Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

LootTheHounds t1_iy6xvh3 wrote

Fill that with straw, not blankets. In cold weather, a blanket can get cold and soggy, leading the cat to freeze to death. Straw is both insulating and drying.

https://www.alleycat.org/community-cat-care/straw-not-hay-for-outdoor-cat-shelters/

mastermobilizer OP t1_iy6y2e9 wrote

It’s actually heated because I don’t want him to get cold, you can see the extension cord on the side! Plus he usually comes inside if it gets really cold.

LootTheHounds t1_iy6y8h8 wrote

Okay, as long as he’s got indoor access and warmth. But if you have to be away and he has to be outside, don’t take chances. A double cooler shelter with styrofoam lining and straw makes for a snug winter shelter.

mastermobilizer OP t1_iy6yd4x wrote

I appreciate your concern! George is well taken care of by myself and other neighbors.

Pantone802 t1_iy7znot wrote

If you need straw for your cat shelters let me know. I bought way too much salt straw and I’d be happy to share with any fellow cat shelter havers.

H00die5zn t1_iy8056a wrote

Thanks for the reminder! I need to construct a castle for my street kings 🐱

MisterED1963 t1_iy6zu7c wrote

I think George needs glasses so he won't need to squint so much, take him to Wills eye for a vision exam.

Fit-Management2385 t1_iy7t1y4 wrote

Poor little George is going to freeze his beans off. Can front porch George become house George? Asking for a friend 🙂

mastermobilizer OP t1_iy8dg9e wrote

I definitely tried! George has strong opinions about being an indoor cat. He’s very polite but will just stand at the door waiting to be let out again.

SammieCat50 t1_iy7yyj4 wrote

Your a very good person for taking care of him like that

WoodenInternet t1_iy8du74 wrote

💗 Thanks for making sure he's warm! I don't know if you're aware so just posting in case you're not - Morris Animal Refuge has a program that spays/neuters community cats like this so you don't end up with 6 mini-Georges (as cute as they would be) come spring:

https://morrisanimalrefuge.org/community-cats-program/

mastermobilizer OP t1_iy8eyfu wrote

Thanks for the info! He’s already been fixed, his ear tip is hard to see in this picture. I foster through PAWS so he’ll have whatever care he needs in the future!

MissMalapropos t1_iy861su wrote

Aww! We have a George a too! He’s so cute. Thank you for taking care of him. Give that baby some catnip!

Safe-Position-7766 t1_iy8ohro wrote

I think I’ve seen George in the ally staring down MY ally cat..I recognize the botched hitler mustache

PennyLiner t1_iy8xybb wrote

George has an emo haircut and a mini 'stache, put in your ear plugs before he starts playing Sleeping With Sirens on his Spotify stream.

MetallicJoe t1_iy8kllt wrote

George has a twin living in some stores on 10th and Walnut (Ms. Punky Brewster!)

DiamondDog_13 t1_iyez11n wrote

I had to euthanize my patio cat, Nate Dogg, yesterday. She had a tumor which burst and she was (clearly) suffering. It was the first time I've ever had to make the decision and the first time I said goodbye to a fur friend. My husband and I are in so much pain. I cried cleaning her bowl off my step this morning. I know I did the right thing, but wow it sucks. I hope she sends along another friend to care for, and to care for us. We gave her food, shelter, and love for about 2 years. Thank you to everyone who cares for these babies, each of them are special.

katatattat26 t1_iy9dqy7 wrote

George is a much better name than my porch cat, Mama Scabies. 🤣🤣

blahtant t1_iyaabdz wrote

Sweet! We made one of them at our last house which didn’t allow pets. Called it the “cat condo” and at any time there could be any one of 5 different strays in there over winter

Awe_matters1 t1_iy800tc wrote

Please, if you are going to take care of him, take him in and give him a good home. Obviously you are feeding him, or he wouldn't stay around. My sister did this, and guess what? Other cats find out about the food you've been leaving him. My sister ended up with 50 cats. Feeding them all. Getting them spayed. Outfitting under her porch with hay. Great. Save the feline community. Her house stinks, and the mailmen and Amazon drivers don't want to go on her front porch, and friends and relatives won't come over. That's where this leads. Either take the cat in, or face the fact that you're starting your own colony. Then inform your neighbors. They might want to move. I'm going to get downvoted for this, but I've seen it with my sister and two of her friends also, that she met in a forum about taking care of feral colonies!!!!!!!!!

−14

diatriose t1_iy81hh4 wrote

OP said above, "It’s actually heated because I don’t want him to get cold, you can see the extension cord on the side! Plus he usually comes inside if it gets really cold."