Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

mrpeaceNunity t1_j1dch5w wrote

Our society is breaking down. I'm thinking about moving. Earlier this week someone riding in a septa bus was hit by a stray bullet.

I visited some small towns outside altoona a couple days ago for business. Martinsburg, holidaysburg, roaring springs there is no crime people don't even lock their doors everyone was nice. I have two kids less than 4 years old I think it's time to move to a nicer place in central pa.... Yeah there isn't any diversity and the food is going to suck but at least my kids will stay alive

−40

RufusLaButte t1_j1ddmdq wrote

There isn't just "no diversity and bad food", there aren't any jobs either, and there is an opiate problem that blows philly outta the water (people just don't tend to believe that because the population density is so much less and they don't round up users into a big open air market like they do in philly. But please understand your kids are no safer there). I got out of that area 18 years ago and even with all of Philly's problems I would never, ever go back.

CookedDenimRawPizza t1_j1de3iq wrote

Look leave or not I don’t care, but you clearly haven’t spent much time in central PA if you think it’s idyllic living. Unless your idea of idyllic living is rural/small town poverty and extreme amounts of bigotry.

Angsty_Potatos t1_j1dece4 wrote

Central pa is great for meth and literally 0 jobs. And it's not like this stuff doesn't happen out there... The first two experiences I ever had with bodies chopped up and put in a freezer being found were in a small quaint town in central pa

mrpeaceNunity t1_j1dmqo0 wrote

Well I'm looking at a corporate position there that's paying $180,000 and has a 30% bonus.

Corporations are pay more money now for talent than ever

−7

swerve408 t1_j1dduur wrote

Yeah crime didn’t exist before 2022, you got it all figured out

Mind_Initial t1_j1dh0gq wrote

Why not just move to a suburb? You don't need to live on a farm 30 miles from another human to avoid crime, just move out of one of the poorest big cities in America.

TheFAPnetwork t1_j1dld13 wrote

Damn, abandoning diversity for your kids and exposing them to bigotry sounds like some next level privilege

RufusLaButte t1_j1dskuq wrote

It's not even that, it's after all that, his kids literally won't be any safer. And they'll be running back to civilization the first chance they get.

PhillyPanda t1_j1dhj1y wrote

> the food is going to suck

Only if you’re a bad cook

dammit_dammit t1_j1du6tv wrote

This event is horrifying, but it's not a recent development at all. People have been murdering psychopaths since the beginning of time.

_heisenberg__ t1_j1duajv wrote

I’m not even from PA, native New Yorker, been here about 6 years. and even I know that central pa is something you are not prepared for.