Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SweetJibbaJams t1_iy9owyv wrote

If you want to experience highway driving, just drive in the early morning (before 6:30) or late at night (after 8pm). 95 is pretty forgiving comparatively to other highways in the region.

avoid challenging on-ramps such as south street, university city, spring garden, and girard.

Gizz718 t1_iy9s0k2 wrote

thanks, do you think i should just do that after my driving test? i have it scheduled for december 3. seems like people here don’t think it is too necessary now.

SweetJibbaJams t1_iy9t16i wrote

It's not required for the driving test, unless things have changed dramatically. I took mine in the northeast, and i basically drove around the block and parallel parked - i can't imagine it has changed that much, although it has been a while....

Driving on the highway is definitely intimidating, and worth having at least a friend or family member help you go for the ride to build up a little confidence at some point, but I wouldn't say it needs to be before your test.

Honestly, driving in peak rush hour isn't that difficult either, since traffic isn't moving. It's really the times right before/after when there is a lot of traffic moving at high speed that highway driving can get a little hairy, so just plan your trips accordingly until you get more comfortable.

Gizz718 t1_iy9th4j wrote

yup, it is not required for the test. from what my instructor has told me, the test is pretty much the same now. they make sure i can turn the car and then parallel park. i just want to get used to driving with these psychos on the highway so i can go out of state and see my friends or go to a philadelphia union game.

i’ll try and get my roommate to let me try some highway driving with his car. might be tough getting it at 6am though. driving in rush hour is so annoying, most of my lessons have been at this time. going so slow, constantly starting and stopping is so tedious

boostednyg t1_iy9usd0 wrote

I'm not in Philly(snj) but driven over there a lot 20 years ago a driving school took me on the highway. I definitely recommend going out with a experienced driver I would also say some roads in NJ (295 42) are a nice in-between before jumping on 95 during less ideal hours. It's all comfort though be safe and enjoy🙃

southwest40x4 t1_iya60xf wrote

You definitely do not go on the highway during the license test.

That said, I respect the hell out of you wanting to learn how to do it the right way. Ask a friend or family member to accompany you your first few times once you have your license. Start with 95. Graduate to 76. And remember, this time of year, lots of darkness. Daytime and nighttime highway driving can feel very different at first.

If you are having trouble finding someone to help you out, feel free to DM me.

HistoricalSubject t1_iy9nqii wrote

does the test take you on the highway like that?

20 years ago i took the test at the Norristown location, and we never did highway driving.

uptown_gargoyle t1_iy9oqfw wrote

Not when I took it either. But if somebody is seeking lessons for highway driving I really, really don't want to talk them out of it😬😬

SweetJibbaJams t1_iy9p5hp wrote

I can actually remember some of my first times driving on the highway, and how nervous I was. I wouldn't blame someone for wanting specific instruction

Gizz718 t1_iy9sx2u wrote

people are driving insane on girard already, idk what imma do on the highway. i spend a lot of time in nyc and philly. man i have seen how shit drivers are from nyc, nj and philly. swear half these guys don’t have a license. it’s just about going point a to point b as fast as possible i guess.

Gizz718 t1_iy9pzwx wrote

i’ve seen how these clowns drive and how banged up their cars are. i’m trying to not be like that.

Gizz718 t1_iy9ophg wrote

no but i want to learn how to drive on a highway properly. anyone i’ve talked to is shocked that my instructor isn’t teaching me how to drive on a highway. most of them are not from philly or didn’t learn to drive here though. i guess if they don’t teach it here then it makes a lot more sense why people here drive like that

liquidbluenight t1_iyalj0w wrote

Firstly, thank you for doing what you can to be a responsible driver! Secondly, please don’t ever stop at the end of a highway on ramp! On ramps are for bringing your speed up to the flow of traffic so you can safely merge. It blows my gasket every time I see someone stopped at the end of an on ramp - it’s even harder to safely merge when you’re starting from 0mph!

pasnow t1_iybavjl wrote

95S > 476N > 76E would probably be the best trip. Do it on a weekend morning (non-Eagles game)

Lizzardking666 t1_iya3hxd wrote

Was instructor for 12 years not really has to do with insurance but the instructor and the student if i seen you wernt ready to handle a highway you never got the highway also rather focus on the basics n fundamentals which is more than enough to pass the test which today is a total joke

Gizz718 t1_iyaht1q wrote

i called the driving school and they also independently said that nobody there does it because of insurance and liability. teacher has told me to just go with a friend or family member on the highway.

Lizzardking666 t1_iyaj3r0 wrote

Yup they are are instructors theses days no real teachers i was part of thebest school ever confident driving school at the time 2hours was 110 city 150 in the burbs and we actually taught the students we did serpetine cornering reversing, highway parking, change a flat, pump gas check fluids n pressures me personsally would teach how to maneuver a fast food drive thru esp with the younger students i got chewed out by a parent once but my reply made him feel soo small he apologized to me. i could open my own school however now years later no license to drive a car let alone run a school

pasnow t1_iybaceb wrote

Let 'er rip!

ryantyrant t1_iyd688d wrote

something my uncle taught me as a young lad. driving is 10% skill and 90% confidence. when it comes to driving on the highway, be aware of your surroundings, pay attention to your mirrors and just be confident. most accidents I've seen are from people that hesitate or are carelessly following too close behind another car. honestly, highway driving is easier than city driving because you're just going in a straight line, just a little nerve-wracking to get started but you got this!

SmokieThaBear1017 t1_iybqcy9 wrote

Just Take it easy. my first time driving on 95 it was during rush hour I was forced to my dad got rlly sick I had drive us home

mmw2848 t1_iycjmz6 wrote

John's Driving School took me on the highway when I did lessons with them in 2018. I used a different school prior to that, and I really felt John's taught me how to drive and not just pass the test.

saluttisalutti t1_iyd91bm wrote

I was always scared to drive on the highway but eventually had to force myself Because my job was in a different county . My best advice to you is get your drivers license first and once you have a car you can drive around in go on 202 ,95 or any highway nearby after 9pm and just stay in the slow lane. It took me about a few days to get comfortable with merging etc but doing it for a few days without much traffic is easy and safe. Don’t over think it and just stay calm . If you’re that nervous keep your hazard lights on an people will go around you .