From anecdotes of people who have gone through the process, it takes months to go from application to decision, if you hear back at all.

Most people don't have the luxury of sitting around waiting for an answer. After a while, they'll go get a job somewhere else, probably in the private sector making more. I'm sure people want to work for the city, but when you couple low pay with a process that moves at a snail's pace, it's no surprise that vacancies seem to never get filled.

randym99 t1_isyfz4i wrote

That makes sense - I wonder who is responsible for / who could improve that. Of course Kenney / our next Mayor who actually gives a shit could and should make that a priority but the mayor is not the one that would actually be implementing it. Surely there's some office of HR or something we should be directing our concerns to. Oh I guess that quote above actually specifies the OHR haha:

https://www.phila.gov/departments/office-of-human-resources/

I'll check the budget detail and see if they talk about hiring timeline targets, but I doubt it.

Update: yep, OHR has 32 full time employees and, unless I'm missing something, only 2 performance targets listed, related to producing civil service eligible lists, whatever those are. I was hoping to see something like # of positions unfilled and for how long.

https://www.phila.gov/media/20220901170313/Mayors-FY2023-Operating-Budget-Detail-Book-I-Adopted.pdf, pgs 1133-1135

RustedRelics t1_isvb1x3 wrote

The constant refrain of “Krasner/Kenney” but never a mention of the person actually running the PPD. Why no criticism of Danielle Outlaw? The actual person running and overseeing the disaster outlined in the audit. Makes me wonder if the Portland PD was a god awful mess when she ran it. Anyone know?

B0dega_Cat t1_isx63r4 wrote

From my understanding she did the same in Portland, even down to the unofficial strike they're doing cause their feefees we're hurt

Aromat_Junkie t1_isvy2cd wrote

stop shifting the blame. We don't elect the PPD. We elect our leaders like Jimmy ratfuck Kenney. It's his job to ensure every department is running well. Our city signs off on negotiations with the police unions, our city pays them, our city... fuck it, WE PAY THEM. End of discussion.

−3

RustedRelics t1_isw1k6t wrote

Don’t disagree, except for the first sentence. I’m not shifting blame. Just pointing out that no one ever talks about the POLICE COMMISSIONER. You know… the person charged with running the PPD. I’m no fan of Kenney. But Outlaw seems to be always skating under the radar for the shit show that is HER DEPARTMENT.

Aromat_Junkie t1_isw1tqc wrote

my guess is because she's a newbie, she's a chick, and everyone knows she don't know what tf shes doing practically a political hire. Jimmy could fire her tomorrow no? So who's the problem? Who's supposed to keep her in line or?

SBRH33 t1_isunkpb wrote

It's literally her job description to find this stuff out and bring it forward to the public.

These findings are not surprising and a lot of the audit content has been known for a long while.

Good for Rebecca doing her job.

At least someone in philly government is.

Krasner is a fucking pompous disgrace. I would recommend everyone watch the entire Philly DA Documentary on Amazon prime.

It dosent hold up very well for Krasner and Company. What he did and what his office continues to do contrary to the safety and content of philly citizens is unconscionable.

Risachu4u t1_isvbbfo wrote

Don’t know why you are getting down voted. I work in audit as well and your statement is true. It is her job to evaluate their controls and bring forth the findings to the public. Loved reading her audit report. Written in such a way where it gets the point across in a stern manner while being professional.

this_shit t1_isubc71 wrote

Y'know what? I feel a little bit vindicated. I'm just gonna vibe with that for today.

HotjockGYO t1_isvlvz8 wrote

The mayor and Police Commissioner need to go. Reform needs to be made as pointed out by this report. Need to take on those who block getting cops out of administrative jobs and onto the streets. Hire clerks and non-cop professionals to do the administrative work. She is right, a complete reorganization is necessary starting with the Commissioner. I am impressed with the thoroughness and guts to call out the issues and opportunities.

latteswiirl t1_isvycoo wrote

PPD is critically understaffed to the point of desperation but still uses polygraphs as a disqualifier for recruitment. It’s almost laughable at this point.

ryanisntreal t1_isvvf9d wrote

They literally have told my wawa to stop calling for help unless it's a large scale theft. I guess someone with a gun (probably illegally required) threatening a manager doesn't warrant police presence

GreenAnder t1_isxky0v wrote

Here's the problem with the 'big 3' in the City, and I think that people across the political spectrum should be able to agree. Our leaders are ineffective. The problems in the city aren't so much about partisan policies but ineffectual leadership.

Kranser - Unable to effectively communicate to the public. Terrible retail politician, seems to be very bad at the human side of politics. Disorganized DA losing experienced progressive prosecutors.

Kenney - Checked out two years ago, is not interested in being mayor. Blames Harrisburg for everything, ie; saying their gun laws prevent us from enacting straw buyer legislation when the state of PA already has stray buyer legislation.

Outlaw - Better retail politician then Krasner, but PPD is disorganized. Unable to bring rank and file on board with new policies, unable to address leave situation. Recruitment policies are a joke, ie; veterans turned away because they used medical marijuana for pain management at some point.

_token_black t1_isyfjja wrote

You can add a few to that too:

Krasner - from all accounts is a dick to work both for and with

Kenney - once Trump was gone, seems to be allergic to public statements; pretty sure he gave out more soundbites on the leadup to the election/post election about Trump than he has in the 2 years since

Outlaw - as incompetent as she has been, is also shackled with a strong FOP that makes any reforms near impossible unless the state wants to threaten to break up that union (ha! no shot of this)

And again, the state legislature doesn't do the city any favors either. They're not anywhere near as problematic as the 3 people above + the FOP, but they only get involved in city matters when it benefits them politically.

DigitalHemlock t1_isuz6o4 wrote

Well, glad at least one person in government knows it.

RoverTheMonster t1_istzdqm wrote

Whaaaaaat?! Water is wet?!?

−1

WaterIsWetBot t1_istzidg wrote

Water is actually not wet; It makes other materials/objects wet. Wetness is the state of a non-liquid when a liquid adheres to, and/or permeates its substance while maintaining chemically distinct structures. So if we say something is wet we mean the liquid is sticking to the object.

Why are some fish at the bottom of the ocean?

They dropped out of school!

1NationUnderDog t1_isu0lp8 wrote

Paywall

Edit; anyone know why I was downvoted? I could not access the inquirerer article because of a paywall.

−2

1NationUnderDog t1_isuuxr9 wrote

Thank you.

Edit: I am still new to Reddit. Why was I downvoted? I could not access the Inquirerer article due to not paying for the Inquirerer. What did I miss, now? Good Lord.

TreeMac12 t1_it085l0 wrote

>Why was I downvoted?

There a bunch of Inquirer employees on this sub who will downvote you anytime you try to get around the paywall. Fewer than a dozen.

markskull t1_istz016 wrote

I don't have access to the article, sadly, but:

Is it because, since the PPA is private, people are forced to call 911 for minor traffic infractions like illegal parking, thus overloading the system?

−13

Unfamiliar_Word t1_isu1zfe wrote

If you have the time, and a sufficiently bureaucratic constitution, you may read the audit itself.

Conspicuously, the article in the Inquirer lacks any links to the audit. It wasn't difficult to find on the Comptroller's website, but it was annoying that I had to. I have never seen a news public report about a publicly available report and include a link to the report. I don't know why they fail their readers like this, but they are remarkably consistent in doing so.