Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

enn_sixty_four t1_j6l4e8g wrote

How convenient is all that? Do ya just grab two go pros every time you go to your bike and mount them each time? Is it being recorded on the device or cloud data or something? (Never used a GoPro I have no idea how any of that works)

Glystopher t1_j6l4u31 wrote

I’ll figure it out. Can’t leave the camera anywhere anyhow, it’s gotta come in or get stolen. I think they have onboard storage, and computer storage is cheap if I want to keep videos, or just erase them if nothing noteworthy happened

Laserdollarz t1_j6le9o5 wrote

You can get ebike "dashcams". You can run them off a 12v power supply, or you can hardwire them with a step-down voltage converter.

After that, I recommend a motion detecting alarm system. If I arm it and jiggle the bike, it gives a loud "I know you're there" beep. 5 seconds of jiggling and it lets loose 113db of "leave me alone" klaxon.

Then, insurance. You can insure your bike for whatever you value it at.

Now that you've got all that covered, all you need worry about is everyone operating a vehicle. Ugh.

Glystopher t1_j6nen9c wrote

Got details on your setup?

Laserdollarz t1_j6nfag5 wrote

I don't have cameras but I have a stepdown powering a motorcycle headlight.

This is my alarm: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B094XPGJRC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I have full coverage insurance for theft/damage/vandalism through Velosurance. They'll cover it if I have it on my bike rack and get rear ended, they'll cover it if I crash it off a cliff. They'll cover it if someone sneaks over and cuts all my wires. Peace of mind for a big purchase/beloved toy.

Glystopher t1_j6o5nm3 wrote

Yep I had an Ariel rider grizzly but didn’t want to pay velosurance, isn’t it expensive??? I have an injury lawyer working on my case and my renters might help

Laserdollarz t1_j6o6bdr wrote

I think I paid a little over $200 for a year of coverage for a $2000 bike, with added medical and property insurance. $400 deductible. Bike theft is really really bad in Denver and I'm kind of planning on it getting stolen eventually, unfortunately

a-german-muffin t1_j6mf2x9 wrote

It’s not bad, but yeah, takes maybe an extra 45 seconds to slap on the cameras (my rear one drops into a frame that’s already on the bike/trailer, other one slides into a helmet mount) — you can set them so they start shooting video just by hitting the shutter, no need to even power them on.

Mine just write to the onboard storage (microSDs), but I have the option of streaming live if I want (although my commute’s usually not that interesting). Battery life is good enough that I can do my full commute (about 20 minutes one way and 15-20 back) without needing to recharge at work.