Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SweetJibbaJams t1_iy9t16i wrote

It's not required for the driving test, unless things have changed dramatically. I took mine in the northeast, and i basically drove around the block and parallel parked - i can't imagine it has changed that much, although it has been a while....

Driving on the highway is definitely intimidating, and worth having at least a friend or family member help you go for the ride to build up a little confidence at some point, but I wouldn't say it needs to be before your test.

Honestly, driving in peak rush hour isn't that difficult either, since traffic isn't moving. It's really the times right before/after when there is a lot of traffic moving at high speed that highway driving can get a little hairy, so just plan your trips accordingly until you get more comfortable.

Gizz718 t1_iy9th4j wrote

yup, it is not required for the test. from what my instructor has told me, the test is pretty much the same now. they make sure i can turn the car and then parallel park. i just want to get used to driving with these psychos on the highway so i can go out of state and see my friends or go to a philadelphia union game.

i’ll try and get my roommate to let me try some highway driving with his car. might be tough getting it at 6am though. driving in rush hour is so annoying, most of my lessons have been at this time. going so slow, constantly starting and stopping is so tedious

boostednyg t1_iy9usd0 wrote

I'm not in Philly(snj) but driven over there a lot 20 years ago a driving school took me on the highway. I definitely recommend going out with a experienced driver I would also say some roads in NJ (295 42) are a nice in-between before jumping on 95 during less ideal hours. It's all comfort though be safe and enjoy🙃