Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Scumandvillany t1_iweix7o wrote

This is a CMX2.5 property, which means it can be 55' by right, and 70 + with bonuses, first floor commercial. The fucked up thing is all other corners are CMX4, which is sub skyscraper zoning. This corner should absolutely be CMX5, skyscraper by right. The trolley, the sub both have stops here. Thanks Darrel Clarke!

Edit:

MANDATORY SKYSCRAPER

phillyunk t1_iwen6po wrote

Bro…what did you just say?

alittlemouth t1_iweqp8t wrote

He said “build very tall [affordable] housing in place of this empty business” and the city said “no we can’t because we said a really little bit of this property can’t be a tall building a long time ago and it would be too much paperwork to change that, so here’s an empty McDonald’s. Enjoy!”

DougSethlas t1_iwer5kb wrote

The zoning of the property limits its development potential and is underzoned compared to the other corners that have zoning more appropriate for the area/location. Darrel Clarke is the local city council member for this area and the head of city council which has some say over zoning districts.

I think we can all agree that this McDonald’s and gas station/convenience store wasn’t the best use of this land, especially given the recent development in the area. I am curious to see how development will work here with at least two underground gas storage tanks. Lot of land remediation.

kdeltar t1_iwgc3qq wrote

Cmx means commercial mixed use. It’s poor form to use an acronym without first defining it

trashpandarevolution t1_iwer60n wrote

Can’t have that, people would move in. Can’t have that

watwatinjoemamasbutt t1_iwev6n3 wrote

Yup can’t have outsiders moving in who would potentially want some accountability from the city government siiiggghhhh

Raecino t1_iweyda1 wrote

Yeah good luck to anyone moving right there

CharlieKelly_Esq t1_iwg4z7r wrote

The issue is the land at this corner cannot support the weight of a taller building. I spend a lot of time down in the sewers foraging for rings and coins and directly under this spot is a hub for all the sewers in Philadelphia. Twice a day, a giant wall of water passes through here. (None of this is true.)

ImpendingSenseOfDoom t1_iwf45za wrote

God forbid his investment property... er... home depreciates slightly in the name of healthy urban fabric in his district!

KhandakerFaisal t1_iwgvlno wrote

What does any of this mean?

Scumandvillany t1_iwj1zid wrote

It means the property on this corner is zoned in a way that allows mid rise residential with commercial first floor by right. The other three corners are zoned CMX4, which can be quite a bit taller, like 11 stories by right with bonuses, or 22 stories with half lot coverage. Or so. My point is clarke SUCKS because he's responsible for this disparity, and furthermore he's responsible why this mega corner with subway stops /trolley stops and wide streets on both sides isn't all CMX5(skyscraper zoning) by right, as broad street should be from Oregon to the boulevard

Hence:

MANDATORY SKYSCRAPERS