Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Jlaybythebay t1_j6kua9l wrote

How many had a helmet on?

−84

a-german-muffin t1_j6kwjrd wrote

Helmets are designed to protect you falling off your bike (a 2-meter drop at about 15 mph), which is immaterial when you get plastered by an F-150.

Er3bus13 t1_j6kurgo wrote

While they do help a bicyclist still has a 50% turn to meat paste ratio. Also, your not walking away unscathed like at all. stats

Jlaybythebay t1_j6kxajh wrote

I’m not saying you are walking away, but a helmet can mean the difference between life and death

−62

Er3bus13 t1_j6kydss wrote

You were blaming the victim. It happens on reddit all the time.

Jlaybythebay t1_j6kzfj6 wrote

Not blaming the victim, just trying to educate others that you can protect yourself by wearing a helmet and having a light on your bike.

−38

Er3bus13 t1_j6kzti2 wrote

All good man. Hope your wheels are always on the right side of road. Stay safe.

Sent_From_time t1_j6l36gs wrote

That is a good question. It may seem like they are being cold however, that is how research is done to see every aspect of this sad reality. How many were following traffic laws. I see a lot of bikes roll through red lights and stop signs. I rarely see any signaling. I understand it is a bike and it is not a motor vehicle. However, I’ve witnessed cars having to avoid cyclists not following basic traffic laws. And some with children on the bike. I never want to see anyone get hurt and we can all be better.

−23

Prestigious-Owl-6397 t1_j6lfmnx wrote

This isn't a question that's easily answered. Most intersections and traffic laws were not made with cyclists' safety in mind, nor were they made with any recognition of how bicycles operate. Sometimes these situations lead cyclists to cautiously break the law, and sometimes the law is simply ridiculous. For example, if there's debris in the bike lane and you exit the bike lane to avoid running over debris that can puncture your tires, any drivers behind you who hit you because they weren't paying attention to the bike lane or were speeding won't be held responsible. This sometimes leads cyclists to completely avoid bike lanes known to be full of trash.

That being said, most minorities are judged by the few, and cyclists are no exception. A group of engineers in Denmark studied traffic cameras in multiple cities around the world. They observed 106,000 cyclists, and only 5% broke the law. They actually found a higher percentage of drivers who broke the law. Of that 5%, only 1% recklessly broke the law. The other 4% were incidents like I described above. https://youtu.be/USAeytatNe4

Sent_From_time t1_j6lh6ly wrote

Wait, did you just compare cyclists to minorities that have been oppressed for centuries in this country?

−15

Prestigious-Owl-6397 t1_j6lix7w wrote

Minorities refers to anyone in the minority in this instance. Most people in the US drive cars. Therefore, motorists are the majority. Only about 1% of Americans commute by bike. Therefore, bicyclists are the minority. Anytime you have a clear minority, it's easier for people in the majority category to judge the minority category by a few people. I'm not saying this is right. Of course ethnic minorities faced atrocities that a white cyclist never had to face. They're not comparable, and I wasn't comparing them. I was using minority in the strict sense of the word.

Sent_From_time t1_j6lm74v wrote

Yeah, thats a lot of words that simmer down to “my foot is now officially in my mouth.”

−9

DavidLieberMintz t1_j6lnhnw wrote

The word minority is not synonymous with people of color. It literally means not the majority. Most Americans do not ride bikes, so cyclists are the minority.

napsdufroid t1_j6mqmg2 wrote

> I see a lot of bikes roll through red lights and stop signs. I rarely see any signaling.

Sad how you're getting downvoted for an absolute fact

−1

Badkevin t1_j6lmgy2 wrote

That’s not really true. That’s driver car brand marketing right there. A driver kills the cyclists and the first question is if the cyclist had a helmet. A driver kills a pedestrian and the first question is what is the pedestrian jaywalking. These kind of questions only makes sense in America. Broaden your horizons bike in different countries and just see how far behind we are

Jlaybythebay t1_j6mn0xo wrote

Let’s look at china. They have made helmets mandatory for e-bikes. Are they also blaming the victims or do they see a problem and are trying to fix it?

https://www.who.int/china/activities/protecting-chinese-e-bike-users-from-road-injuries-and-deaths

Badkevin t1_j6n5ji8 wrote

Helmets are a good idea I’m not disagreeing. But the idea that a helmet, a piece of foam and plastic will somehow protect you for a 1,000 LB metal cage going over 5MPH is insane. The helmets are for short falls only.

AbsentEmpire t1_j6n3h2k wrote

A helmet isn't going to help you when a speeding 5ton SUV slams into you.

piddling_around t1_j6le6xm wrote

As a bicyclist who consistently wears a helmet, unfortunately the statistics suggest wearing a helmet isn't always helpful. Observational and experimental studies show drivers pass cyclists wearing a helmet closer than they do bicyclists without a helmet. Even worse, drivers are more likely to hit cyclists wearing a helmet. Bicycle helmets are designed to protect against head injury in low-speed crashes. They don't protect against massive bodily trauma or prevent higher force head injuries. So while helmets can reduce head injuries if a fall happens, cyclists are not inherently safer overall just because they chose to wear a helmet. I choose to wear one, but the evidence suggests my helmet may only be altering the nature of the danger of biking instead of reducing it.

cashonlyplz t1_j6n6aty wrote

My injuries were to my ribcage. I was wearing a helmet. My head was fine. I still have PT to do to get my balance back to 100%, years later